Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centrelink & study?

Default Re: Centrelink & study?

I am thinking the same. My kids will all be in school next year, but I can do a diploma after. Especially since doing this course is as much for my chances of getting a fulltime job coming up as it is for my future. If I'm planning to work & study I'd be better off with the cert 4.

If there is an institute closer, it'd still be too far away. Online is my only option. The closest town is 60kms away & I know there is nothing here.

Fwiw - I haven't stepped foot in a learning institution in well over 10 years. If you're dedicated to doing it then its not always necessary to be face to face.

Have a look at the subjects and talk to the course coordinator as you may be able to start the cert IV and transfer over to the diploma later and possibly have credits for the units already completed. I know I chopped my business admin (medical) in half as I'd already done a similar course.

Just a heads-up - the SEEK course is actually delivered by OTEN, just with a different interface and higher price tag. It's a gimmick for both tafe and seek. Shame about the OTEN policy change, they're awesome.

Yeah, I think I figured that out. I'm pretty disappointed that OTEN has changed, but you can still do online learning through Tafe, so better than nothing.

Open Colleges contacted me yesterday as well. At least after speaking to the advisors I feel more comfortable doing the certificate 4. I was going for the 3, but was told I'd be better off with the 4, if not even the diploma. Given that it has been so long, I was sure I wouldn't be up to that level. But it feels good to know I'm there

$100 deposit & unlimited time sounds like a plan. So hoping TAFE contact me today... probably right when I'm busy I think I'll start with the cert 4, & maybe see if I can move up to a diploma later on, depending on if I get the job. If not I can do that after as well. Starting with the cert 4 isn't going to hurt me in any way.

So, I had the advisor from seek call me back.
    When I let him know my decision, that I'd decided to go ahead and do the cert 4 (through tafe, not seek) he asked if I'd done the 3 yet. I said no & he went on to say that I may not be able to do the cert 4 as I haven't done the basics of cert 3.

Way to make me feel stupid. When I first got in contact, it was the cert 3 I was signing up for. HE was the one who thought I'd be better off doing either the cert 4, or even trying the diploma. Sigh. I'm hoping it was just because I turned him down?

Sounds like it made you feel pretty crappy - would be totally fair for you to call him back and say, " I'm feeling a bit frustrated because I'm ready to take the step to study and felt that you were pushing me to do cert4, and now your telling me I can't? I'm confused and a bit irritated". Just to let him know where you stand with it all.

Don't listen to him he only said it after you said no to going through them. I would actually complain to seek learning about his conduct as he was trying to get you to enrol in a $7000 diploma course then turns around and says you wouldn't be able to do the cert iv. It's poor form and don't let him ruin your confidence.

Thanks. I just really wasn't sure what to think. I spoke to an advisor from open colleges as well, and she had no worries with me going ahead with the cert 4. But he did make me second guess myself.

Oh well. Paperwork coming out my ears right now. DD1's enrolment forms for high school and the boarding house , my enrolment forms for tafe & the cover letter for the job I'm applying for.

Done
    Too bad if I'm not smart enough I'm doing it

Good on you!! And good luck with it all too!!

Just waiting for the 'you're enrolled' email. Impatiently!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12