Riss10 is offline BellyBelly Member

England (but moving back home to Oz next year!)

Default Question: For Landlords and Renters around inspection reports

Hi ladies,

I am looking at starting my own business and was hoping to tap into your knowledge and experiences of the residential rental market – from a renter and landlord point of view.

Please copy and paste the below questions into your reply.

For Renters
    1) Do you rent privately or through a real estate agent?
    2) On your first day of tenancy, were you provided with a detailed inspection report of the property outlining the condition of the property?
    3) Does the report outline the condition of each room, detailing any issues, ie cracked window, peeling pain on sealing>
    3) How often is the property inspection conducted of the property?
    4) Was the inspection report thorough, outlining the condition of each room, and were you provided a copy of the report for your records?
    5) On exiting the property was a detailed inspection report conducted, comparing the current condition of the property to when you moved in.
    6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute over the condition of a property.
    7) Do you think a detailed inspection report should be conducted and provided to the tenant to prevent disputes?

For Landlords
    1) Is your property privately managed or rented through a real estate agent
    2) Were you provided with a condition report of the property, outlining the condition of each room, when the tenants moved in?
    3) If renting through an agent, does the agent provided a detailed inspection report?
    4) How often does the rental agent conduct an inspection of the property?
    5) What communication do you receive updating you on the condition of the property?
    6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute with a tenant over the condition of the property?
    7) Did you have a detailed inspection report from when the tenant moved in and exited the property to support your claim?

Thank you so much for your time and comments.
    Last edited by Riss10; May 9th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

skybie is offline BellyBelly Member

For Renters
    1) Do you rent privately or through a real estate agent? Through an agent
    2) On your first day of tenancy, were you provided with a detailed inspection report of the property outlining the condition of the property?No, we had to do a condtion report ourselves and return to the office in a few days of getting the keys
    3) How often is the property inspection conducted of the property? the first one was at 3 months and then 6 monthly after that
    4) Was the inspection report thorough and were you provided a copy of the report for your records?we dont get a copy of the report, our lady is thorough
    5) On exiting the property was a detailed inspection report conducted, comparing the current condition of the property to when you moved in.
    6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute over the condition of a property.only once when we moved out of a property, it sat vacant for 4 months over summer and the new tenants complained of fleas, we had a dog but she was an outside dog, the house was flea bombed when we left, we had reported mice living in the roof and finding mouse droppings inside the house behind the fridge and washing machine, case was dropped
    7) Do you think a detailed inspection report should be conducted and provided to the tenant to prevent disputes?Yes, i'd love to get a copy of the report
    3 beautiful Girls 1 Adorable angel Son
    If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart

TeniBear is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add TeniBear on Facebook Follow TeniBear On Twitter

Since we're in the process of moving, I'll fill this out for our current house and possibly come back at a later stage if there's anything different in our new one

For Renters

Through real estate.

2) On your first day of tenancy, were you provided with a detailed inspection report of the property outlining the condition of the property?
    Yes.

It's supposed to be every six months, but the landlord is ALWAYS in our driveway checking on the garden and clipping it The property manager has schedued them around every six months, but not exactly every six months.

4) Was the inspection report thorough and were you provided a copy of the report for your records?
    Yes, but god knows where it's gone...

I assume they're going to, they've sent us a nasty-looking letter to say as such.

Yes! Our landlord is crazy and thinks we should be out doing the gardens every spare second we get. Plus apparently not having the house completely spotless when I had a two-week old was "unacceptable"

7) Do you think a detailed inspection report should be conducted and provided to the tenant to prevent disputes?
    Yes, but I think the tenants should be able to submit their own report a few weeks into living at a property. Sometimes you don't notice the faults in a place until you've lived there a short while.
    Mr I - We said hello and goodbye to our "Smudge" 28/2/2010
    Miss A - Our chubby little "Cookie" born safe and healthy 10/3/2011
    Miss E - Baby "Pudding" born at home into mummy's hands 21/12/13

briggsy's girl is offline live today like you'll die tomorrow and learn today like you'll live forever

For Renters
    Agent

Yes

3) Does the report outline the condition of each room, detailing any issues, ie cracked window, peeling pain on sealing>
    Yes

First inspection after 1 month, then 6 monthly after that

4) Was the inspection report thorough, outlining the condition of each room, and were you provided a copy of the report for your records?
    Yes and Yes - some of the things they had observed we really had to look to see.

Have never moved out of a rental so can't comment no that one!

No

Yes
    Me 34 DH 49 = the Gremlin - our perfect little slice of heaven, 29.05.2009
    29/04/05, 03/12/05, 12/08/07, 12/05/08, 24/07/08, 30/05/11, 16/03/12

Doin' it our way, learnin' as we go, and lovin' every minute of it!

~clover~ is offline BellyBelly Member
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

For Renters
    I've rented both privately & through a RE in NSW, but right now I'm in community housing in WA.

2) On your first day of tenancy, were you provided with a detailed inspection report of the property outlining the condition of the property? With every RE rental & one private rental I've completed a condition report.

3) Does the report outline the condition of each room, detailing any issues, ie cracked window, peeling pain on sealing> It depends on the RE. Some are more detailed than others. Some things they miss, especially if there is no power/gas & they can't check if lights/stoves etc work. There wasn't really any detail. Just a Y/N for clean/working & a space for comments, eg. hole in fly screen, damaged paint etc.

3) How often is the property inspection conducted of the property? Again depends on the RE & the LL. I had one house it was every 3 months, another every 6 months. Private rentals I didn't have inspections. I've only been in this one 4 months, but I've heard the housing dept does them every 6 months.

4) Was the inspection report thorough, outlining the condition of each room, and were you provided a copy of the report for your records? Usually, yes

5) On exiting the property was a detailed inspection report conducted, comparing the current condition of the property to when you moved in. Yes & usually no problems. But the last one I didn't have a copy of the report to compare too.

6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute over the condition of a property. Yes, my last property.

7) Do you think a detailed inspection report should be conducted and provided to the tenant to prevent disputes? I think the tenants need to do more to cover them selves sometimes. Taking photo's with dates on them & trying to keep corrospondance to emails so everything is in writing.
    Me
    DD1 - 12 , DD2 - 9 SPD-ADD/ADHD, DS - 6, DD3 - 3

Missing my beautiful cousin 12/11/96-23/01/13 - SUDEP - Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy

sepata is offline BellyBelly Member
    Add sepata on Facebook

1) Do you rent privately or through a real estate agent? RE agent

2) On your first day of tenancy, were you provided with a detailed inspection report of the property outlining the condition of the property? Yes

3) Does the report outline the condition of each room, detailing any issues, ie cracked window, peeling pain on sealing? Yes, including multiple photos

3) How often is the property inspection conducted of the property? 3 months after moving in and every 6 months after that

4) Was the inspection report thorough, outlining the condition of each room, and were you provided a copy of the report for your records? Don't know, and no.

5) On exiting the property was a detailed inspection report conducted, comparing the current condition of the property to when you moved in? Yes

6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute over the condition of a property? No

7) Do you think a detailed inspection report should be conducted and provided to the tenant to prevent disputes? Yes
    Me + Mister, married November 2005
    Mum to two beautiful boys DS1 born 17 July 2011 and DS2 born 31 August 2013

ss_storm is offline BellyBelly Member

For Renters
    1) Do you rent privately or through a real estate agent? Through an agent

From memory, we received it when we first signed the lease & picked up the keys to the property (maybe that counts as the same thing..lol)

3) Does the report outline the condition of each room, detailing any issues, ie cracked window, peeling pain on sealing> yes. We also had to go through the house and check everything they'd written down, as well as anything else we may have noticed (which is SUPER important to help prevent disputes at the end of tenancy, especially if over the course of the tenancy you get a different agent. At the time of the end of lease inspection they may not have been the ones that initially inspected the property so will be comparing to a set of notes they didnt write & a house that they didn't do a close inspection of when it was without tenants. ITMS..I know what I'm trying to say!)

3) How often is the property inspection conducted of the property? Every 3 months. Which to me seems a little excessive. I would even be happy with 6 monthly, especially now considering we've lived there for Nearly 2 1/2 years and haven't had a bad report or required a re-inspection.. The last place we lived in we only had an inspection when we were due to sign a new lease (yearly), which maybe isn't often enough..

4) Was the inspection report thorough, outlining the condition of each room, and were you provided a copy of the report for your records? Yes and yes. Actually every inspection we are provided with a copy of the report. The landlord is also listed on there, along with a 'notes to the landlord' section, so I assume the landlord gets a copy and the real estate keeps the original as well.

5) On exiting the property was a detailed inspection report conducted, comparing the current condition of the property to when you moved in. Well we haven't moved yet, but I assume that would happen! And happened when we moved out of our last house

6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute over the condition of a property. Nope, which is where the making note of even the tiniest things that might be slightly damaged or not quite right is important!

7) Do you think a detailed inspection report should be conducted and provided to the tenant to prevent disputes? Yes, and I think the tenant needs to be given the opportunity to fill out the same report too.

EsJay is offline BellyBelly Member
    Add EsJay on Facebook

For Landlords
    1) Is your property privately managed or rented through a real estate agent - RE agent
    2) Were you provided with a condition report of the property, outlining the condition of each room, when the tenants moved in? Yes i think the RE did the report prior to the tenants moving in
    3) If renting through an agent, does the agent provided a detailed inspection report? I wouldnt call it detailed, but yes we receive a report
    4) How often does the rental agent conduct an inspection of the property? Not often enough in some instances lol, twice a year
    5) What communication do you receive updating you on the condition of the property? A single page tick and flick with no detailed explanation of anything, and only 2 columns - acceptable or not acceptable.
    6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute with a tenant over the condition of the property? not after they vacated, however upon driving past the property found the yard to be in extremely poor condition with 3 foot high grass and weeds, upon asking the RE to do something about it, the tenants gave notice to vacate. So no actual ongoing dispute, but an issue over condition none the less.
    7) Did you have a detailed inspection report from when the tenant moved in and exited the property to support your claim? No claims as yet, but the entry and exit reports are pretty thorough.
    Miss J 09
    Miss S 12
    DSD Miss K 02

Formerly jen82

Yules is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Riss10 View Post
    Hi ladies,

I am looking at starting my own business and was hoping to tap into your knowledge and experiences of the residential rental market from a renter and landlord point of view.

Please copy and paste the below questions into your reply.

For Landlords
    1) Is your property privately managed or rented through a real estate agent -

Privately managed

2) Were you provided with a condition report of the property, outlining the condition of each room, when the tenants moved in?

When we first rented through agent yes - with tenant #2 No - but my family was involved and present when second tenant moved in and inspected prior.

3) If renting through an agent, does the agent provided a detailed inspection report?

When we did have an agent it was money not worth spending!

4) How often does the rental agent conduct an inspection of the property?
    5) What communication do you receive updating you on the condition of the property?

Our tenants have always been very open and honest with us. They tell me about problems right away and I get onto them as best and quickly as possible.

6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute with a tenant over the condition of the property?

Nope, we'll it wasn't a dispute.... But when the first tenants moved out and my dad inspected, the carpet cleaner had done a dodgy job, so told tenant and they got it sorted right away.

7) Did you have a detailed inspection report from when the tenant moved in and exited the property to support your claim?

Thank you so much for your time and comments.
    Sorry on the iPad so couldn't get my answers to bold without being a major PITA!!
    Jules (34) + DH (34) =
    Relaxy 12/10/07
    Squeeler 27/5/2010
    Lucky 4/1/2014

veus is offline BellyBelly Member

We've rented for Ages so have a lots of varied experiences.

For Renters
    always via agent

Most of the time. A couple of times we were provided literally with blank form stating everything is perfect

some, a couple had nothing, most have details that are obvious like cracked window but nothing minor like scuffing

3) How often is the property inspection conducted of the property? a couple of properties we had one beginning, one abt 6 mths after and one at the end. There was probably only one prop where we had a bit more 'regular' inspections ie abt every 6 months. A couple we never had any except at the end or change of name on lease

nope. Get either a verbal or email note if something needs attention.

yes

6) Have you ever been involved in a dispute over the condition of a property. yes - minor scuffing not in report, changed name on the lease the initial report was no longer valid & wasn't updated, no lightbulbs (even though there weren't any in there in the first place!)

Yep - visibility for all. We started taking photo evidence when we move in because we got stung.

Good luck!

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)