Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Indadhanu is offline 2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Question Dizzy when laying down?????

I've never had this before... I'm getting really dizzy when I lay down, is that normal? Last night was the worst, it actually woke me up, the room was spinning and I was pretty disorientated (might have been more to do with waking up, but usually I'm pretty quick to wake) then I had to run to the bathroom (not great when you're dizzy, I think I ran into every possible thing...) and had a horrible spew. I felt like I was drunk, that feeling of everything moving around right before you throw up...

This morning my eyes are a bit blurry, and I'm been awake for over an hour, not just morning blurry... They're a bit sore too though, so I dunno if its related at all to the dizziness, but its odd for me.

I'm a bit dizzy now, sitting upright, but not nearly as bad as it was last night. The only time I'm NOT dizzy is when I'm moving around and walking, so doing lots of that (around the house only though unfortuantely, its raining up a storm outside!).

Is this normal? Just another pregnancy thing? I've read in my books about dizziness, but mainly when you get up from sitting or laying, not the opposite!!!!!????? Dunno if this is something I should see the dr for or if its just another wonderful pregnancy moment...?
    Last edited by Indadhanu; February 4th, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
    Two Mums and Two Little Girls
    DD1 'Little Moosh' (August '08, 39w6d, C/S)
    DD2 'Little Squish' (November '12, 40w1d, VBAC! Birth story: My healing Hypnobirthed drug-free VBAC!)

Sammiejane is offline BellyBelly Member
    Add Sammiejane on Facebook

How are your ears? could you have a slight ear infection that is affecting your sinus's too? (re the eyes)

If your concerned get it checked out.
    Could be hormones thou and how is your water intake?

Whirlwind Butterfly 3/3/2008
    Miss Pops 26/3/2011

Im going to be a squealing PIG in Feb 2012 for Loulabelle Oink Oink

jaspen is offline BellyBelly Member

also Alisia - lying on your back can make you dizzy whilst pregnant (although the fact you are getting it whilst sitting up suggests its something else)

but as Sammi said if at all concerned get it checked out
    me (36), DH (40), DS 7, DS 5, DS 3, 17/11/11

MummyTummy is offline A boy and a girl - as precious as can be, I'm just thrilled that they chose me!

They say that you shouldn't lie flat on your back from about 16 weeks onward as the weight of the baby and fluid in your uterus cuts off the blood flow to a major artery running along the length of your spine.

Other than that I would get it checked out as there could be a number of reasons and you don't want to start fainting at the drop of a hat!
    DH (36) Me (34)
    Jett Dion 6/8/08 Birth Story
    Emmelyn Ruby 19/5/10

I had a bit of a blackout and my eyes are getting worse so have made a drs appt. could only get one this arvo though.

Thanks guys.
    DD2 'Little Squish' (November '12, 40w1d, VBAC! Birth story: My healing Hypnobirthed drug-free VBAC!)

Nicambhar is offline BellyBelly Member

S**t Alisia, I get pretty dizzy in my second and third tri's with my pg's but not like you are describing. Glad you made an appointment with the dr. Take care and let us know how you go.

DANNIIM is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add DANNIIM on Facebook

Sometimes dizziness is associated with low blood pressure. You can buy a basic one for $100.00 at a chemist.
    ME33 DH40 DS1 14/04/2002 DS2 15/12/2008 DD1 13/11/2011

Miss A's Album

cherie26 is offline BellyBelly Member

Alicia
    it could be low blood pressure as during the first 24 weeks of pregnancy it is common for low blood pressure.
    Symptoms of low blood pressure to watch for include:

Dizziness or lightheadedness
    Fainting (called syncope)
    Lack of concentration
    Blurred vision
    NauseaCold, clammy, pale skin
    Rapid, shallow breathing
    Fatigue
    Depression
    Unusual thirst

Is definately needs to be checked by a dr but also check your sugar levels.
    Pregnancy is full of suprises! I hope your dr finds whats going on!
    Cherie 26
    Nicolas Nov 06, Kate May 08
    Kayla 13/3/07 11.5 weeks
    Due 19th September 09 another GIRL!

happymel is offline BellyBelly Member

Hi Alisia, i had a smiliar thing happen at the hairdressers!! OMG how embarrassing, everything started to spin and i was thinking oh im going to have to call an ambulance. I was lying at the basin having hair washed and treated for about 40 mins, thinks started to blur and i was sure i was going to vomit. Once i sat up i was ok though and felt better after going to the toilet.
    I hope the doc gives you some answers this pm. Hope everything is ok.
    x Mel
    Me (27) DH (29)
    ICSI babies- born at 33w6d, 27th Mar 08.
    1 little April 07, 1 little Dec 09

Ozziehoffy is offline BellyBelly Member

Alisia, how did you go at the docs hun?? I get vertigo which is pretty much what you described... it's no picnic that's for sure. Last time I got it I had labyrinthitis. Doc told me that sinus infections can also contribute to these things. I hope that it's something simple.
    Cass
    # 1 Joshua 07/07/93 Breech c/s
    # 2 Oskar 26/03/07 3:58am VBAC! 2620gm
    BF 19 months 2 days
    # 3 Elijah 15/04/09 2:30pm VBAC2! 3842gm
    BF 26 months

TWW is like a century!

Hi all,

Well I had a really frustrating experience at the doctors... She was a new dr at the surgery, my old dr had left, so she replaced her so I decided to see her... She checked out a lot of things, decided it was nothing, prescribed me maxalon (???) to stop the dizziness... oh and then decided to check my blood pressure which was 100/50, which she then told me was fine (????). I did a urine test, and she started at the stick for about 5 minutes with a really confused look on her face, and then told me to lay down so she could feel Bubble. She was poking at my stomach so hard I couldn't breathe, and poor Shel looked panicky that Bubble was being squished around (so was I but I was trying to breathe and not throw up from being dizzy!).

She then decided that I was completely fine, didn't need the Maxalon after all (I'm not really suer it would have done anything anyway...?) and sent me on my merry way with cramps from where she was poking around and almost in tears because there was obviously something wrong (even if it isn't major) and she decided that there wasn't.

So I spoke to a few friends who said "holy cow your BPs low!!!!!" so now I have to work out how to raise it a bit and see if the dizziness stops.

Might be worth investing in one of those home machines... instead of wasting money on a dr who looked my age and I thought probably knew about as much as me!

that sucks .. but i have low BP and its awful i get dizzy when lying or sitting or standing even , but i didnt know you can by a machine to tell you your BP ... thats a good idea
    LEA
    DS 06'
    DD 08'

spring_ag is offline BellyBelly Member

Alisia, so sorry to hear about your dr experience. I always had low BP and even worse during pregnancy. I did have the dizziness (& blurriness) when laying down as well and almost fainted a couple of times. One other thing is perhaps you have low iron level (i did during preg). Perhaps its worth it to get some iron supplement. Just be aware that some of them can cause constipation, so choose wisely.
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    Last edited by spring_ag; February 5th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.

rufalina is offline BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Honey find another dr or call the hospital and see a midwife. From what you are saying that doenst sound right at all.
    My OB said that if you get dizzy nauseous lying down to call him asap cause that is bad, and not good for bubble, and might be a decreased blood supply to you and bubs...
    I don't want to scare you, but having a Dr to tell you get on your way with a BP like that, and the fact that you were feeling nauseous in her rooms does not sound good to me, and I just want you and bubble to be taken care of properly.
    Big to you and bubble. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.
    xo

Nicambhar is offline BellyBelly Member

I agree with Ruf, find another Dr, or even ring the Caboolture hospital and tell them what your BP was and that you are not feeling right. What is it with dr's these days?

MummyTummy is offline A boy and a girl - as precious as can be, I'm just thrilled that they chose me!

Leasha - I agree with everyone above - go and see your midwives and treat it is a pregnancy issue not an ordinary everyday issue. The doc you saw obviously doesn't know much about pregnancy and she probably panicked! But your midwives will look after you!
    DH (36) Me (34)
    Jett Dion 6/8/08 Birth Story
    Emmelyn Ruby 19/5/10

happymel is offline BellyBelly Member

Wow, there are some incompetent doctors around!! Id def try call and see a midwife and explain to them what's been happening. As for the BP, its not that low. Do you know what your normal BP is from before you were pregnant?? It might be a normal BP for you, and is an acceptable reading not to be too worried about. But its all the symptoms and things that is the big worry. Also with your BP, there are a lot of chemists who will check it for free for you if you just pop in and ask.
    I hope you can call the hospital and get some better info.
    Good luck, i hope you are feeling a little better today.
    Mel
    Me (27) DH (29)
    ICSI babies- born at 33w6d, 27th Mar 08.
    1 little April 07, 1 little Dec 09

Hi all,
    I rang the hosp. who said don't see that dr again!!!!! My normal BP is 120/80... and two weeks ago at my midwife appt. it was 120/75... never gotten below 110/70 which is why I was a bit worried... just told me a few things, keep blood sugar up, keep sodium and potassium up, do some light exercise around the house, but nothing strenuous, and call them if it doesn't get better after 2 days. I am still pretty dizzy today, but feeling better overall. thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast