|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
So you’ve just found out that you’re pregnant – one of the first things you may be wondering is: how many weeks pregnant am I?!
An important thing to realise is that when doctors or midwives calculate your due date, they use a method as a fairly good estimate of when you’ll be due – don’t rely too heavily on this date though as only as little as 5% of babies are born on their due date. A full term pregnancy is 38 to 42 completed weeks of pregnancy, with the estimated due date (I like to call it the ‘guess date’!) right in the middle of those weeks – 40 weeks. So if you prepare for the likelihood of 42 weeks of pregnancy, you’ll experience less disappointment if your estimated date comes and goes. So many factors come into play that you can never be accurate as to a baby’s due date – and a study was even done where they got guesses from doctors, midwives and mothers – and no-one was more accurate than the other!
Understanding Weeks of Pregnancy
Week 1 of your pregnancy starts on the first day of your last period. Weird huh?! But its an exact date doctors and midwives can work by – unless you’ve had assisted conception and know exactly when the egg was fertilised, the exact moment of ovulation is usually unknown. And here comes another calculation which is flawed – it is assumed you have a 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14. As you may know, every woman has a unique cycle length and phases. You may have a shorter or longer cycle than 28 days and you may have ovulated any time in between! But for the sake of a date, you are classed at an ‘average’. Therefore when you miss your first period, you’re already 4 weeks pregnant.
Bearing in mind that no due date is completely accurate, to find out how many weeks pregnant you are, use our pregnancy calculator which will give you an estimated due date, estimated date of conception, how many weeks pregnant you are and how long until you reach the end of full term pregnancy at 42 weeks.
What If I Don’t Know When My Last Period Was?
If you don’t remember when your last period was or if you’ve not had a period for a while due to medications or were breastfeeding etc., you can get an early pregnancy ultrasound to try and work out how many weeks pregnant you are. Working it out based on your cycle is most accurate, followed by early ultrasound, then later ultrasound. The reason for this is that when a baby first forms, they follow some pretty uniform growth pattern as they develop. But as they get bigger, they develop at their own rate – genes come into play!
Its best to avoid ultrasounds where you can, especially early ultrasounds which are usually internal. This means the ultrasound is placed very close to your developing baby. Have an ultrasound if you must, but try to keep the time to a minimum and avoid any that are unnecessary.
What Happens In Each Week Of Pregnancy?
Don’t forget to check out our pregnancy week by week section, which contains information about changes in your body and your baby, week by week. Each week also has an image of what your baby and belly might look like!
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Follow Kelly on Google+ and become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- “Help! I Drank Alcohol Before I Found Out I Was Pregnant!”
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Things Your Mother Didn’t Tell You About Pregnancy
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 11 Things Every Pregnant Mamma Must Do Before Giving Birth
- 11 Things You Should NOT Say To A Pregnant Woman
- 11 Things You Swore You Wouldn’t Do During Pregnancy (But Do Anyway)
- 14 Things That Get Harder When You’re Pregnant
- 15 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 16 Things Pregnant Women Want Their Partners To Know
- 36 Awesome Things About Being Pregnant
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 8 Reasons Not To Find Out The Sex Of Your Baby
- 9 BIG Reasons Why Independent Birth Education Gets Better Results
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Awkward Pregnancy Photos – 28 Cringeworthy Photos!
- Baby Boy Names – Names For Boys
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You
- Baby Girl Names – Names For Girls
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun and Enteraining Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 9 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
- Bedrest In Pregnancy – 14 Survival Tips For Pregnant Mammas
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – 6 Causes of Bleeding
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Bonding During Pregnancy – 12 Ways To Bond With Your Baby
- Boy or Girl? 20 Old Wives Tales Gender Predictions
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Breast Changes During Pregnancy – 7 Different Changes
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – 11 Tips To Beat Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Early Signs Of Pregnancy – The Very First Signs
- Ectopic Pregnancy – Signs and Symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Windy Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Internal Exam In Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Hospital Tours: 15 Questions To Ask
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Not Enjoying Being Pregnant? 8 Helpful Tips
- Nursing Bras – When Should I Get A Nursing Bra?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask An Obstetrician
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your New Baby – 6 Tips To Prepare Your Pet
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Post Natal Depression – 8 Ways To Help Prevent PND
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Preeclampsia and Symptoms of Preeclampsia
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Fatigue – 14 Tips To Combat Fatigue In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Myths – 10 Big Pregnancy Myths: Busted
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Noticeable Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – Your Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnancy Yoga – Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- Pregnant Belly Painting: 25 Gorgeous Painted Pregnant Bellies
- Prenatal Testing & Screening – What You Need To Know
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Negative Factor in Pregnancy – Rh- Blood
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy – FAQ’s
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Sleeping Position In Pregnancy – Which Side Is Safer?
- Smoking And Pregnancy – Myths & How To Stop Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- Thrush During Pregnancy – 9 Vaginal Thrush Self Help Tips
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- When Is The Best Time To Take A Pregnancy Test?
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?