Baby Shower Ideas – 7 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Baby Shower Ideas – 7 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
Organising a baby shower for a loved one is a big deal. You’re in charge of creating a fun atmosphere, in a beautifully decorated location filled with entertained guests. No matter what type of party you’re throwing, it’s obvious you’ll want to do the best job possible and that can feel like quite a lot of pressure. Now, if the guest of honour is a hormonal woman who hasn’t had a good night’s sleep in months and is constantly being kicked in the bladder, you may feel like you’re sinking under the pressure of keeping her happy.
To take some of the strain off you, we’ve compiled a list of fun baby shower activities to please any mum-to-be. Rather than focusing on the baby, the traditions below focus on the mother. Women can often feel apprehensive during pregnancy, and may have worries about the birth itself, by incorporating these traditions into the baby shower you can help the mum-to-be to feel empowered and supported.
Baby Shower Idea #1: Candle Tradition
There are a number of variations of this tradition. Firstly, you will need to make sure you have enough candles for all of the shower guests. You could match the candles to the shower theme, or choose scents that encourage relaxation, or even buy specially made engraved candles for the occasion.
You can use the candles to perform a blessing at the shower. Ask each guests in turn, to light their candle and say a blessing, or wish, for the mum-to-be. Another option is to ask guests to take the candle home with instructions to light the candle once the mum-to-be has gone into labour. The candles will be lit as a way of supporting the woman through labour. Alternatively, the candles could be lit once the baby has been born, as a way of welcoming them into the world and friendship circle.
Baby Shower Idea #2: Bracelet Tradition
This tradition is a nice way of supporting the mum-to-be through labour. A bracelet is made at the shower, that the mum-to-be should wear during labour to remember the love and support of her close friends and family. Each guest should bring a bead to the shower, and these are used to create the bracelet. You could even make the beads at the shower using modeling clay, this will make the bracelet even more special. Any guests unable to attend the shower, should send their beads in advance so they can be included in this tradition.
Baby Shower Idea #3: Baby Shower Games
No baby shower is complete without fun baby shower games! One of my favourite baby shower games is called, ‘BABY!’ Every guest is given a dummy on a ribbon to hang around their neck. If someone says the word ‘baby’, the first person to pick them up on it gets their dummy. The person with the most dummies at the end of the baby shower is the winner. Check out our list of 9 fun baby shower games here.
Baby Shower Idea #4: Belly Casting
This is a great way to remember the pregnancy. Once the bump has gone, it’s easy to forget how big your bump got towards the end. A belly cast will allow the mum-to-be to remember this special time, and how her body changed and grew to accommodate the developing baby. Depending on your budget, you can hire a professional belly caster to attend the party and produce a cast. A more affordable option is to buy a belly casting kit and do the work yourself. You could even create your own belly casting kit using plaster of paris strips. Another option, is to ask the mum-to-be to make a cast in advance, and ask all the guests to help decorate it at the shower. This won’t work at a surprise shower though!
Baby Shower Idea #5: Henna The Bump!
Henna is a natural product that is non-toxic and can be safely painted onto skin. Henna bump art is a great way to celebrate the pregnancy – and either a guest can do it or you can hire someone to do it for you. Be sure to take plenty of photos, so that the mum-to-be can remember her bump for years to come. It is custom for the guests to have henna designs on their wrist too. This will remind them to think of the mum-to-be often in the run up to the birth.
These are just a few ideas for ways to celebrate the pregnancy at the baby shower. Baby showers tend to focus on the baby, so it’s great to include some activities that focus on the mum-to-be. These rituals should help her to feel supported, empowered and ready for the birth.
Baby Shower Idea #6: Gender Reveal!
Obviously you’ll need to run this one by mum and dad to be, but an increasingly popular event called the gender reveal is growing in popularity.
At a gender reveal party, the parents find a clever or special way to announce the baby’s gender, if its been kept a secret! From cakes with pink or blue centres to all sorts of balloon ceremonies, there are some cool ideas if a couple would like to surprise everyone and announce the gender.
Find out more in our gender reveal party ideas article!
Baby Shower Idea #7: How About A Blessingway?
Have you thought about a blessingway (also known as a ‘Mother Blessing’) instead of or in addition to a baby shower? A Mother Blessing is all about mum. Its a great way to nurture her before her journey to motherhood (even if its not the first time). Check out our article on blessingways for more information!
Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. Please note that all suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 16 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Choose Independent Birth Education
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You About Formula
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun Baby Shower Games
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes of Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Boys Names – Baby Names For Boys
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – Remedies & Treatment For Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Ectopic Pregnancy Symptoms – Signs Of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Girls Names – Baby Names for Girls
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
- Internal Exams During Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Bra – When Should I Get A Maternity Bra?
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask
- Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your Baby – Preparing Your Pet For A Baby
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Pre Natal Yoga
- Pre-Eclampsia in Pregnancy – Symptoms of Pre-Eclampsia
- Pre-Natal Testing & Screening
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Early Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Test – The Best Way To Do A Pregnancy Test
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – What Happens During Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnant Or Trying To Get Pregnant? First Signs Of Pregnancy
- Preventing Postnatal Depression – 8 BIG Tips That You Must Know NOW
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Factor – Negative Rhesus Factor in Pregnancy
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Smoking During Pregnancy – FAQ’s on Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Stretch Marks – How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- The Importance Of Sleeping Position In Pregnancy
- Thrush During Pregnancy – Vaginal Thrush Symptoms And Treatments
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?