Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permanent Care.......

When we wrote our life stories for our foster care application the format was from brith until today, year by year. This was different, it had to be much more detailed. It was more about you, the people in our life, how we were parented, how we think we will parent, how this willl change our life & how you felt about many things. I finished tonight, 22 pages later. I feel happy with it, I have been honest and I am happy to talk about anything I have written.

We had a call today from the department, hurrying us along with the life stories & medical reports we recieved this week. I was quite surprised by the call and it has us thinking maybe, just maybe we still have a chance at getting the little boy we started this process for.......fingers and toes are crossed in this household!

I didn't know the children came with a lifestory, they didn't mention that in the education groups. I know that when we have been matched and the part of the process of moving a child from foster care to our home is us putting a photo book together of their new life. Their room, our house, our pets ect. I am really looking forward to doing that (taking photos is my thing )

Quote Originally Posted by lil_chookie View Post
    I didn't know the children came with a lifestory, they didn't mention that in the education groups.
    Perhaps check with them LC. I know they do with adoption in Vic but I had just assumed it was the same for PC cause they look at it the same way for the child.

You sound so great after doing your life story! That is fantastic. Must be kind of empowering in a way. I really admire you and your DH.

I hope the hurry up call is a good sign hun.
    xx

Default Permanent Care

Hi Lil Cookie

Thank you for this thread, its been great reading as we are in the midst of education classes for PC in Melbourne. Wishing you all the best

Maree

We've just signed up to go to an information session for PC this Tuesday. Friends of mine - also young oldies Dusty! - have been PC/fostering for almost 40 years, and they can't speak highly enough of it! Given our fertility issues, we thought we'd look into this as well.

I would much prefer PC over emergency fostering - I just don't think I could give the children back, especially knowing why they came to me in the first place. I truly applaud those couples who provide emergency care!

Does anyone know what items you need to have before they will place a child with you? We would like a child as young as possible, so obviously they're going to need somewhere to sleep - but should we go out and buy car seats and prams and high chairs yet? Or will there be a small amount of time where we know the age of the child we'll be getting, so we can prepare the appropriate items?

So many questions - I can't wait til Tuesday!

Another question: Nurse Dan, if your BIL and S can't get the child to call them mum or dad, what term do they use? Personally, I wouldn't like them to call DH and I by our first names, but I can't think what they should call us...

Just a quick update........the young boy has been placed with another family. So while we would have loved to have him with us, we are very happy that he has his forever family now.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_chookie View Post
    We are just about to begin our assessments after completing education groups & a mountain of paperwork!

I would love to hear anything from anyone else who has been through this process?

Hi lil cookie,

I am dying to know how it all went. Do you have a little one placed with you now? I am about to start the assessment period too now and would love to hear more about yours

Cheers, Mack

A couple of months after my last post here we began assessment for infant adoption. In May '10 we received our official approval and in Jan '11 the phone rang and our lives changed forever. We were parents of a 7 month old baby girl! She is 2 now and the most precious child ever. In April of this year we went to court and our adoption was legalised and a new birth certificate issued. The end of a long hard journey! But one I would go through again if it meant being my DD's mummy

Congratulations! What a great thread to read. And so special to have a happy ending!!

What a lovely story and wonderful ending.

Thanks for sharing. This gives me much hope that I am on the right path.

Thanks, Mack's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12