Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
It’s one of those unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy – wind – and let’s be blunt here, we’re talking burping, farting and bloating. And it always happens at the most opportune moments. I remember a poor pregnant mamma leaving kindergarten one day, and she farted all the way down the stairs. I felt embarrassed for her but just didn’t know what to say (so I did the ‘pretend like nothing happened’ thing!).
It can be embarrassing and uncomfortable when you’re experiencing more gas production than normal and it’s all due to the increase of the hormone, progesterone, which begins in early pregnancy. Progesterone (as well as relaxin) relaxes the smooth muscle tissue throughout your body. Unfortunately not even your digestive tract is left unscathed! This slows down food digestion which results in more gas being created in the large intestine, as a result of food that is not fully digested by enzymes.
How Can I Help Relieve Gas During Pregnancy?
Here is a list of ideas which may help you get some relief from the pain and amount of gas you are experience.
- Eat regularly, but choose several small meals throughout the day rather than less frequent, larger meals
- Eat and chew slowly and avoid talking or gulping while you’re eating
- Choose to drink between meals instead of during meals, and when you do have a drink, drink from a glass (without gulping) as opposed to a bottle or a straw.
- Avoid fizzy/carbonated drinks
- Put your legs up to relieve pressure from your abdomen in order to assist digestion
- Sit upright while you’re eating or drinking
- Avoid wearing any tight clothing or belts, choose comfortable and loose clothing
- Avoid chewing gum or sucking on hard lollies
- Avoid artificially sweetened products and drinks (often in diet drinks)
- Exercise can help – try a brisk walk around the block after a meal for around 20 minutes or so
- Peppermint tea is safe to take and may provide relief
- If you have a tendency to be anxious or tense, learn some relaxation techniques or take up a activity like pilates (which is also good for core strength) or yoga.
Slower digestion can also result in constipation, so it’s a good idea to prevent this from happening. You can avoid constipation by increasing fibre intake slowly and drinking more water. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegies help too. Some fibre supplements can be used during pregnancy if you need extra help, but speak to your doctor, midwife or pharmacist first.
Foods To Avoid If You Have Gas
Some foods are known for making you more windy, so see if you can find out which of these may be causing problems for you or start a process of elimination – you might like to keep a food journal in order to spot the culprit(s). The sugar fructose is found in some of the below and something to be avoided
- Beans & other legumes
- Brussel Sprouts
- Milk or cheese
Fatty and fried foods can slow down digestion, so try and avoid it as best you can.
Will The Extra Gas Affect Baby?
The gas production wont harm your baby, but if you notice any intense pain or cramping, check with your doctor or midwife.
Read our members stories, what caused their gas and what helped here.
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to two beautiful children. Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook here or add Kelly as a friend (frequently adding articles and stories) here.
More Pregnancy Articles
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis Test In Pregnancy – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You About Formula
- Baby Names – Baby Boy Names
- Baby Names – Baby Girl Names
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun Baby Shower Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 6 Fun Ideas For Baby Showers
- Birth Education – 9 Reasons Why You Should Choose Independent Birth Education
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes of Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Blessingways: What Is A Blessingway And Why Do Pregnant Women Love Them?
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms, Causes & Treatment For Chemical Pregnancy
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want A Doula?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Ectopic Pregnancy – Symptoms Of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Genital Herpes – Pregnancy and Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes (GD) During Pregnancy
- Haemorrhoids: Fast Treatments For Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I? Calculating Weeks Pregnant
- Hyperemesis Gravidarum In Pregnancy – Symptoms And Treatments
- Internal Examinations During Pregnancy and Labour – Are Exams Really Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria When Pregnant
- Low Lying Placenta & Placenta Praevia
- Maternity Bras – When Should I Get A Maternity Bra?
- Miscarriage – Why Miscarriages Happen And When They Occur
- Morning Sickness In Pregnancy – When Does Morning Sickness Start And What Remedies Help?
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug / Show in Pregnancy – What Is The Mucus Plug?!
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetricians – 11 Questions To Ask Before Choosing An Obstetrician
- Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – Helping Your Baby Find A Good Position For Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Can Osteopathy Help Me During Pregnancy?
- Paid Maternity Leave and Parental Leave in Australia for 2011
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your Baby – Preparing Your Pet For A Baby
- Placenta Praevia (Placenta Covering The Cervix)
- Pre Natal Yoga
- Pre-Eclampsia in Pregnancy – Symptoms of Pre-Eclampsia
- Pre-Natal Testing & Screening
- Pregnancy Calculator – Calculate Your Estimated Pregnancy Due Date
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms: Early Symptoms of Pregnancy – 16 Signs of Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Test – When to Test For Pregnancy and How Do Pregnancy Tests Work?
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – What Happens During Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnant and Flying? Tips for Flying While Pregnant
- Pregnant Or Trying To Get Pregnant? First Signs Of Pregnancy
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Raspberry Leaf Tea in Pregnancy – Benefits of Red Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Factor – Negative Rhesus Factor in Pregnancy
- Sciatica and Pregnancy – Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Use Sex Toys During Pregnancy?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Side Effects During Pregnancy – And What You Can Do To Help
- Sleep During Pregnancy – Which Side Do I Sleep On? Sleeping Positions For Pregnancy
- Smoking During Pregnancy – FAQ’s on Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Stretch Marks In Pregnancy – How Do You Prevent And Remove Stretch Marks?
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- The Flu When Pregnant – Should Pregnant Women Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Thrush During Pregnancy – Vaginal Thrush Symptoms And Treatments
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?