Breech Birth in Australia – Having a Vaginal Breech Birth
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Breech Birth in Australia – Having a Vaginal Breech Birth
If your baby is breech and you would like a vaginal breech birth in Australia, you really need to do your homework to find someone who will support you, as numbers of those choosing to attend breech birth are quite low. This is not to say that breech birth is dangerous – the skill and knowledge of vaginal breech birth is being lost, as a result of carers not being trained in breech birth and/or choosing to attend breech births, opting for caesareans instead.
Here is a list of midwives and obstetricians from around Australia who are skilled and experienced with vaginal breech birth. Interview a few if you can and find one you feel comfortable with. Be sure to check if they have any ‘conditions’ to supporting breech birth – some may happily attend, but will want certain procedures done in order for you to have a vaginal breech birth – so please do check. We’ll have more information on the finer details soon. All the best for your breech birth!
This list is currently under construction and more details will be added shortly. If you would like to add yourself or someone to this list, please email us.
Midwives Supporting Breech Birth In New South Wales & A.C.T.
- Melissa Maimann, Endorsed Eligible Midwife, Sydney
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In New South Wales & A.C.T.
- Dr. Oliver Brown at John Hunter Hospital
- Dr. David Somerset
- Dr Geeta Sales at the Tweed Hospital
- Dr Andrew Bisits (and others) at the Royal Hospital in Randwick
- Dr Andrew Pesce at Westmead (breech clinic)
- Canberra Hospital
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In South Australia
- Dr Brian Peat, ph: (08) 8161 7633
- Dr Chris Wilkinson (RWH)
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In Victoria
Dr David Freidin
Suite 3, 96 Grattan Street
Ph: 03 9527 1388
Dr Peter Jurcevic
Suite 8, 96 Grattan Street
Ph: 03 9349 3686
Dr Peter England
Suite 105, 320 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE 3002
Ph: 03 9415 9088
Dr Dennis Price
Suite 2/145 Wattletree Road
Ph: 03 9509 5744
Dr Peter Lee
53 Brady Road
DANDENONG NORTH 3175
Ph: 03 9790 0333
- Dr Tilak Weerasiri at Northpark Private Hospital
- Dr Lionel Steinberg at St Vincents Private Hospital
- Dr Guy Skinner at St Vincents Private Hospital
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In Queensland
- Dr Ian Etherington at the Mater Hospital
- Dr Anne Sneddon at Gold Coast Hospital
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In W.A.
- Dr Anne Karczub at the King Edward Memorial Hospital, Perth
Breech Birth Recommended Reading
“Breech Birth: Woman Wise” by Maggie Banks
Note: These details were correct at the time of publishing and may change. Please be sure to confirm all details before changing or choosing carers. Neither BellyBelly or Kelly Winder accepts any responsibility for inaccuracies, misrepresentations or errors within this list.
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook or add Kelly here. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Birth Articles
- “Sorry, You’re Not In Labour…”
- 8 Natural & Effective Tips For a ‘Stalled’ Labour
- A Proven Method for Lowering the Caesarean Rate
- Active Birth – For A Shorter Labour, Less Pain and More
- Acupuncture & Natural Labour Induction – 11 Most Asked Questions
- Baby Not Engaged? Wondering When Your Baby Might Engage?
- Bearing Down or Pushing While Giving Birth?
- Best Birth Books – The Best Birth Books As Recommended by BellyBelly
- Big Baby? Then You Must Read This Article…
- Birth As A Bowel Movement
- Birth Plan – Why Write One? Free Birth Plan Template
- Birth Recommendations from the World Health Organisation
- Birth Support – 10 Great Tips That Will Help Her In Labour
- Birth Unplanned – When Birth Doesn’t Go To Plan
- Birth Videos – BellyBelly’s Favourite Birth Videos
- Braxton Hicks Contractions – What Are Braxton Hicks?
- Breastfeeding After A Caesarean Birth
- Caesarean Section – Risks Of Caesarean Section For Baby
- Caesarean Section – Risks Of Caesarean Section For The Mother
- Caesarean Section – What to Expect After A Caesarean
- Caesarean Section Birth – What Happens in a Caesarean
- Caesarean Section Myths Exploded
- Caesarean Section or Vaginal Birth – What Difference Does It Make?
- Castor Oil To Induce Labour – Is Castor Oil Safe?
- Childbirth – Your Top 12 Fears About Birth Answered
- Contractions – What Do Contractions Feel Like?
- Convinced You Want Drugs in Labour?
- Delayed Cord Clamping – Why You Should Demand It
- Doula Revolution – The Doula At Birth
- Doula Training – Australian Doula Training Options
- Doulas – 10 Top Reasons Why You Should Have A Doula At Your Birth
- Doulas: Working As a Birth Doula in Australia – FAQ’s
- Early Labour – 8 Tips For Coping With Labour at Home
- Epidural Side Effects & Risks Of An Epidural In Labour
- False Labour Contractions – Is It False Labour?
- Fast Birth? Born in a Hurry – When There’s No Time For Hospital
- Giving Birth After Stillbirth – A BellyBelly Member’s Story
- Giving Birth In Water – The Benefits of Waterbirth
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- Homebirth – Having A Homebirth In Australia
- Hormones In Labour & Birth – How Your Body Helps You
- Hospital Bag For Labour – What To Pack For Hospital
- Induce Labour With Natural Methods – Bring On Labour Naturally
- Induction of Labour – The Risks of Labour Induction
- Men At Birth – Should Men Be In The Birth Room?
- Natural Birth – Tips For Natural Birth Success
- Natural Pain Relief Options For Labour
- Nipple Stimulation – How To Do Nipple Stimulation For Labour
- Pain in Labour: Your Hormones Are Your Helpers
- Saying ‘No’ to Unwanted Birth Support People
- Siblings At Birth – Should Children Be Present At Childbirth?
- Signs Of Labour – Early Signs Of Labour
- Small Pelvis? Here’s The Truth About Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD)
- Sterile Water Injections – Taking the Pain Out of Back Labour
- Tens Machine – Using A Tens Machine For Labour
- The Third Stage of Labour – Benefits Of A Natural Third Stage
- Uterine Scar Rupture – What Is a Uterine Rupture?
- VBAC – On Whose Terms?
- VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarean) – What To Expect
- VBAC Birth Tips – Advice From VBAC Mums Who Have Done It!
- VBAC Sabotage – Is Your Doctor REALLY That VBAC Friendly?
- Water Birth – Preparing For Birth in Water
- Waterbirth in Australia – Locations Offering Waterbirth Facilities
- Waters Breaking – What Happens When Your Waters Break