Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Snacks is offline BellyBelly Member

Default "First Class Baby Ban on Malaysia Airlines

From the SMH:
    First-class baby ban on Malaysia Airlines

Screaming babies and children on flights are the bane of many travellers' existence.

Well, one airline now has a solution — if you can afford it.

Malaysia Airlines has confirmed it has banned infants from flying in the first class cabin.

On Twitter, the airline's chief executive, Tengku Azmil, said the airline's policy of banning infants from first class had been in place for a while.

Mr Azmi said the airline had received many complaints from first-class passengers who had spent big money to fly in the cabin but were unable to sleep due to crying infants.

He said parents travelling with young children could fly in business or economy class.

Speaking to Australian Business Traveller, Mr Azmi said the first-class ban applied to the airline's Boeing 747 jumbo jets and will also apply to the Airbus A380 when Malaysia Airlines takes delivery of the superjumbo.

The issue of children on flights is always controversial. A survey last year found 60 per cent of travellers wanted airlines to create a "family friendly" section of the aircraft to keep children contained to one area.

The survey, by price-comparison site Skyscanner, found non-parents were the biggest supporters of the idea, with just 8 per cent of those surveyed arguing that families should be able to sit wherever they like and the majority saying they wanted to sit "as far away as possible from children".

Earlier this year, European budget carrier Ryanair said it would introduce child-free flights from October.

Whether the airline was serious or not remains to be seen, with many believing the plan to be a joke ... because Ryanair announced it on April 1.
    LOL, I'd probably feel the same way if I could afford to fly in first class!

Do you think this is discriminatory?

The survey results are not particularly surprising. Pre-kids I always rolled my eyes in annoyance if I was seated near a kid. Now, when traveling without kids I am more compassionate towards the parents and a bit more understanding of babies who are unsettled and possibly in pain... but if I'm to be brutally honest... I still don't desperately want to sit near them, LOL!
    Amy Dave

Natalie Kate 27/12/06
    Phoebe Grace 31/05/09

"Life is too short to get upset over spilled cereal and misplaced shoes... No matter what happened yesterday, today is a new day. Today we can choose a peaceful response." ~ Rachel Macy Stafford - 'Hands Free Mama'

Phteven is offline Moderator
    Add Phteven on Facebook

If they wish to treat children and parents as second class citizens that is their prerogative just the same as it is my prerogative to specify that I won't fly with Malaysia Airlines when I book tickets from now on.

Personally having flown long haul with my children numerous times the people I feel sorry for are the babies not any whining adult who expect a plane journey to be an oasis of peace. If you have realistic expectations you're less likely to have them broken.
    Last edited by Phteven; June 30th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Statistics show that children who grow up in a two ninja household are three times less likely to invite a friend over for dinner.
    Use my Spartan Street Team code for a discount at any Spartan race - CHLS
    MySec

RhiChiChi is offline BellyBelly Member

I think it is discriminatory. If you have the money to pay for whatever class, you should be allowed to book which ever service you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    If they wish to treat children and parents as second class citizens that is their prerogative just the same as it is my prerogative to specify that I won't fly with Malaysia Airlines when I book tickets from now on.
    hahaha!
    24.06.07 love of our life, determined, independent, keeping us on our toes
    01.11.12 dark haired, miracle

Charlotte91 is offline BellyBelly Member

Ryanair is sooo suss, tho.
    They charge you to use the toilet and charge overweight people extra.

http://www.miraclebabies.org.au/prem...-weeks/hannah/
    6/8/11 ....
    Colby: July 2012. My VBAC, Boob-loving Chub Chub.

Add Phteven on Facebook

Is it legal in Australia? They used to allow smoking on their planes but no-one could light up until they were out of Australian airspace. Maybe They will have to wait until they are in international airspace and then move the babies.
    Statistics show that children who grow up in a two ninja household are three times less likely to invite a friend over for dinner.
    MySec

NaeNae is offline The only thing stopping me .... is me
    Add NaeNae on Facebook

I have done an extremely long flight (Melb - Bangkok - Sweden) with a baby on either side of me and it was horrible.

That said if a parent can afford to fly first class how is the fact that they pay a lot of money for more space and luxury any different to anyone else? Why SHOULD parents be forced to go into the other areas that are less roomy ?? Its discrimination plane and simple (pun). I cannot believe they are allowed to get away with it.
    WILLOW MAE has arrived - 13-12-2011
    Shae, 12-11-09 - love u more than the sun, and the moon and the whole wide world
    Nikita my 24 weeker 25/5 - 2/6 2008, my heart of hearts M/C x3 - 07 & 09 & 11
    THANK YOU MAYANESS FOR A LOVELY BA

Miss E is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by charlotte91 View Post
    They charge you to use the toilet and charge overweight people extra.
    Are you serious? They charge you to use the toilet????
    Me + DH + DS1 7/09 + DS2 4/12 = a land full of

“Parenting is 10% what our child does -- and 90% how we react to it.” Dr. Laura Markham

Charlotte91 is offline BellyBelly Member

Yep, it was on TV last year some time. Thats Ryanair, not malaysia airlines.

http://www.miraclebabies.org.au/prem...-weeks/hannah/
    6/8/11 ....
    Colby: July 2012. My VBAC, Boob-loving Chub Chub.

Quote Originally Posted by charlotte91 View Post
    Yep, it was on TV last year some time. Thats Ryanair, not malaysia airlines.
    Wow! That does seem a little OTT... But then I remember being amazed that you had to pay to use public toilets when we travelled through Europe a few years ago. I guess, this is just an extension of that.

“Parenting is 10% what our child does -- and 90% how we react to it.” Dr. Laura Markham

Nai
    Nai is offline ..the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood!

Maybe another airline should make a parents and kids specific area to pick up on the market - get rid of their first class and make it a creche area with kids all sitting together, eating and watching movies and doing fun activities with kiddie friendly flight attendants.
    Nai (41) DP (43) - Celebrating 11 years of Unwedded bliss!
    DD1: my graceful, empathetic, adorable, clever, brown-eyed ski-bunny
    DD2: my groovin', wisecracking, cuddly, cute as a button, blue-eyed monkey

To find out how to sponsor me as I run a half marathon for refugees PM me!

luna moth is offline ...because butterflies are overrated

I think it's a great idea. I would pay to be seated away from the whingey types who complain about babies. Perhaps they imagine that they were never babies themselves?

I flew Melbs-KL seated next to a baby on Malaysia Airlines. Staff were amazing, the family I sat near were really lovely, the baby was great. So sucked in to whatever douchebag pays extra to be away from that. If these moaners are happy enough to be parted from their money, who am I to stop them? I say good on Malaysia Airlines.

AND they serve ice cream mid flight. I can't argue with that.
    DD1 born December '10
    DD2 born November '12

Snacks is offline BellyBelly Member

If you have the money to pay for whatever class, you should be allowed to book which ever service you like.
    Yes, this is the part that strikes me as being a bit difficult to get past.

any whining adult who expect a plane journey to be an oasis of peace
    But isn't that how they promote first and even business class on some airlines? I remember ads recently showing those reclining bed/chairs and it was essentially saying - hey, this is like being in your own private hotel room while you traverse the seas! An "oasis of peace" was exactly what they were selling!

Are there restaurants that don't allow children in them? (I know it's off the original topic, but I'm sure it's a similar thing? If yes, I wonder how they manage to get around the discriminatory/legal issues? Unless they have gambling facilities.)
    Amy Dave

Natalie Kate 27/12/06
    Phoebe Grace 31/05/09

"Life is too short to get upset over spilled cereal and misplaced shoes... No matter what happened yesterday, today is a new day. Today we can choose a peaceful response." ~ Rachel Macy Stafford - 'Hands Free Mama'

Bathsheba is offline The more you know, the less you need. (Old Aboriginal saying)

I think family friendly areas in planes is a great idea. I've often flown with my children as babies/children and wished that we were seated near other families with kids partly so that my kids would have someone their age to engage with. Also I figured that if we were seated next to another family they would be less likely to be irritated my my crying baby.

It's just a fact of life that the sound of a crying baby is one of the most distressing sounds known to mankind. I don't demand that other people put up with listening to my kids cry for long periods without escape. If I was to be honest I would have to admit that if i was flying long-haul then (whether I was in 1st class or not) I would struggle with the sound of a crying baby for long periods. I don't blame an airline for trying to meet a demand and offering a place where passengers can be free of the sound of a crying baby. First class is probably the best place for that.
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting some kind of battle

Traveller is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber

well I think it's a great idea. The last time I flew there was a kid who apparently learnt how to tantrum on the flight and her parents had no idea how to calm her down. It was awful, she was screaming, kicking, biting and so upset. I would have paid good money to be sat away from her.

Unfortunately if they had succeeded in moving me then the child would have come too because it was my daughter

I have heard of kid free flights before and yes, I think it's a good idea. I'm also not bothered by first class being child free as long as there is a business class seat offered to parents for the same price as first class, with the same benefits (food, drink, etc). Travelling with kids is a nightmare, especially if you have a child reacting to being cooped up on a plane like mine did. If people want to pay vast sums of money so they don't make me feel even worse than I did with their filthy looks then more power to them!
    Mum of 4 wonderful kids 8 7 5 5 Twin birth story

Not odd...just a bit audacious.

Bit OT here, but my sister regularly flies business class with her two girls and there are actually some airlines that offer sky nannies. What a great idea. Wish we had the money to afford one!

Add Phteven on Facebook

I found the statement made by the airline.
    It seems that it is bassinets that are not available so if you don't want a bassinet it should be open slather. Since you can't use the bassinets during take-off, landing and turbulence and they have really low sides that require constant vigilance if your child is old enough to sit up they are kind of a PITA anyway.

I guess this means that I can't ask for people who snore to be sent to the back of the plane

Statement by Malaysia Airlines' Director of Operations

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:00 PM GMT +8.

INFANT TRAVEL ON MALAYSIA AIRLINES

In view of the recent media attention on the above subject, Malaysia Airlines wishes to clarify as follows:

Currently Malaysia Airlines operates an aircraft fleet comprising B737s, Airbus A330s, B777s and B747s.

Except for B747s, the remaining aircraft are currently configured for Business and Economy class travel. All these aircraft are equipped with bassinet facilities to cater for infant travel.

Likewise, bassinet facilities were originally available in the First, Business and Economy class zones of the 747's.

In 2003, Malaysia Airlines embarked on a revamp of First and Business class cabin of the B747s. The First class seat configuration was reduced from 18 to 12 for passengers to enjoy increased cabin space and extended legroom.

Each new seat came with an electrically operated ottoman that doubles as a visitor seat and could convert to a lie-flat bed with the main seat. As a result of this seat revamp and the introduction of the ottoman, there was no facility for positioning bassinets in the First Class of the B747s.

The reconfigured B747s were mounted into our flight network since November 2004.

Since then Malaysia Airlines has been accepting infants for travel in Economy and Business class of the flights operated by 747 aircraft.

The B747 aircraft is currently used for flights on certain routes like Sydney-Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur-London, Kuala Lumpur-Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur-Buenos Aires.

Capt Mohamed Azharuddin Osman
    Director of Operations
    Malaysia Airlines
    29 June 2011

Official statement with regard to infant travel on Malaysia Airlines' First Class cabin
    MySec

Erin_25 is offline BellyBelly Member

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post

I guess this means that I can't ask for people who snore to be sent to the back of the plane

That's just it isn't it, regardless of who we are, infant, small child or adult we are all allowed to travel public transport & this is what it is. We should not expect to get on anything, plane, bus or train & just sit back and have a ****tail & a snooze. When you are sharing a space with unknown people you just need to 'suck it up'!!!!!

The woman who talks too much, or the man who snores the plane down might scoff at a screaming child just as much as everyone else is scoffing at them.

And what, do they change the rules for some b grade celebrity who always travels first class when they want to take their child
    Erin
    Me & DH since 2000
    Loving life with my boys!

onthefly is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber

They should set up a creche at the back of the plane!
    I think it's a great idea. If I could fly first class I'd want my kids back in coach for sure

Snorers should definitely have their own section. That's the worst. Or CPAP machines or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast