Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uni help

Default Uni help

I need help sorting this Uni stuff out I have the opportunity to apply for the second intake of midwifery in 2 days but I just can't seem to get the finances to line up I'm only eligible for $60 austudy from centrelink a fortnight I also get parenting payment $200ish a fortnight for my 2 kids who will need to go to daycare
    I plan to do part time but is also have to do placement so I'm not sure if I could find time to earn money as well
    Hubby only earns minimum wage
    I'm starting to think this is an impossible goal until kids start school in 5 years

Any other students one here how do you make it work??

Default Re: Uni help

Don't think you can get austudy as well as parenting payment hun.

If you can't live on hubby's income I would think it's going to be a very financially stressful time for you. That's not to say it's impossible, but you need to decide if it's worth the sacrifices.

School is certainly cheaper than daycare but I suppose by then there are other expenses!

Good luck xo

It didn't seem to indicate online that was the case and over phone they didn't mention not being able to get both but it looks like I'll just have to wait a bit longer I really can't see any way around this
    Gosh it's annoying sitting here feeling stuck financially and wanting to do something with my life but I can't see any outs

Oh I so feel your pain.

Does it cost you much to apply? Then you can always make the decision in a month or so.

Ask on the centre link forum on here about getting both. Pretty sure I'm right but I might not be!

I tend to think uni that involves on-campus study and pracs is really, really difficult once you've had kids. Not impossible, but you've got to really want it.

Is there something else you can do that can be studied by distance?

Enrol in a uni where you can do it by correspondence.

There will be placements, when you will need additional daycare, but you can look into options with a nanny or FDC provider or similar for those.

You may need to get a night job or similar to increase your household income to make ends meet, or you may be able to find ways of reducing expenses (DH and I found that we could reduce expenses more easily than increasing income, by shopping smarter, in bulk, shopping around for better insurance rates, being more creative with entertainment and gifts, etc).

You will find a way, if it's a priority.

Or you may decide it is a priority - but one which will wait.

I can't apply again for a year so looking again next month isn't an option, it can't be done via distance that I'm aware of

yes, there are online options. google it

Default Uni help

Not for midwifery I've not been able to find anything but I'm wondering how online I can do nursing because I have seen online for that and then just do an extra year of midwifery at the end when the kids are older

Moderator Message ?
    moved to Adult Education

Thanks I couldn't find that forum when I looked

Uni of sa offered some external nursing courses as recently as 2 years ago so maybe that's a good place to start looking

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean88 View Post
    Not for midwifery I've not been able to find anything but I'm wondering how online I can do nursing because I have seen online for that and then just do an extra year of midwifery at the end when the kids are older
    Before I did my initial response, I literally googled "uni midwifrey correspondence" and websites came up for three undergraduate courses which can be done online for midwifrey, and eight postgrad ones.

The undergrad ones were Charles Darwin, Charles Sturt and Flinders uni.

Oh thanks I'll check them out I did google them before but when I went into the links they weren't actually correspondence

Charles Sturt for example only offers midwifery through distance ed as a graduate diploma. Which you could do if you do the nursing by distance first. Obviously it'll take more time but better than not being able to study at all until the kids are in school.

Thanks for the clarification, meow

Jelly - we were probably just using different search terms Good luck!!

Charles Darwin definitely do correspondence but I'm pretty sure you need to be a resident of the NT or SA. They used to let people from all over the country do it, but had trouble organising placements.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    Charles Darwin definitely do correspondence but I'm pretty sure you need to be a resident of the NT or SA. They used to let people from all over the country do it, but had trouble organising placements.
    This. I looked into Charles Darwin, and when it comes to placements they said that it's extremely unlikely to get one outside of NT.

From the website:

The Bachelor of Midwifery is primarily for students based in the Northern Territory due to the requirement to provide continuity of midwifery care. Indigenous women are strongly encouraged to apply. Interstate students should be aware that it is increasingly difficult to obtain clinical placement in jurisdictions other than the NT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast