Thread: what happens when you have to go on insulin!

Niamh75 is offline BellyBelly Member

Default what happens when you have to go on insulin!

hello
    ladies

I was just wondering can any one tell me what happens if they decided to put you on insulin do they take you in to hospital and what way does the labour go! any advice please

Proud mum to 4 1 1 and cautiously pregnant with our August 2013 baby

teachmum is offline BellyBelly Member

Niamh, I take insulin four times a day. You still have to manage your diet and monitor your BGL. If your levels go too high then your insulin is increased. I have an insulin pen that I inject into my stomach before breakfast, lunch and dinner then at 9pm I inject a long lasting insulin into my stomach. Sounds horrible but is not painful unlike the finger *****ing.

As for labour, I've been told that you don't take insulin while you're in labour. They test your BGL regularly and if needed they give you insulin through a drip.

Different hospitals may have different procedures so you would need to check with your hospital. Do you know which one? Maybe some of the other girls have been there so they might be able to give you more specific info.
    Teachmum
    DH since 1990
    DD 1992, DS 1994, m/c 12/00 , DS2 2008

My mum's addicted to buying baby clothes and MCN's

Tobily is offline BellyBelly Member
    Add Tobily on Facebook

You dont need to go into hospital, the endocrinologist will just show you how to do the injections yourself, it's easy once you've done it a couple of times. You use a pen with a little fine needle - it's not stomach churning, most people think it's going be much worse than it is in reality

You'll still need to monitor your BSL's as teachmum said.

Re labour - once your on insulin regardless of how perfect your sugar control is you'll be under very strong pressure for an induction around 38-39 weeks.
    me...mum and doula since 2007
    he...wonderdad
    the diva...7 & the tater...5

Cookie Monster is offline Registered User

It really does depend on what hospital, state, country that you're in. Each one has it's own protocol. I shouldn't imagine though that you would need a hospital admission.

Ex diabetes educator!
    If you can't see the funny side, you're not looking hard enough

kirsten74 is offline BellyBelly Member

With my last child my Ob admitted me to hospital for 2 days while they monitored my BSL and worked out insulin levels. This time around however I was referred to an endocronologist who was fantastic and only put me on monthly visits to check that my levels were OK and I was taking enough insulin.
    I think I read that you were coming to Qld? If this is the case, I will give you the name of the endocronologist. SInce you have had it before, they will pretty much let you control your diet and insulin since you know all of the rules anyway.
    The insulin is covered by the PBS and so only costs about $30. I bought y insulin back in September and only recently had to have it filled again, so it isn't a huge expense when spread over a long time period.
    Are you going to go public or private when you get here? If you are in the public system I think endo appointments are free? But since I go private, I have to pay for the endo and Ob, and these can get quite costly.
    So basically, it comes down to whether you go public or private, and who your Ob and endo is on how they work the insulin and the labour.
    Madeline 29/9/03
    Alexander 27/4/05
    Benjamin 25/2/08
    Samuel 8/9/10
    Baby November 06 11 weeks Baby February 07 6 weeks Baby September 09 9 weeks

Thanks Girls

kirsten74 yep moving from Ireland over in June

im planning on going to Nambour but wont be moving on till June ive had to inject my self before so ive no worries there i was just wondering what way they manage it as its different to the hospital im in now bit nervous about changing from what i know but ive heard excellent about the health service both Public and private Ill be public as i don't qualify for private wont have insurance for long enough .

Cookie Monster, do you know if as i was on insulin last time is it a sure thing ill need it this time as well or is each pregnancy different i seem to develop it very early im nearly 11 weeks and i have some of the symptoms already i know they can be similar to pregnancy symptoms but this is my 4th pregnancy and ive had it on all of mine so far don't think this one will be different

thanks for your help

Hi Niamh,

Yes more than likey you will need to go on to insulin in this pregnancy too. It's not so much the baby, but the hormones that you are making to support you pregnancy are interfering with the insulin that you make and virtual block it's action. As you know from last time, after baby is born, the hormones subside and you can can off insulin. I don't want to be a doom sayer here either, but you'll need to look after yourself and watch your diet and excercise because your body is showing you it has a tendence for Type 2 diabetes later in life. In a way that's a good thing because it's so very prevelent these days and for every one person that has been diagnosed, there is another that doesn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Hi Niamh,

Yes more than likey you will need to go on to insulin in this pregnancy too. It's not so much the baby, but the hormones that you are making to support you pregnancy are interfering with the insulin that you make and virtual block it's action. As you know from last time, after baby is born, the hormones subside and you can can off insulin. I don't want to be a doom sayer here either, but you'll need to look after yourself and watch your diet and excercise because your body is showing you it has a tendence for Type 2 diabetes later in life. In a way that's a good thing because it's so very prevelent these days and for every one person that has been diagnosed, there is another that doesn't know.
    will I have to go on insulin earlier this time or does it all depend on my blood sugars and how they behave!
    Ive ordered a blood sugar meter on line and im going to keep an eye on them from now on see what food work best i do a lot of exercise about an hour a day walking my boys to school i enjoy it i kept it up the last time and i think it pays off in labour . I know i might develop type 2 later in life i often wonder am i borderline now as u=it comes on so early but will be on a very healthy eating regime ill have a bit of weight to lose after this baby is born and i know that only increases the risk plus i don't want to feel awful in clothes when we get to Australia
    thanks for your help

Sorry for not replying sooner! We've just moved house, trying to organise a christening, a 2 year old birthday, and get the internet up and running. But anyway, enough about me, Yes it does totally depend on what our Blood Glucose levels are doing. That being said though, if they've misbehaved once before during pregnancy, more than likely they will do it again despite your good efforts. However you may get lucky, so don't stop paying attention to them! Hope that helps.