Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
Below are a list of old wives tales we were able to find – if you have any you would like to add, email us and we may add them to the list!
Old Wives’ Tale #1 – Linea Nigra
Latin for ‘black line’, a linea nigra may appear on your belly during pregnancy (some women wont get it – doesn’t mean anything!). This is a purple/brownish line which extends down the middle of your belly to your pubic area, about 1cm in width. It’s known that hormones cause the linea nigra pigmentation, but it’s not known why it forms in the vertical line that it does.
The old wives tale is this – if you get a línea nigra and it runs from your pubic area to your belly button only, it’s a girl, and if it goes all the way up from your pubic area to the bottom-most part of you rib cage, then it’s a boy.
Old Wives’ Tale #2 – Carrying High or Low?
This is a well known old wives tale – so many people will want to look at your belly and think they can guess just from looking! So as the tale goes, if you are carrying low, it’s a boy, or if you’re carrying high it’s a girl. We wont tell them that the way the baby is carried is actually a reflection of your own body shape, muscle, baby’s position and other physical factors!
Old Wives’ Tale #3 – The Draino Thingo
There is an old wives tale that involves mixing your urine with Draino but not only is Draino dangerous and bad for you, it’s bad for the environment too. So we don’t recommend this one.
Old Wives’ Tale #4 – Is Your Skin Dry or Soft?
If your skin is dry, you’re said to be having a boy – and if it’s soft, then a girl is on the way.
Old Wives’ Tale #5 – What’s Baby’s Heart rate?
First, to set the record straight, until it’s born, your baby’s heart rate will not be affected by it’s gender. But so they say, if you’re carrying a girl, then baby’s heart rate will be above 140bpm (beats per minute). A boy is said to have a heart rate under 140bpm. A study published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine (1996) has dismissed this theory, as has other research. Your baby’s heart rate will change often during a pregnancy, depending on the baby’s age and it’s movement. Anything from 120-160bpm is normal for an unborn baby.
Old Wives’ Tale #6 – Your Flowing Locks
Has your hair become thinner and dull? Or full-bodied and glossy? Thin and dull says girl, gorgeous and glossy says a boy.
Old Wives’ Tale #7 – Where Are You Carrying Extra Weight?
Even those extra pregnancy kilos are said to give us an insight into your baby’s gender! If you are carrying extra weight at the front, then you’re having a boy… but if you are carrying extra weight on your bum and hips, then you have been carrying a girl. What about dad-to-be? If he’s gaining weight with you, apparently you’re having a girl. If he’s put on no weight, a boy for you!
Old Wives’ Tale #8 – Numbers…
Because if you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd – then it’s a girl on the way. If the resulting number is even, then it’s a boy for you.
Old Wives’ Tale #9 – Sweet, Salty or Sour?
Another well known old wives tale!!! Are you craving sweet foods like juice, fruits and chocolate? if so, old wives say that you could be having a girl. But if you’re craving sour or salty foods, then you could be having a boy. It’s also said that if you are having a boy, you will crave protein like meat and dairy. I have trouble believing this one because I think we’d be overrun by a population of females – we all love chocolate pregnant or not!
Old Wives’ Tale #10 – Wedding Ring Test
Get your wedding ring (or other ring/needle/pin) and attach it with a strand of your hair or some string. Lie down and dangle the ring over your belly. If it starts moving in circles, you are having a boy, or if it moves like a pendulum from side to side, then you are having a girl.
Old Wives’ Tale #11 – Got Morning Sickness?
Did you experience morning sickness in early pregnancy? If you did, then you’re said to be carrying a girl, but if you didn’t have morning sickness, then it’s a boy. Oh! That one was actually true for me!
Old Wives’ Tale #12 – How About Those Cold Feet?
If your feet get colder than they used to pre-pregnancy, it’s a sign you have a boy on the way. If your feet are the same, then it’s a girl!
Old Wives’ Tale #13 – How Do You Look?
Do you look better than ever while pregnant? Or has the pregnancy done your looks no favours? As it goes, if you look great during pregnancy, then you are carrying a boy. If you don’t look too flash, you’re having a girl, because she’s stolen all your good looks!
Old Wives’ Tale #14 – The Breast Test!
If you look in the mirror at your breasts, which one is larger? If it’s the right one, you’re carrying a boy and for a larger left breast, then it’s a girl. Which only leaves one question… if your breasts are both the same size, does that mean one of each? I’ll leave you with that to ponder!
Old Wives’ Tale #15 – North or South?
When you sleep, is your pillow north or south? If it’s north, then expect a boy, or south means a girl is on the way.
Old Wives’ Tale #16 – Pimples, Schimiples…
If you get acne during pregnancy, apparently you’re having a girl, and if you don’t, then you’re carrying a boy. Want to know the real reason you get acne? Check out our article, Acne During Pregnancy.
Old Wives’ Tale #17 – Are You A Lefty or a Righty?
When you sleep, do you sleep on your left? Because if you do, then it’s a boy for you! On your right, a girl is in sight.
Old Wives’ Tale #18 – Check Out Your Wee!
Okay…. now apparently if you have bright yellow urine, then you’re carrying a boy, but if it’s dull / clear, then you’re carrying a girl. On a serious note though, if you have dark urine, up your water intake as you may be dehydrated.
Old Wives’ Tale #19 -What Does Your Belly Look Like?
A basketball or a watermelon? Because if it looks more like a basketball, then old wives say boy, but if it more resembles a watermelon then it’s a girl.
Old Wives’ Tale #20 – Hairy Legs?
Has the hair on your legs grown faster than normal? Or has it grown just like normal? Because if it’s growing faster than it did pre-pregnancy, then you’re said to be having a boy.
Take a Guess!
After all, you have 50% chance of getting it right! In fact, it’s likely to be even more than that. In doing my research, I came across an article which said a study was done on mother’s guessing the gender. The women (who didn’t yet know their baby’s sex), guessed the correct sex of their baby 71% of the time. Not bad!!!
These are all old wives tales only and we take no responsibility for their accuracy!!!
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook here or add Kelly as a friend (frequently adding articles and stories) here. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional.
More Pregnancy Articles
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis Test In Pregnancy – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You About Formula
- Baby Names – Baby Boy Names
- Baby Names – Baby Girl Names
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun Baby Shower Games
- Birth Education – 9 Reasons Why You Should Choose Independent Birth Education
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes of Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Blessingways: What Is A Blessingway And Why Do Pregnant Women Love Them?
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms, Causes & Treatment For Chemical Pregnancy
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want A Doula?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Ectopic Pregnancy – Symptoms Of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Genital Herpes – Pregnancy and Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes (GD) During Pregnancy
- Haemorrhoids: Fast Treatments For Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I? Calculating Weeks Pregnant
- Hyperemesis Gravidarum In Pregnancy – Symptoms And Treatments
- Internal Examinations During Pregnancy and Labour – Are Exams Really Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria When Pregnant
- Low Lying Placenta & Placenta Praevia
- Maternity Bras – When Should I Get A Maternity Bra?
- Miscarriage – When a Miscarriage Occurs and Why It Can Happen
- Morning Sickness In Pregnancy – When Does Morning Sickness Start And What Remedies Help?
- Mucus Plug / Show in Pregnancy – What Is The Mucus Plug?!
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetricians – 11 Questions To Ask Before Choosing An Obstetrician
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – Helping Your Baby Find A Good Position For Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Can Osteopathy Help Me During Pregnancy?
- Paid Maternity Leave and Parental Leave in Australia for 2011
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your Baby – Preparing Your Pet For A Baby
- Placenta Praevia (Placenta Covering The Cervix)
- Pre Natal Yoga
- Pre-Eclampsia in Pregnancy – Symptoms of Pre-Eclampsia
- Pre-Natal Testing & Screening
- Pregnancy Calculator – Calculate Your Estimated Pregnancy Due Date
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms: Early Symptoms of Pregnancy – 16 Signs of Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Test – When to Test For Pregnancy and How Do Pregnancy Tests Work?
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – What Happens During Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnant and Flying? Tips for Flying While Pregnant
- Pregnant Or Trying To Get Pregnant? First Signs Of Pregnancy
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Raspberry Leaf Tea in Pregnancy – Benefits of Red Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Factor – Negative Rhesus Factor in Pregnancy
- Sciatica and Pregnancy – Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Use Sex Toys During Pregnancy?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Side Effects During Pregnancy – And What You Can Do To Help
- Sleep During Pregnancy – Which Side Do I Sleep On? Sleeping Positions For Pregnancy
- Smoking and Pregnancy – FAQ’s on Smoking While Pregnant
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Stretch Marks In Pregnancy – How Do You Prevent And Remove Stretch Marks?
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- The Flu When Pregnant – Should Pregnant Women Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Thrush During Pregnancy – Thrush Symptoms And Treatments
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?