|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Boy or Girl? 20 Old Wives Tales Gender Predictions
Below are a list of old wives tales we were able to find – if you have any you would like to add, email us and we may add them to the list!
Old Wives’ Tale #1 – Linea Nigra
Latin for ‘black line’, a linea nigra may appear on your belly during pregnancy. This is a purple/brownish line which extends down the middle of your belly to your pubic area, about 1cm in width. It’s known that hormones cause the linea nigra pigmentation, but it’s not known why it forms in the vertical line that it does.
The old wives tale is this – if you get a línea nigra and it runs from your pubic area to your belly button only, it’s a girl, and if it goes all the way up from your pubic area to the bottom-most part of you rib cage, then it’s a boy.
Old Wives’ Tale #2 – Carrying High or Low?
This is a well known old wives tale – so many people will want to look at your belly and think they can guess just from looking! So as the tale goes, if you are carrying low, it’s a boy, or if you’re carrying high it’s a girl. We wont tell them that the way the baby is carried is actually a reflection of your own body shape, muscle, baby’s position and other physical factors.
Old Wives’ Tale #3 – The Draino Thingo
There is an old wives tale that involves mixing your urine with Draino resulting in the Draino changing colour. Not only is this false, but Draino is dangerous and very bad for the environment, so we don’t recommend this one.
Old Wives’ Tale #4 – Is Your Skin Dry or Soft?
If your skin is dry, you’re said to be having a boy – and if it’s soft, then a girl is on the way.
Old Wives’ Tale #5 – What’s Baby’s Heart rate?
They say that if you’re carrying a girl, your baby’s heart rate will be above 140bpm (beats per minute). A boy is said to have a heart rate under 140bpm. However, a study published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine (1996) has dismissed this theory, as has other research. Your baby’s heart rate will change often during a pregnancy, depending on the baby’s age and it’s movement. Anything from 120-160bpm is normal for an unborn baby.
Old Wives’ Tale #6 – Your Flowing Locks
Has your hair become thinner and dull? Or full-bodied and glossy? Thin and dull says you’re having a girl, gorgeous and glossy says a boy.
Old Wives’ Tale #7 – Where Are You Carrying Extra Weight?
Even those extra pregnancy kilos are said to provide an insight into your baby’s gender! If you are carrying extra weight at the front, then you’re having a boy… but if you are carrying extra weight on your bum and hips, then you have been carrying a girl. What about dad-to-be? If he’s gaining weight with you, apparently you’re having a girl. If he’s put on no weight, a boy for you!
Old Wives’ Tale #8 – Numbers…
If you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd – then it’s a girl on the way. If the resulting number is even, then it’s a boy for you.
Old Wives’ Tale #9 – Sweet, Salty or Sour?
Another well known old wives tale! Are you craving sweet foods like juice, fruits and chocolate? if so, old wives say that you could be having a girl. But if you’re craving sour or salty foods, then you could be having a boy. It’s also said that if you are having a boy, you will crave protein like meat and dairy. I have trouble believing this one because I think by now we’d be overrun with a population of females – chocolate, yum!
Old Wives’ Tale #10 – Wedding Ring Test (AKA Needle Or Pin Test)
Get your wedding ring (or other ring / a needle / a pin) and attach it with a strand of your hair or some string. Lie down and dangle the ring over your belly. If it starts moving in circles, you are having a boy, or if it moves like a pendulum from side to side, then you are having a girl.
Old Wives’ Tale #11 – Got Morning Sickness?
Did you experience morning sickness in early pregnancy? If you did, then you’re said to be carrying a girl, but if you didn’t have morning sickness, then it’s a boy. Oh! That one was actually true for me!
Old Wives’ Tale #12 – How About Those Cold Feet?
If your feet get colder than they used to pre-pregnancy, it’s a sign you have a boy on the way. If your feet are the same, then it’s a girl!
Old Wives’ Tale #13 – How Do You Look?
Do you look better than ever while pregnant? Or has the pregnancy done your looks no favours? As it goes, if you look great during pregnancy, then you are carrying a boy. If you don’t look too flash, you’re having a girl, because she’s stolen all your good looks!
Old Wives’ Tale #14 – The Breast Test!
If you look in the mirror at your breasts, which one is larger? If it’s the right one, you’re carrying a boy and for a larger left breast, then it’s a girl. Which only leaves one question… if your breasts are both the same size, does that mean one of each? I’ll leave you with that to ponder!
Old Wives’ Tale #15 – North or South?
When you sleep, is your pillow north or south? If it’s north, then expect a boy, or south means a girl is on the way.
Old Wives’ Tale #16 – Pimples, Schimiples…
If you get acne during pregnancy, apparently you’re having a girl, and if you don’t, then you’re carrying a boy. Want to know the real reason you get acne? Check out our article, Acne During Pregnancy.
Old Wives’ Tale #17 – Are You A Lefty or a Righty?
When you sleep, do you sleep on your left? Because if you do, then it’s a boy for you! On your right, a girl is in sight. It’s actually much better for you to sleep on your left side while pregnant – read more here.
Old Wives’ Tale #18 – Check Out Your Wee!
Okay…. now apparently if you have bright yellow urine, then you’re carrying a boy, but if it’s dull / clear, then you’re carrying a girl. On a serious note though, if you have dark urine, up your water intake as you are likely dehydrated or not drinking enough water.
Old Wives’ Tale #19 -What Does Your Belly Look Like?
A basketball or a watermelon? Because if it looks more like a basketball, then old wives say boy, but if it more resembles a watermelon then it’s a girl.
Old Wives’ Tale #20 – Hairy Legs?
Has the hair on your legs grown faster than normal? Or has it grown just like normal? Because if it’s growing faster than it did pre-pregnancy, then you’re said to be having a boy.
Take a Guess!
After all, you have 50% chance of getting it right! In fact, it’s likely to be even more than that. In doing my research, I came across an article which said a study was done on mother’s guessing the gender. The women (who didn’t yet know their baby’s sex), guessed the correct sex of their baby 71% of the time. Not bad!!!
These are all old wives tales only and we take no responsibility for their accuracy!!!
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook here. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional.
More Pregnancy Articles
- “Help! I Drank Alcohol Before I Found Out I Was Pregnant!”
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Things Your Mother Didn’t Tell You About Pregnancy
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 11 Things Every Pregnant Mamma Must Do Before Giving Birth
- 11 Things You Should NOT Say To A Pregnant Woman
- 11 Things You Swore You Wouldn’t Do During Pregnancy (But Do Anyway)
- 14 Things That Get Harder When You’re Pregnant
- 15 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 16 Things Pregnant Women Want Their Partners To Know
- 36 Awesome Things About Being Pregnant
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 8 Reasons Not To Find Out The Sex Of Your Baby
- 8 Things You Must Know About Preventing Postnatal Depression
- 9 BIG Reasons Why Independent Birth Education Gets Better Results
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Awkward Pregnancy Photos – 28 Cringeworthy Photos!
- Baby Boy Names – Names For Boys
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You
- Baby Girl Names – Names For Girls
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun and Enteraining Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 9 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
- Bedrest In Pregnancy – 14 Survival Tips For Pregnant Mammas
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – 6 Causes of Bleeding
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Bonding During Pregnancy – 12 Ways To Bond With Your Baby
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Breast Changes During Pregnancy – 7 Different Changes
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – 11 Tips To Beat Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Early Signs Of Pregnancy – The Very First Signs
- Ectopic Pregnancy – Signs and Symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Windy Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
- How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Internal Exam In Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Hospital Tours: 15 Questions To Ask
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Not Enjoying Being Pregnant? 8 Helpful Tips
- Nursing Bras – When Should I Get A Nursing Bra?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask An Obstetrician
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your New Baby – 6 Tips To Prepare Your Pet
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Preeclampsia and Symptoms of Preeclampsia
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Fatigue – 14 Tips To Combat Fatigue In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Myths – 10 Big Pregnancy Myths: Busted
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Noticeable Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – Your Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnancy Yoga – Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- Pregnant Belly Painting: 25 Gorgeous Painted Pregnant Bellies
- Prenatal Testing & Screening – What You Need To Know
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Negative Factor in Pregnancy – Rh- Blood
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy – FAQ’s
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Sleeping Position In Pregnancy – Which Side Is Safer?
- Smoking And Pregnancy – Myths & How To Stop Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- Thrush During Pregnancy – 9 Vaginal Thrush Self Help Tips
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- When Is The Best Time To Take A Pregnancy Test?
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?