Thread: Olive Leaf Extract

Default Olive Leaf Extract

Who can tell me about it? I have often seen it out the front of the health food shop and they've given me pamphlets on it before. I've also heard a lot of people talk about it. I have googled what it is and think it might be good for me for a bit as my immune system seems to be a bit low.

So I just wanted to know if anyone has used it?

Have you found it benefited you?
    Who recommended it to you?
    Can you take it while breastfeeding?

We use it in our house when we feel a cold coming on, it definitely works and stops the cold taking hold, but it tastes terrible! DH and the kids call it swamp water LOL!

I'm not sure if it's safe to take while BF'ing though, hopefully someone else can answer that one for you.

I have used it for my boys also during the winter months. Again they are not too happy with the taste, i bought juice (which is a real treat) to mix it with. You can get a kids one which is meant to be berry flavoured but between two i'd be buying a bottle a week

I myself have not taken it as i seem to have a pretty good immune system and don't get much at all.

I did mention to my Dr that i had bougth it for the kids and he said there is nothing proved about olive leaf... But i'm happy with it

I did see an episode of ACA that had people praising it some time this year

You can buy the capsules which is what we use .

My osteo recommended it to me when I had glandular fever. I actually don't mind the taste. Would take olive leaf extract over echinacea any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday's Child View Post
    My osteo recommended it to me when I had glandular fever. I actually don't mind the taste. Would take olive leaf extract over echinacea any day.
    I put hem both in the same taste category blah!

I use it when there are colds in the house or if I'm feeling like I'm a bit low immunity wise, you know run down. My chiro recommended it to me. A resident at work had it recommended to her by her GP, she swears by it.

It can possibly have an effect on your milk supply when BF. Not a complete dry up but a drop. I've never had a problem personally and a friend of mine has used it longer than me and is up to child #6 and has never had supply issues with it either.

Capsules would be great to avoid the taste!!! But check out what's in them. Anything in a liquid form is more easily absorbed, and efficiently used by your body than tablet or capsules. I'll have to check them out my self

Quote Originally Posted by willow5 View Post
    It can possibly have an effect on your milk supply when BF. Not a complete dry up but a drop. I've never had a problem personally and a friend of mine has used it longer than me and is up to child #6 and has never had supply issues with it either.
    I forgot to mention I was bfing when I first taking it and didn't notice any effect on my supply. I could do with some now as I'm coming down with a cold, but there's conflicting advice about use in pregnancy so I won't take it just to be safe.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll get some and see if it helps!

my mum uses the tablets and swears that they have improved her general health dramatically - she does not feel she is coming down with colds as often or thus her asthma is not aggravated as regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    Who can tell me about it? I have often seen it out the front of the health food shop and they've given me pamphlets on it before. I've also heard a lot of people talk about it. I have googled what it is and think it might be good for me for a bit as my immune system seems to be a bit low.

So I just wanted to know if anyone has used it?

Have you found it benefited you?
    Who recommended it to you?
    Can you take it while breastfeeding?
    Olive leaf Extract (OLE) contains many antioxidants, however the unique one to this plant is Oleocanthal and Oleocanthal. It is believed that this is responsible for reducing inflammation and boosting immunity respectively. many people who have had cardivascular damage, or wish to improve their cardiovascular health, and those wanting to reduce inflammation caused by arthritis take OLE regularly. Those wishing to boost their immunity of help get fid of a cough take OLE during winter. Available in liquid or capsule form, be sure to get good quality ones as there are many 'diluted' forms on the market. I take the capsules daily, and took them through out my pregnancy to help boost the immunity of my child. No problems to take it during breastfeeding, however during pregnancy I would suggest only using it as symptomatic relief of a cold, hot for ongoing use.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Tsoleridis View Post
    be sure to get good quality ones as there are many 'diluted' forms on the market
    That's good to know because i have often wondered if things such as OLE, Fish Oil etc are the same no matter where you purchase them from. Have you noticed Aldi sell them?? I've always been a bit hesitant to pick them up let alone check out the make up of it. I feel security buying them from a health food shop Just me

I've heard the Australian one is very good. Comvita.

I was taking it in liquid form daily for a while last year and noticed huge improvements in my health and well-being.

I had heaps more energy and felt much healthier.

I use it for the girls when they are fluey.

Not sure of its effects on breastfeeding though. I'll have a look around and see if I can find any research on it.

Overall, I thought it was great and reccommend it

Quote Originally Posted by *EJ* View Post
    That's good to know because i have often wondered if things such as OLE, Fish Oil etc are the same no matter where you purchase them from. Have you noticed Aldi sell them?? I've always been a bit hesitant to pick them up let alone check out the make up of it. I feel security buying them from a health food shop Just me
    Aldi are usually common names we know, just re-branded. They contract manufacture with well known companies, however...caution is required. There are many grades to supplements. Superior all the way to junk. Superior forms of supplements contain little or no excipients (binders/fillers like talc, carlcium carbonate, preservatives, colourings...all the stuff that makes it look, feel, taste and appeal to you). I can list off good and bad ones, but that would be considered slander
    Examples of poor quality ones may well include the Aldi brand. That's not to say they wouldn't use a good manufacturer, just that the quality of the products could well be the lower grade. So the first press olive leaf extract may go under their own brand (for example, Olive Leaf Australia), and the second or third press or even using the stems and leaves rather than the fruit may go into the inferior brand. I'm not suggesting Aldi do this, I'm just using it as an example. this goes with anything. Fish oil is PRIME example. There's fish oil, then there's fish cr&p. Pure fish oil, first pressed, using small fish, from the northern hemisphere that is in pure natural triglyceride form is VERY hard to find. There's only a couple on the market, and I can guarantee you would not find them in your bargain bin health food store/pharmacy/aldi

you are wise to go to a health food store. Not only are you supporting a small business, but getting great advice and usually better quality products.

Thank you!
    Picked some up today. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Just thought I would mention that I have just started taking grape seed exract (not leaf). It was recommended by my naturopath (along with a heap of other stuff) to assist with inflammation of my uterus caused by adenomyosis. Hopefully, it will aid implantation

i bought this all last winter to rid any potential colds. it is great for boosting one's immune system.