If your baby is breech and you would like a vaginal breech birth in Australia, you really need to do your homework to find someone who will support you, as numbers of those choosing to attend breech birth are quite low. This is not to say that breech birth is dangerous – the skill and knowledge of vaginal breech birth is being lost, as a result of carers not being trained in breech birth and/or choosing to attend breech births, opting for caesareans instead.
Here is a list of midwives and obstetricians from around Australia who are skilled and experienced with vaginal breech birth. Interview a few if you can and find one you feel comfortable with. Be sure to check if they have any ‘conditions’ to supporting breech birth – some may happily attend, but will want certain procedures done in order for you to have a vaginal breech birth – so please do check. We’ll have more information on the finer details soon. All the best for your breech birth!
This list is currently under construction and more details will be added shortly. If you would like to add yourself or someone to this list, please email us.
Midwives Supporting Breech Birth In New South Wales & A.C.T.
- Melissa Maimann, Endorsed Eligible Midwife, Sydney
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In New South Wales & A.C.T.
- Dr. Oliver Brown at John Hunter Hospital
- Dr. David Somerset
- Dr Geeta Sales at the Tweed Hospital
- Dr Andrew Bisits (and others) at the Royal Hospital in Randwick
- Dr Andrew Pesce at Westmead (breech clinic)
- Canberra Hospital
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In South Australia
- Dr Brian Peat, ph: (08) 8161 7633
- Dr Chris Wilkinson (RWH)
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In Victoria
Dr David Freidin
Suite 3, 96 Grattan Street
Ph: 03 9527 1388
Dr Peter Jurcevic
Suite 8, 96 Grattan Street
Ph: 03 9349 3686
Dr Peter England
Suite 105, 320 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE 3002
Ph: 03 9415 9088
Dr Dennis Price
Suite 2/145 Wattletree Road
Ph: 03 9509 5744
Dr Peter Lee
53 Brady Road
DANDENONG NORTH 3175
Ph: 03 9790 0333
- Dr Tilak Weerasiri at Northpark Private Hospital
- Dr Lionel Steinberg at St Vincents Private Hospital
- Dr Guy Skinner at St Vincents Private Hospital
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In Queensland
- Dr Ian Etherington at the Mater Hospital
- Dr Anne Sneddon at Gold Coast Hospital
Obstetricians Supporting Breech Birth In W.A.
- Dr Anne Karczub at the King Edward Memorial Hospital, Perth
Breech Birth Recommended Reading
“Breech Birth: Woman Wise” by Maggie Banks
Note: These details were correct at the time of publishing and may change. Please be sure to confirm all details before changing or choosing carers. Neither BellyBelly or Kelly Winder accepts any responsibility for inaccuracies, misrepresentations or errors within this list.