Thread: Bachelor of Education Early Childhood Q?

Default Bachelor of Education Early Childhood Q?

So for a long time now I've harboured a desire to become a early childhood teacher. I've always found reasons to put it off but now that I'm home with the baby I've been thinking more and more about actually going ahead and doing it. My two biggest fears are that I'm not smart enough for uni (I'm a practical hands on learner) but I know a lot of that is tied up in self esteem and secondly I'm really not an arty person. For those of you that have done the degree do you need to be really good at arts and crafts to complete it? What sort of stuff do you have to make? I can definitely print stuff out and laminate but I'm not good at drawing/ making stuff etc.

Default Re: Bachelor of Education Early Childhood Q?

I am currently studying my bachelor of education primary. I started back in 2009, since then have had 3 children and am now part time and will get there soon in a couple of more years.

While I am not doing early childhood we do share a number of the same units and it's definitely not at all a requirement to be artistic. In fact it's more about guiding the students and letting them express and draw/create what they want. It's about talking to them about their creation, linking it to some other learning (maybe you have a theme of animals or dinosaurs) and building their confidence levels. It's about helping create self motivated learners.

My two sons are at kinder. The main teacher ( the one with the degree) does not do any art. She plans the activities, looks at literacy learning etc. it is the co- educator ( cert III ) that likes to be creative and decorate the room.

Hope this helps. I have wanted to be a teacher for years and years and finally at age 30 (all those years ago!) finally took the first step.

Good luck!

Forgot to add about your 'smart' comment. They generally start you off gently in the first year, getting you use to essay writing, research tasks and so forth. Then ramp it up each year. You'll be surprised how well you will go - also don't forget the majority of the other students are 18, 19 year olds who ( in my opinion) are not always the most diligent Uni students - at my Uni they are often busy skipping class to shop, going out etc... Where the old mature age students like me just want to get the work done.

Thanks so much Milka! That is really helpful information. If I start next year I'll be 30 and it will prob take me years to finish as well I am thinking about doing a diploma in childhood education at TAFE first whilst DS is still young (and to get me into the swing of studying again) so I guess I need to look at my options and make some decisions.

From someone who has done a lot of uni (undergrad through to PhD), i can tell you that being smart has very little to do with any of it, and it is all about putting in the work. Often courses include study skills in the first semester that can help get you into the swing. Also in the first year it can be hard to know what to expect with the exams and assignments but that is all part of the learning curve, and everyone will be in the same boat. If you have a passion for a topic then you are halfway there.

If it helps I know quite a few people who aren't 'smart' who are teachers or studying to be teachers.

Thanks girls! I think I just find the whole idea of uni quite daunting but as you said everyone is in the same boat at the start. I already have TAFE quals in my current career field so I think that's why I'm leaning towards doing a diploma first as it doesn't seem as scary since I have already been through the TAFE system and it will count as credit towards the degree but I'll have a good think about my options and go from there.

Do it! If you follow your passion it will add sooo much to your life.
    I'm a kindergarten teacher in Victoria and I'm not arty at all. Each teacher brings their own strengths and passions to the groups of children they teach. I beat myself up for years for not being arty after a supervising teacher wrote about this as a weakness. Last year a new graduate teacher talked about finding what your passionate about and nurturing that.
    So I may not be good at art but I'm fantastic at anti- bias, anti- stereotype, inclusion, teaching children advocacy, emotional literacy, reflection, relationships with children and families.
    I stretch myself to provide artistic experiences for the children because I understand the value of if as a means to communicate ideas but you don't have to be good at arts and crafts to be an awesome teacher and make a real difference in children and families lives.
    Btw- I thought I wasn't smart either but when I got a Distinction for my first assignment it changed my self concept.
    I went on to graduate after 3 years study in the top 2% across Australia that year with Deans Honours.
    You can do this!

Em, maybe look into whether your uni of choice offers a pathway/preparation type course before you commit to an actual degree. I did my BEd Primary degree through UNE Armidale and they do a foundation pathways course, which is entirely free, and it teaches you how to write academic essays and prepares you for the workload that you can expect while doing your degree. It's only 12 months part time (two subjects over two study periods) and you can also incorporate 2 units from your chosen degree that you can get advanced standing on when you start the actual degree. It was the best thing I ever did, otherwise I would have been smashed on the first assignment I handed in! So that might be an option for you to look into if you're not sure how you will go. And you don't have to be arty or crafty either.

Oh a prep course sounds perfect for me. Thanks heaps for the tip I'm going to look into it

Trillian here is a huge for you. I have spoken to a local uni and they offer a free uni prep course tailored at those wanting to study education degrees and it's all online. I'm filling out my application form for semester 1 next year now so fingers crossed I get in but I feel way more comfortable doing it this way as it will be a true indicator of if I can do this or not. I'm feeling really excited right now can't believe I'm actually going for it

I'm so excited for you! It's a daunting, yet completely rewarding thing to do. I left school 19 years ago and if someone had of told me then that I would have finished a uni degree in my mid 30's, with 4 children and a shift working DH I would have told them they were crazy! I fell into the trap of believing people when they said to me at school that I didn't have what it took to do well at Uni and I always doubted I could do it. But I kicked its ass! I have no doubt that you will do well and that once you get into it, you'll find that it wasn't so hard after all. Good luck!