View Poll Results: Did this recipe help your breastmilk supply?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I baked them and my supply increased

28 84.85%
  • I ate the dough and my supply increased

10 30.30%
  • I baked them and didn't notice a difference

4 12.12%
  • I ate the dough and didn't notice a difference

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lactation Cookies Recipe - Increase Breastmilk Supply

Mrs P is offline BellyBelly Member

Default Lactation Cookies Recipe - Increase Breastmilk Supply

Thanks for the info Julie - I am wanting a VBAC this time and have an obstetrician who is supportive of that. However he doesn't allow doulas to be present. I think I am preparing myself well for the process and will definitely be focussing on trying to remain as less-stressed as possible Will be making up some cookie dough to freeze and bake closer to my due date!!

Mrs P Mr P

DD ~ August 2010

DS ~ March 2013

Julie Doula is offline Life Subscriber

Hmm that sure doesn't sound very woman-centered - it's certainly not his place to dictate who you can and can't have present when you give birth, and he is actually contravening your human rights by trying that on with you. The power differential is not right and not in your favour. He is your employee, not your boss!

Do you know for sure what his VBAC success rate is?

If you're determined to go with him (check his VBAC rate first - and check the hospital's VBAC rate too - try the MyBirth site), then hire a doula or IM to help you stay home and labour at home as long as possible and rock up fully dilated and ready to push. Tell him the doula/IM is your sister/Aunty.
    Mama to 3 wee women and 1 wee man all born safely at home
    Passionate 'hyped about hormones' birth choices activist
    WAHP of Blissful Herbs - Post natal healing bath herbs, breastfeeding tea & more

Frangipani Lou is offline 2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

I took a stash Mrs P. they were part of my bf plan and recommended by my lactation consultant. Handy to have too cause the meals were really small in the hospital and I was famished.
    The dough is far more effective eaten raw. I just divide the mix into snap lock bags and eat raw- minus the egg and baking powder. It freezes really well. Congrats and best wishes for the birth that you want.
    ME 41 DP 44
    Blessed to finally find each other...
    and blessed to bring new life
    together into our family

DD born October 2012 in an unplanned
    speedy home birth on the couch at home.

HotI is offline BellyBelly Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Thanks for the info Julie - I am wanting a VBAC this time and have an obstetrician who is supportive of that. However he doesn't allow doulas to be present.
    It's not actually up to him who your support person/people are.

If he practised evidence based medicine, he would know that having a doula increases your chance of having a vaginal birth, and would welcome their presence.
    Hippy on the Inside

DD1 - My little firecracker born April 2010
    DS - Climbing adventure boy born at home January 2012
    DD2 - Born at home into our arms February 2014

Just made up my first batch to freeze. DD helped me so I cooked a small tray so we could taste them. I did put the full 4 tbspns of yeast in, and I think that may have been a bit much as they have this strange flavour I can't quite place but I think that's it. Not too bad, DD didn't like them though ha! I think I could easily eat a couple per day with a glass of milk once bub arrives!!
    Mrs P Mr P

DD ~ August 2010

DS ~ March 2013

BellyBelly is offline ♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sounds like they're freezing pretty well then?
    Kelly xx

Mum to a creative 12 year old young lady, an affectionate 9.5 year old little man and a gorgeous gift of a 1.5 year old bubba girl - with the love of my life
    Loving my work as the creator of BellyBelly - educating and informing women and men in order to empower themselves about Pregnancy, Birth and Parenthood.
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Actually Kelly I haven't needed to defrost them yet since this bub is currently 5 days late. But I will hopefully be defrosting and baking soon!! Will update then
    Mrs P Mr P

DD ~ August 2010

DS ~ March 2013

Teeki is offline Moderator

I've frozen them before and they were fine

I also found with the yeast, you can taste it quite strongly if you put it in on its own rather than sifting it in with the flour etc.
    The Mummy The Daddy
    The Girl 16/06/11
    The Boy 21/10/13
    And The Puppy

Sleep Baby Sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Teeki View Post
    I also found with the yeast, you can taste it quite strongly if you put it in on its own rather than sifting it in with the flour etc.
    Well I was too lazy to sift so that probably explains it!!
    Mrs P Mr P

DD ~ August 2010

DS ~ March 2013

MummyDuck is offline BellyBelly Member
    Add MummyDuck on Facebook

I tried lactation cookies and I thought id share MY experience - keep in mind its my experience and won't be everyone's.

I read you could add fenugreek - personally it tastes foul and makes the cookies dry.

It worked for me, yes, great things I thought till......

I had a baby that was colicky.

It took a lot of research into what COULD be causing all ds wind and unsettledness. Brewers yeast was a food recommended to avoid. I did for a month, gorgeous settled bub, then tried again and again he was windy and unsettled.

I highly recommend trying the cookies but just be aware of things that might be interacting with bubs - I would never have put it down to the cookies if I hadn't read about it.
    D (30) D (33) Duckling No. 1 TED 22/06/2008 Duckling No. 2 BAD (Brax)

My Facebook

Chonny is offline Registered User

Can bakers yeast be just as effective? im about to make a batch as my supply is low from breast refusal but she's taken me back, so im desperate to get my supply up super quick and ban the bottle. Im somewhat house bound by frequent and long feeds and hubby is at work. hence the only yeast we could find was bakers.

Frangipani Lou is offline 2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

I'm not sure about bakers yeast but you could try Breastfeeding Support tablets made by Herbs of Gold as well. They are available from good health food shops. I'm sure some of the lovely BB members might be able to help more with other ways to increase your supply in the BF section of the forums. Good luck!
    ME 41 DP 44
    Blessed to finally find each other...
    and blessed to bring new life
    together into our family

DD born October 2012 in an unplanned
    speedy home birth on the couch at home.

BellyBelly is offline ♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Mum to a creative 12 year old young lady, an affectionate 9.5 year old little man and a gorgeous gift of a 1.5 year old bubba girl - with the love of my life
    Loving my work as the creator of BellyBelly - educating and informing women and men in order to empower themselves about Pregnancy, Birth and Parenthood.
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Babyluv is offline BellyBelly Member

Bakers yeast won't work it's not a galactagogue.
    BellyBelly likes this.
    ME DH & DD Dec 2010

MLR1901 is offline BellyBelly Member

I just baked my first batch of cookies and have a few questions.
    Are the meant to be spongy? Not hard like biscuits?
    I added 4 spoons of brewers yeast, and now the kitchen smells like Vegemite!!
    How many spoons did you add to get the taste right?
    And I didn't add chocolate chips, but are they meant to taste sweet as mine taste a little doughy/flour like?

And how big do you make them? The receipe says makes 6 dozen. My batch made about 2 dozen. I did half a tablespoon.

Your tips please.....
    Last edited by MLR1901; June 3rd, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
    12/05/13 - Miss K blessed us with her arrival

16/06/12 - our 2nd 7 week 'Bubble'

17/02/12 - our 11 week 'Bubble'

Pholi is offline BellyBelly Member

Mine were spongy - almost like an over-cooked muffin texture. Definitely not crisp!

Yes, the brewer's yeast is powerful stuff!

You don't add brewer's yeast for the taste, you add it for the supply-boosting effects. It's the other stuff - choc chips/ sultanas/coconut/whatever that you add, to disguise the disgusting taste of the brewer's yeast. There were so many people raving about how yummy these were, I was really disappointed by them. I thought they were 'okay'. Just. Especially with 4 Tbsp brewer's yeast. They would taste better with 2, but that's not the point, really. They're not yummy, they're a barely palatable way of ingesting disgusting bitter brewer's yeast.

Re choc chips, see the above - add something. I added either 1 C of sultanas, or 1C chopped apricots and 1/2 C desiccated coconut.

I got about 5 dozen from them - I rolled them into small truffle sized balls - slightly smaller than a Lindt chocolate, if that helps. They don't spread or flatten much at all when cooked. I also just ate them raw after the first batch. I preferred the raw texture.

Other tips? If you have ongoing supply issues, I suggest you avoid all the extra calories that come with eating the supply-boosting ingredients in this format, and do as I eventually did - ditch the cookies altogether. Instead I buy brewer's yeast capsules from the health food shop, along with a fenugreek and blessed thistle mix capsule (often sold as 'breastfeeding support'), and have those instead. I'm still doing this and DS is now 8 1/2 months. I'd have been as big as a house if I'd kept eating all those cookies! You could also eat oats (also a supply booster) as muesli or porridge. It's far more sustainable in the long term, if you really need the supply help, and much, much healthier.

Hope that helps.
    HotI likes this.

RIP to our little baby's twin

MLR1901 is offline BellyBelly Member

Thanks Pholi!
    I eat oats every other day, love them.
    MIL has been making curry with fenugreek (not hot)
    I haven't been drinking as much water as I should be.

I agree the cookies were a bit of a disappointment, I was expecting yummy from what I had read. But they aren't horrible! But definitely need something else.
    It's my day supply that needs boosting - DD. likes her sleep so I get heaps at night, but of course she'll feed heaps during the day and for 1.5-2 hr sessions! So doesn't leave much time for milk to fill up.
    Trying to avoid daily formula top ups.

Thanks for your reply!
    12/05/13 - Miss K blessed us with her arrival

16/06/12 - our 2nd 7 week 'Bubble'

17/02/12 - our 11 week 'Bubble'

Rainbow_Mumma is offline One Mummas Journey To Be Happy & Healthy

Lactation cookies made a huge difference for us especially when the twins were in ICU and I was pumping for them and my supply dropping.
    Last edited by Astrolady; June 3rd, 2013 at 06:53 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast