Thread: Uni with a family and computers

Default Uni with a family and computers

Did you do uni with a family?

For assignments etc, did you find it ok to use a family computer or did you purchase one of your own purely for uni stuff?

Trying to weigh up the pros and cons....

I purchased my own laptop for uni.

Yes, your own computer would be best as you could then take it into lectures, classes... Even if you are doing online study you might need to get out of the house to get the work done so you could take your own laptop to the library.

I'm halfway through my Uni degree... A bit tricky with a family but if you have time to go slowly or part time options I have found that best.

I'm 3/4 of my way through a diploma, not quite uni but still demanding on time. We have a family laptop that has been fine for me but my study is online so didn't need to attend lectures etc

Quote Originally Posted by milka View Post
    Yes, your own computer would be best as you could then take it into lectures, classes... Even if you are doing online study you might need to get out of the house to get the work done so you could take your own laptop to the library.

I'm halfway through my Uni degree... A bit tricky with a family but if you have time to go slowly or part time options I have found that best.
    I'm going to be doing a double degree, part time, distance.
    I'm still finishing my diploma which has been fine on the family computer but I haven't had to do any written assignments etc, only open book exams which I had to print and send back...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm trying to work out if I can justify another computer...

Initially we just had the one, which worked ok for a while, but eventually it wasn't fair on DH because I was always on it at times when he wanted to use it. So we bought another which is now "mine". My course is delivered via distance ed, so everything is online, and that's the only way I can access research material, etc. And TBH it's partly a contingency plan, if one of them is going to die, you can guarantee it will be when you're only a few days out from some massive assignment being due.

I've got an iPad I use for lectures (I download the lecture notes from Blackboard into Dropbox) and use the pcs at uni for typing up my assignments. It's easier to work in the library as there's less distractions (but I'm not at all disciplined if I'm at home as even cleaning the dishwasher becomes more interesting!!)

Thanks all x

What are you going to be studying BS?

Bac health science/bachelor community services

I have a notebook for lectures and tutorials. I also write essay plans on it but for assignments I generally use the family pc or laptop. Until recently we just had a family laptop but I didn't like the kids using it and therefore hogged it most of the time which didn't make me particularly popular at home

We were getting a second computer anyway when I started uni but we can't function with only one - not now the kids are getting older and needing it for home work/assignments and DH to do our business stuff on it. So I have a laptop I use primarily for Uni and then DH and the kids use the desktop. But atm the laptop has a virus so it can't be used and I have reports to do and DH was trying to get his BAS done so it was pretty crap.

And the study is definitely doable. My youngest was 2 when I started and at times it does get busy, but start off doing part time and see how you go.