|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Nursing Bras – When Should I Get A Nursing Bra?
When I was approximately three months pregnant with my daughter, I noticed (shortly after my ex-husband excitedly pointed it out) that my pre-pregnancy bras no longer fit. In order to prevent the embarrassment of my boobs bursting out of my bra, I quickly went shopping to get fitted for some nursing bras (also called maternity bras).
While I was being fitted, the sales assistants in the various lingerie stores all gave me different advice about when I should really be getting fitted and what size I should get – I ended up so terribly confused. “First trimester? Oh that’s a little early,” or “In your third trimester is a more realistic time as to what size you will need,” they said. Ridiculous! I was not going to wait that long to buy a comfortable bra! Not only that, but I had heard that it’s not ideal to wear underwire bras during pregnancy or breastfeeding – and all I owned were underwire bras.
After what seemed like hours, I ignored all the conflicting advice and bought a nursing bra that fit (giving me a little room to grow), felt comfy and went home feeling so much better. If I had to buy more nursing bras later when my boobs grew even more, I didn’t care! I just wanted to go home and snooze after being on my feet all morning!
No-one can tell you what size maternity bra you will end up wearing and when you will reach your ‘maximum’ size, because women are all unique.
Below are some guidelines for when you are ready to look for maternity bras.
When Should I Get Fitted For Nursing Bras?
There is no exact time to be fitted for a nursing bras while pregnant, for some it will be sooner than others. You may find you outgrow your pre-pregnancy bras fairly quickly, or you may not need to purchase a maternity bra until much later.
Are Underwire Bras Okay To Wear When Pregnant?
Underwire bras are not recommended while pregnant and when breastfeeding for several reasons:
- Your breasts may swell due to retained fluid late in pregnancy
- Underwire can put pressure on the breast which may lead to a blocked milk duct or mastitis
- Your breast shape will change throughout the day as milk is produced and emptied
A bra that is comfortable, flexible and soft against your skin is a much better option.
What Should I Look For When Choosing A Maternity Bra?
Things to look for when selecting a bra are comfort, ease of opening and closing of the clips for feeding, ensure it is a fully opening bra (ie. when you open the bra to breastfeed, it releases the whole breast) and make sure there is room in your bra for any extra growth and / or when your milk comes in after the birth.
What If I Can’t Find My Bra Size?
Unfortunately there’s not a great range of maternity wear available. If you need a DD or higher you will notice the availability, appeal and look of maternity bras of this size greatly diminish and stores that stock these sizes can be few and far between! The largest sized maternity bra I saw in a local shopping centre was a G cup, so they are out there. If you are having trouble finding your size, ask if someone can order anything in for you or you could always have one custom made. Try the Australian Breastfeeding Association or Bras ‘n’ Things for bigger sizes.
How Many Maternity Bras Should I Buy?
You’ll need two bras at the very least – one to wear and one to change into if you leak or end up wearing baby’s lunch! Ideally your bras should be hand-washed in a mild detergent but if you don’t have the time and want to machine wash, make sure you wash your bras in a lingerie wash bag (not the mesh style, needs more protection!) on a gentle cycle. With only a couple of maternity bras on hand, you don’t want to be left with nothing to wear if they get damaged! Don’t use any bleaches or soakers as they can damage the fabric and/or irritate your skin.
Do I Need Different Bras For Pregnancy And For Breastfeeding?
The words, ‘maternity bra’ can be confusing – maternity bras are designed to be worn both when you are pregnant as well as breastfeeding.
Do I Wear A Nursing Bra To Bed?
The answer to this question is one of personal choice. You may prefer to wear a bra so your breast pads stay in place or you may prefer to have your bra off for comfort. There is no reason why you should or shouldn’t. There are now maternity crop tops you can wear which are very comfortable, so if you don’t like wearing a bra to bed but are worried about leaking, you could always give maternity crop tops or sports bras a go.
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Follow Kelly on Google+ and become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- “Help! I Drank Alcohol Before I Found Out I Was Pregnant!”
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Things Your Mother Didn’t Tell You About Pregnancy
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 11 Things Every Pregnant Mamma Must Do Before Giving Birth
- 11 Things You Should NOT Say To A Pregnant Woman
- 11 Things You Swore You Wouldn’t Do During Pregnancy (But Do Anyway)
- 14 Things That Get Harder When You’re Pregnant
- 15 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 16 Things Pregnant Women Want Their Partners To Know
- 36 Awesome Things About Being Pregnant
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 8 Reasons Not To Find Out The Sex Of Your Baby
- 9 BIG Reasons Why Independent Birth Education Gets Better Results
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Awkward Pregnancy Photos – 28 Cringeworthy Photos!
- Baby Boy Names – Names For Boys
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You
- Baby Girl Names – Names For Girls
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun and Enteraining Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 9 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
- Bedrest In Pregnancy – 14 Survival Tips For Pregnant Mammas
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – 6 Causes of Bleeding
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Bonding During Pregnancy – 12 Ways To Bond With Your Baby
- Boy or Girl? 20 Old Wives Tales Gender Predictions
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Breast Changes During Pregnancy – 7 Different Changes
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – 11 Tips To Beat Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Early Signs Of Pregnancy – The Very First Signs
- Ectopic Pregnancy – Signs and Symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Windy Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
- How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Internal Exam In Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Hospital Tours: 15 Questions To Ask
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Not Enjoying Being Pregnant? 8 Helpful Tips
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask An Obstetrician
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your New Baby – 6 Tips To Prepare Your Pet
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Post Natal Depression – 8 Ways To Help Prevent PND
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Preeclampsia and Symptoms of Preeclampsia
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Fatigue – 14 Tips To Combat Fatigue In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Myths – 10 Big Pregnancy Myths: Busted
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Noticeable Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – Your Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnancy Yoga – Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- Pregnant Belly Painting: 25 Gorgeous Painted Pregnant Bellies
- Prenatal Testing & Screening – What You Need To Know
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Negative Factor in Pregnancy – Rh- Blood
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy – FAQ’s
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Sleeping Position In Pregnancy – Which Side Is Safer?
- Smoking And Pregnancy – Myths & How To Stop Smoking During Pregnancy
- Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- Thrush During Pregnancy – 9 Vaginal Thrush Self Help Tips
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- When Is The Best Time To Take A Pregnancy Test?
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?