thread: Question about Docs and foster parents

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Question about Docs and foster parents

I hope I posted this in the appropriate place mods
    My sister has been dobbed into docs again by my mother at the moment she is living in a caravan park and if Docs hurry up they might finally catch her this time just wondering If the kids are taken away would they even consider me being that she is currently one town over from me this time? Or is it possible the kids could be given to their dad which they have never had a relationship?
    Im really hoping I can get them if they are taken away, although me and my sister dont talk and shes not welcome in my house? So I guess its a broken relationship also but I do have her kids every time she is close.
    Sorry this post is all over the place wish I could just take them away and look after them like they deserve.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Maybe contact DOCS yourself so they're aware of your interest and can check you out?

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Thanks Keike I had not thought of that will do it first thing tommoz, just found out off mum shes taken off again so i would say they wont catch her wish there was more i could do

Nov 2007
    Earth

Oh, that's no good Can the police get involved?

There's a fair amount to do to become a foster carer, even if it is for family. If you can get the process started now, even if your sister has done a runner, then hopefully you'll be set up or close to it when they catch up with her. I know that the dept wants to keep children together and with family when practical, so I wouldn't think they'd have a problem with it

BellyBelly Member
    Add aussienic on Facebook

Feb 2005
    Boyne Island

If you do end up with the children then you should become a foster parent that way the department can help you with costs and other things.

You would have support and respite if needed

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Even though she's taken off again they probably will catch up with her eventually so maybe contact DOCS to get the wheels in motion now for the day that they catch her. If you have been checked out and approved before they find the children I imagine it would be better than if the first they hear of you is the day they take the children into care.

Life Member. Every Australian needs a Farmer.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

If you are already in the system it may make it easier to get the children as soon as it happens instead of going to a different foster carer at the start. I know a family who this happened to and until they could get the go ahead to take the child, she was temporarily placed with other carers.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2006
    country victoria

I know that in Victoria they will quite often look at kinship care, I guess it is due to there being a shortage of willing foster parents and if there are relatives willing to take on the care they do favour this. I would speak to DOCS and find out what assistance there is as you would still be considered a foster parent in many ways.

Good Luck and I hope the children are ok.

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Thanks so much for all your replies I rang docs and they know I am willing to take them if need be, shes been on the run from them for two years now I imagine they wont catch her until the kids hit school age if they make it, the police are involved already thanks for all your concern

Life Member. Every Australian needs a Farmer.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

Probably not even once they get to school age either unfortunately. The school system will only pick them up as at risk if she even bothers to enrol them in school.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2004
    Central Coast

You would be considered a preferred option for these kids (assuming you meet all of the fostering criteria) if their dad is not suitable. If dad is stable then there is a very real chance that they will be placed with him over you. The courts feel that a child is better off with a biological parent if possible. I think it would depend on the type of relationship you have with the kids and how often you have seen them. If the children have been living with you for an extended period and they don’t know their dad the courts will take that into account but it doesn’t mean that you will automatically get custody. Like the others have suggested if I was you I would get approved to be a carer as this takes a long time. Even if you want to care for your own family it still takes time (many months) and the kids would be placed with a temporary carer while you get your approval.
    Good luck, I hope these kids are safe and find a safe loving home with you.

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Hi everyone my sister had her kids taken from her yesterday and the court hearing is this friday. The case worker rang me and seemed to be fishing for more dirt on my sister like they didnt have enough information to keep the kids away from her? what are your thoughts do you think they would take the kids away if they didnt have enough reasons and then give them back? The lady said if she doesnt get them back then they will be given to family preferably so I am going to do all that I can to get them and my partner is behind me 100 per cent. I AM the best option I hope soooo much I can get them any advise would be great the kids are 9mnths and 4, my kids are 3 and 4mnths its going to be stressful but I know we can do it!

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2008
    Home, where else??

Good luck.

I don't know about whether she will get them back. I assume that depends on the judge but hopefully they have enough evidence to do the right thing by the children

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

I think they have more then enough just second guessing the system, it has let us down to often

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009
    Melbourne

Hi there,

The system is by no means perfect. I should qualify and say that my work experience is in the Victorian system. Some things DOCS can decide but ultimately the Magistrate makes decision as well which affects where children live. Many times DOCS don't want the children to go home but Magistrates make different decisions. DOCS will be trying to gather as much information as they can so they can make the best recommendation for the children at court - whichever way the evidence lies. The history of concerns also are taken into consideration.

With a lot of cases they legally have to work towards reunification so they put plans in place of things a parent needs to do to ensure that the children will be safe at home. Sometimes children are allowed to live at home with parents required to meet certain conditions and DOCS monitoring. Other times the children are removed and parents have the opportunity to make necessary improvements for the children.

If children are removed they firstly look at the other parent to see if they are suitable or not. If that parent is not suitable they look at other relatives next. The information you have on the children's father would be considered in terms of his suitability or not. They would also make some of their own enquires about his history.

If you need extra support from DOCS to help you out whether that be financial, paying for childcare, other expenses, assistance with children's behaviour or even respite let them know as in Victoria DOCS can often assist. Sometimes they don't talk about this upfront but there usually are things they can help out with.

It's a very big thing you are doing and the kids are very very lucky to have you.

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

Its scary because I belive it will be a huge change but its a much needed change and I am so happy if I am chosen. I have everything the kids need already including clothes the only thing we are gonna need is a bigger car but we can work that out thinking of selling and buying bigger for a while now just hard financially but selling the car will make it work............I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I feel like its going to happen, wish they were here tonight
    Thanks Lisa B

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2007
    Glenroy

How are things? Any news?

BellyBelly Member
    Add MummaBee on Facebook

Feb 2010
    NSW, Australia

She did not get the kids back, have not herd any details and probably wont unless docs is able to tell me. Now I guess now docs will evalluate everyone going for the kids and make a decision on whats best. I did speak to a foster parent in town and she belives that I will not get the kids because I have a child under two, I am still going to try my hardest but that was a tough blow. I cannot stop thinking about my sister her in pain screaming down the phone at me keeps running through my head. Im so scared because she feels she has nothing left to live for and totally blames me and mum. We did report her to docs but so did 13 people other than us. Deep down I know I did the right thing but blood is thicker than water keeps running through my head. Also the poor confused kids I wish I could see them.