How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
So you’ve just found out that you’re pregnant – one of the first things you may be wondering is: how many weeks pregnant am I?!
An important thing to realise is that when doctors or midwives calculate your due date, they use a method as a fairly good estimate of when you’ll be due – don’t rely too heavily on this date though as only as little as 5% of babies are born on their due date. A full term pregnancy is 38 to 42 completed weeks of pregnancy, with the estimated due date (I like to call it the ‘guess date’!) right in the middle of those weeks – 40 weeks. So if you prepare for the likelihood of 42 weeks of pregnancy, you’ll experience less disappointment if your estimated date comes and goes. So many factors come into play that you can never be accurate as to a baby’s due date – and a study was even done where they got guesses from doctors, midwives and mothers – and no-one was more accurate than the other!
Understanding Weeks of Pregnancy
Week 1 of your pregnancy starts on the first day of your last period. Weird huh?! But its an exact date doctors and midwives can work by – unless you’ve had assisted conception and know exactly when the egg was fertilised, the exact moment of ovulation is usually unknown. And here comes another calculation which is flawed – it is assumed you have a 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14. As you may know, every woman has a unique cycle length and phases. You may have a shorter or longer cycle than 28 days and you may have ovulated any time in between! But for the sake of a date, you are classed at an ‘average’. Therefore when you miss your first period, you’re already 4 weeks pregnant.
Bearing in mind that no due date is completely accurate, to find out how many weeks pregnant you are, use our pregnancy calculator which will give you an estimated due date, estimated date of conception, how many weeks pregnant you are and how long until you reach the end of full term pregnancy at 42 weeks.
What If I Don’t Know When My Last Period Was?
If you don’t remember when your last period was or if you’ve not had a period for a while due to medications or were breastfeeding etc., you can get an early pregnancy ultrasound to try and work out how many weeks pregnant you are. Working it out based on your cycle is most accurate, followed by early ultrasound, then later ultrasound. The reason for this is that when a baby first forms, they follow some pretty uniform growth pattern as they develop. But as they get bigger, they develop at their own rate – genes come into play!
Its best to avoid ultrasounds where you can, especially early ultrasounds which are usually internal. This means the ultrasound is placed very close to your developing baby. Have an ultrasound if you must, but try to keep the time to a minimum and avoid any that are unnecessary.
What Happens In Each Week Of Pregnancy?
Don’t forget to check out our pregnancy week by week section, which contains information about changes in your body and your baby, week by week. Each week also has an image of what your baby and belly might look like!
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Follow Kelly on Google+ and become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 11 Things You Should NOT Say To A Pregnant Woman
- 16 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 8 Things You Must Know About Preventing Postnatal Depression
- 9 BIG Reasons Why Independent Birth Education Gets Better Results
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun Baby Shower Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 7 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes of Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Boys Names – Baby Names For Boys
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Breast Changes During Pregnancy
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – Remedies & Treatment For Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Early Pregnancy Symptoms – Early Signs Of Pregnancy
- Ectopic Pregnancy Symptoms – Signs Of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Girls Names – Baby Names for Girls
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- Internal Exams During Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Bra – When Should I Get A Maternity Bra?
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask
- Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your New Baby – 6 Tips To Prepare Your Pet
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Preeclampsia and Symptoms of Preeclampsia
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Noticeable Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Test – When To Take A Pregnancy Test
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – Your Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnancy Yoga – Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- Prenatal Testing & Screening – What You Need To Know
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Negative Factor in Pregnancy – Rh- Blood
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy – FAQ’s
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Smoking During Pregnancy – FAQ’s on Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Stretch Marks – How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- The Importance Of Sleeping Position In Pregnancy
- Thrush During Pregnancy – Vaginal Thrush Symptoms And Treatments
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?