This footprint dough recipe enables you to make a soft dough which you can take a footprint from. The beauty of taking footprints this way is that if the print messes up, you can always re-knead the dough and start again! Once you have the footprint, simply bake and then paint if you wish. A great idea for a gift, Christmas present for the family or to treasure your little ones footprints forever.
If you are taking footprints from a baby you may need an extra pair of hands to help with the impressions while you hold your baby.
Footprint Dough Recipe – Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- Food colouring if desired
- Ribbon/string if hanging the finished product
Footprint Dough Recipe – Method
- Mix all ingredients into a mixing bowl starting with dry ingredients first. Add the food colouring for a tinted dough, or paint the hardened prints after baking.
- Knead dough until smooth. If too sticky, add a little more flour. If too dry, add a little more water.
- Place the dough on a board and roll out with a rolling pin until around 2cms or 1/2 inch thick. Shape the edges of the dough as you go to achieve the shape you want.
- Take the footprint and if desired, make a hole up the top for ribbon to thread through (for hanging). You could use something like a straw or other utensil.
- Place in an oven set to 100C (200F) for 3-4 hours or until fully hardened.
- If you wish to paint the finished product, you can use food dye or paint from your local craft store.