|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Gas During Pregnancy – A Windy Problem
It’s one of those unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy – wind – and let’s be blunt here, we’re talking burping, farting and bloating. And it always happens at the most opportune moments. I remember a poor pregnant mamma leaving kindergarten one day, and she farted on her way down the stairs. I felt embarrassed for her but just didn’t know what to say (so I did the ‘pretend like nothing happened’ thing!).
It can be embarrassing and uncomfortable when you’re experiencing more gas production than normal and it’s all due to the increase of the hormone, progesterone, which begins in early pregnancy. Progesterone (as well as relaxin) relaxes the smooth muscle tissue throughout your body. Unfortunately not even your digestive tract is left unscathed! This slows down food digestion which results in more gas being created in the large intestine, as a result of food that is not fully digested by enzymes.
How Can I Help Relieve Gas During Pregnancy?
Here is a list of ideas which may help you get some relief from the pain and amount of gas you are experience.
- Eat regularly, but choose several small meals throughout the day rather than less frequent, larger meals
- Eat and chew slowly and avoid talking or gulping while you’re eating
- Choose to drink between meals instead of during meals, and when you do have a drink, drink from a glass (without gulping) as opposed to a bottle or a straw.
- Avoid fizzy/carbonated drinks
- Put your legs up to relieve pressure from your abdomen in order to assist digestion
- Sit upright while you’re eating or drinking
- Avoid wearing any tight clothing or belts, choose comfortable and loose clothing
- Avoid chewing gum or sucking on hard lollies
- Avoid artificially sweetened products and drinks (often in diet drinks)
- Exercise can help – try a brisk walk around the block after a meal for around 20 minutes or so
- Peppermint tea is safe to take and may provide relief
- If you have a tendency to be anxious or tense, learn some relaxation techniques or take up a activity like pilates (which is also good for core strength) or yoga.
Slower digestion can also result in constipation, so it’s a good idea to prevent this from happening. You can avoid constipation by increasing fibre intake slowly and drinking more water. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegies help too. Some fibre supplements can be used during pregnancy if you need extra help, but speak to your doctor, midwife or pharmacist first.
Foods To Avoid If You Have Gas
Some foods are known for making you more windy, so see if you can find out which of these may be causing problems for you or start a process of elimination – you might like to keep a food journal in order to spot the culprit(s). The sugar fructose is found in some of the below and something to be avoided
- Beans & other legumes
- Brussel Sprouts
- Milk or cheese
Fatty and fried foods can slow down digestion, so try and avoid it as best you can.
Will The Extra Gas Affect Baby?
The gas production wont harm your baby, but if you notice any intense pain or cramping, check with your doctor or midwife.
Read our members stories, what caused their gas and what helped here.
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- 15 Things That Make Pregnant Women Cry
- Insomnia During Pregnancy – 16 Tips To Beat Pregnancy Insomnia
- 10 Procedures You May Want To Reject During Pregnancy
- Man-ternity Photos: A Solution When She Doesn’t Want Maternity Photos
- Single and Pregnant: 12 Tips For Coping With Pregnancy
- 10 Things Your Mother Didn’t Tell You About Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Fatigue – 14 Tips To Combat Fatigue In Pregnancy
- Pregnant Belly Painting: 25 Gorgeous Painted Pregnant Bellies
- 8 Reasons Not To Find Out The Sex Of Your Baby
- Bedrest In Pregnancy – 14 Survival Tips For Pregnant Mammas
- 11 Things Every Pregnant Mamma Must Do Before Giving Birth
- Maternity Hospital Tours: 15 Questions To Ask
- Awkward Pregnancy Photos – 28 Cringeworthy Photos!
- 11 Things You Swore You Wouldn’t Do During Pregnancy (But Do Anyway)
- “Help! I Drank Alcohol Before I Found Out I Was Pregnant!”
- Pregnancy Myths – 10 Big Pregnancy Myths: Busted
- Not Enjoying Being Pregnant? 8 Helpful Tips
- 36 Awesome Things About Being Pregnant
- Bonding During Pregnancy – 12 Ways To Bond With Your Baby
- 14 Things That Get Harder When You’re Pregnant