Thread: Applying to study at uni as a mature aged student...

Default Applying to study at uni as a mature aged student...

Who's done it? I'm a bit stumped as to how to actually go about it! I'm seriously considering applying to study midwifery and I have explored the website of my chosen uni, but I can't actually find information about applying to study as a mature aged student. I know I need to contact the uni, but in the meantime I would appreciate any information from those who have done it. What is the process? The selection criteria? Are there a certain amount of positions for mature aged students? If not, how do they rank someone who completed school ages ago (1994 for me!)?

Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

congratulations on deciding to study

The way I applied as a mature age student was to sit a STAT test. My application was through VTAC but this is only for Victorian universities. Everything apart from the STAT test was online and it was easy to apply. What state are you in?

DH had to send through his VCE results, and then was allowed to start.

When he changed unis (from Monash to UNE) he had to do two introductory units which were all about learning to learn, to write academic papers, etc.

Good luck!

I finished yr 12 in 1995 and all I had to do was either prove that I had the work history and time management skills to handle the workload or I could apply to do their pathways entry course which was a one year part time course that had 4 units - 2 university prep ones for writing skills etc and two that I could take from the degree I wanted to do. Was the best decision to do that because it showed me how to write academically (which your HSC doesn't prepare you for really) so when I started doing my degree units, I didn't get hammered for poor writing. I think it comes down to your course too - some will need you to sit a test and others will allow for direct entry. If you are choosing to do your degree via distance then there are no limits to the amount of people who can apply at the uni I attend. Because I am doing my Bach Ed, I also had to complete my band 4 maths and english as it had been too long since I had done my HSC so my marks didn't count. But that was just for education degrees though, not any other degree.

I didn't finish high school, so did a foundations/bridging course then got in to my degree.
    Definitely call the uni to find out what you can do

I'm in Vic and looking to study through Monash. I have searched their website but can't find any information regarding entry for a person like myself. Maybe they make it tricky because if you can't figure out how to apply you clearly aren't smart enough to do the course!! Trav, how did you apply online?? The STAT test, is it a standard aptitude test or is it a test specific to each course? Thanks

The best place to start is the VTAC website. That's where you apply for uni. You can apply whilst waiting to sit the STAT test as long as you have the results before decisions are made. Their website is here delta.vtac.edu.au - Home and it has details of the STAT test under "Admission tests".

The test itself is an aptitude test with maths and comprehension components. It is for people who haven't recently studied and is for most courses (exluding law and medicine), but if you don't want to sit it then you can apply to the university directly to study one or two individual units which would demonstrate to the uni that you are able to study at degree level.