It may seem like a strange thing to say but there are many things you may lose when you start a new family. What could you possibly lose? Let’s explore.
The first thing you lose is your body image. Your physical size and shape will change significantly once you are pregnant and your baby starts to grow. This may be upsetting for some but in general it is accepted as part of the process.
The next thing you lose is your ability to do all the things that you used to be able to do in the way in which you used to do them. For example if you liked to do aerobics, your capacity to do aerobics will change radically etc, etc.
Once you leave work and actually have your baby there are a host of other things you lose. These may include the following:
- Your ability to have an uninterrupted lunch break
- Your ability to have an uninterrupted tea/coffee break
- Your ability to leave work at the end of the day
- Your ability to have social connections with other staff
- Your ability to have uninterrupted telephone conversations
- Your ability to pursue sporting/intellectual/artistic/relaxation interests
- Your ability to start and finish tasks in the way you would like
- Your ability to feel that you are in control of things
I’m sure that you could think of a number of other things that you lose as a result of having a baby. Some people become very distressed because many things that they valued appear to have been lost. However it is important to recognize that the things you lose are not lost forever. It may seem very difficult, even overwhelming, at first but things generally do improve.