Thread: How many subjects?

Default How many subjects?

I'm looking at going back to uni next year after a leave of absence this year. I was just wondering, those of you who study with a famil how many subjects do you do each semester/trimester?

Its only me and the kids - little support - all the kids will be in school next year though, but I will be working a minimum of 3 days a week next year too. I also find that I can't just settle for a pass either, which adds to the workload/pressure. Just trying to work out if I'm taking too much on.

ETA: It's all distance.

Thanks

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I'm about to go back next year for a masters by distance ed. Uni recommends 2 subjects a semester, I've decide to do 1 and see how I go (2 boys under 5 and teaching full time). I figure if I manage that in semester 1, I'll decide if I do 2 subjects semester 2 or stick to 1 subject.

Start with 1 and work your way up from there. I made the mistake of taking too much on and dropped out. Worst mistake ever.

I was doing two units per 13 week study period. That is 24 hours per week, and is considered full time study load.
    1 is definitely much more manageable.

Depends too on the subjects themselves - heavy reading/research and 1 is enough with the kids/work/whatever. If they are light on reading, small assignments, or light on the participation requirements, then 2 might be doable.

Good luck!

I'm doing 4 units a semester with 3 days a week work and 4 kids in school. It's definitely doable if you are committed but difficult to get great grades and fairly exhausting. Some units are easier than others so you might find 4 units works well sometimes and 1 at other times. My advice would be to try 2 and see how you go. Don't be afraid to increase or decrease your workload as the course continues. Good luck!

I do 2 per semester, but will be dropping down to one just for next year as I'm due around exam time and will have a new bub in semester 2! I'm studying law though so there is a lot of reading and research involved with every unit.

Always easier to pick up the extra unit and then drop it if you think it's too much than it is to start off with only 1 or 2 units and then wish you had of done the 2nd/3rd/4th ones as well. I started only doing 2 for my first year to get the hang of it and then went to 4, which is full time study. My uni has trimesters and I have been studying over those to do a 4 year degree in 3.5yrs so it's been a hard slog. when I started i still had two kids at home for a year, and my youngest started school this year. But then I also started part time work 4 days per week this year so it was a learning curve to get used to family/work/study and my marks did drop back a little which was hard for me - I'm also the type to doesn't settle for anything less than a distinction grade or higher. So if you are the type of person who would find that hard, at least you know that so you can work out how to manage your time to let you dedicate more time to getting it right so you don't get the low grades, kwim?

I too am someone who can't handle to 'just' pass. When doing my masters I usually found one subject plenty each semester; although I did do two a couple of times and regretted it.