As a Mum-to-be, your time seems to be filled with making huge decisions. Home or hospital? Natural or with pain relief? Breast or bottle? The list of things to consider is endless. And, within hours of your baby entering the world, you’ll be wanting to put him in a nappy. Ah, another decision: modern cloth or disposable?
To save you some hassle, we’ve compiled a list of the advantages and disadvantages of each nappy type. There are lots of myths out there, especially about modern cloth nappy, so we’ve put together this list of facts to make this decision easier for you.
Advantages of Modern Cloth Nappies
If the vision of your little bub wrapped up in a natural, earth-friendly nappy brings a smile to your dial, then read on. You’ll love this part.
- Modern cloth nappies contain no harmful chemicals or plastics. It’s a la natural, baby. Literally. You can even pick up organic cloth nappies that are made out of cotton or bamboo.
- Modern cloth nappies have less of an impact on the environment than disposables.
- You have the freedom to choose from a variety of stylish modern cloth nappies.
- According to the pro-clothers, modern cloth nappies result in less leakage. Double tick for this one.
- Despite what you’d think, modern cloth nappies are actually less smelly than disposables.
- While the initial purchase of your supply of modern cloth nappies may cost more, in the long-term many believe it’s cheaper than using disposables.
- As you’re washing your modern cloth nappies, your bin doesn’t fill up as fast and you’re not contributing further to all that nasty landfill.
- Modern cloth nappies are said to prevent nappy rash.
- Modern cloth nappies come in a variety of colours and designs so can be considered more aesthetically pleasing.
- There are no harsh chemicals used to make modern cloth nappies, which means they’re great on sensitive bottoms.
Disadvantages Of Modern Cloth Nappies
Okay, now for the reality check. Are you ready for it?
- You can’t just throw away the used nappy, it needs to be washed. Not a huge deal, but it is more time consuming.
- The one off payment for modern cloth nappies is higher than you would usually spend on a short term supply of disposables.
- You need to be extra cautious with washing and drying your nappies to make sure they are clean and sanitary. Also takes more time (and washing detergent) to manage modern cloth nappies.
- Modern cloth nappies be difficult to manage while travelling.
The Advantages of Disposable Nappies
And now it’s time for the opposing team to take to the stand. Benefits of disposable nappies? Comin’ right up.
- Disposable nappies are ultra convenient.
- They are easy to use.
- Disposables are considered to be more sanitary than cloth diapers.
- Pro-disposablers claim that disposable nappies have a higher absorption capability. Technologies such as special crystals pull the liquid away from the nappy as well, preventing nappy rash.
- Disposable nappies require no washing or drying. Just toss and go!
- Readily available at most supermarkets and department stores.
- Many brands now offer biodegradable and organic disposable nappies.
The Disadvantages of Disposable Nappies
With the good, must come the bad. So here are the negatives of disposable nappies:
- Are largely believed to contain chemicals and materials that may irritate your baby’s skin.
- Not as environmentally-friendly as cloth diapers and contribute to landfill.
- Once in landfill, disposable nappies take at least 200 years to decompose.
- Disposables are considered to be more expensive than cloth diapers across the long-term.
- Disposable nappies also involve more trial and error as you find the right size and fit for your baby.
- Despite instructions on the packaging, most people incorrectly throw disposable nappies – with the poo still inside – straight into the bin. While decomposing, the human waste lets off methane (one of the most damaging greenhouse gases) and may even pollute the groundwater.
Well there you go ” we made it through. So what do you think? Have you chosen yet?
Selecting the right type of nappy for your baby is an important decision and one that should feel right for you, irrespective of what others around you think.
So do your research and examine the options but at the end of the day remember that the choice is completely yours. And besides, it’s not like you can’t switch sides or use a combination of cloth and disposable. Why not try both and see what works best for you and your bub?
Would You Like To See Some Modern Cloth Nappy or Disposable Nappy Stores?
Check out the nappy suppliers in our directory.