Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are bumgenius really that good?

Default Are bumgenius really that good?

Have been looking at all in ones and they seem to be one of the most expensive of the bunch. Obviously I understand you pay for quality but even beehinds which Ive ordered and have heard good things about are much cheaper, so just wondering are Bumgenius all they cracked up to be??

I have tried alot of nappies but never the BumG's even though they were in my top 2 choices when starting out.

I will be interested in others responces also as 14 months on I have so many favs that are so much cheaper so I haven't bothered.

I love my Bumgenius. They did retail for $28 at one stage, then because they are imported from the US - and the exchange rate went up $hit creek - it became really really expensive to import them when you took that into account, plus the postage from the states on nappies is just outrageous!!!!

They are good nappies though. Have a reputation for the elastic wearing and breaking earlier than other brands, but even that is easily fixed by someone in the know - I haven't seen many complaints about them in any other way.

Hmmm, so really its not because they are super amazing that they cost more then? Interesting. Thanks for the replies girls.

I love our Bum G OSFA they were really absorbent & we had no leaks with them

I would have to say that they are my most fav nappy and well worth the $$'s. They really keep Bella dry and fit great around her chubby thighs. I was quite apprehensive about the cost of them at first, then I got some on sale at the baby expo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach* View Post
    Hmmm, so really its not because they are super amazing that they cost more then? Interesting. Thanks for the replies girls.
    I was explaining why the beehinds ones are cheaper - cos they are australian owned (even though not australian made) but the distributor doesn't wear the cost of importing them - which then everyone has to wear.

We love our BumGs but like Arimeh said the leg elastic has come away on 2 of my 10? But easy to use ...just s hame they went up so much!

hate em! The elastic is **** and goes a lot more than other brands, Ash got horrid nappy rash for the inners, I HATE microfibre and hated touching the stuff, the velcro tabs wore out quickly and I didn't find them very good size wise (they fit Ash from a NB but they didn't fit my 2 year old nephew).

I think there are MUCH better options out there.

Genesa Forge (our favourites!)
    Wild Child
    Whizz Kidz
    Itti Bitti
    Baby Beehinds (there fitteds and minky magicalls are awesome)
    Bizy Bee
    Flattery
    Bits For Bots
    Beetlebums
    Cherubs Kiss
    Bubblebubs

So yeah, I'd say go something else

I hate them!!! they take up to 3 days to dry and I live in Qld.

My Bum G pockets dry really quickly even in winter!! The shells dry in hours and the inserts in a day. I don't find them much more exp than others- a few dollars more but I do think that better PUL etc and velcro is used. They fare quite a bit better than others that I bought at the same time for not much less ie Cushie Tushies, GreenKids, Happy Heinys, Hautes etc

I LOVE my BumG OSFM POCKETS - I have never used he AIOs.

The pockets are super quick dry, I own 15 and have been using them as workhorse nappies for almost 2 years - NEVER an issues with stitching, elastic or the aplix.

I cant recommend them enough actually, I am and always have been super impressed with them - they have lasted 2 years, will easily last someone else another 2 years, so I reckon well owrth the money.

Hunt around, you should be able to find them on special at different stores at different times - Ive never paid full price for them.
    And if you get the OSFM then they will last for the whole time your bubs is in nappies - so if you bought the small medium and large of a sized nappy for $20 each, one OSFM BumG would be cheaper over the life of nappy wearing....iykwim.

Get one, try it, and see how you go...
    Last edited by LimeSlice; August 14th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.

I have never tried the pockets only the all in ones

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

When you're working out "is a particular nappy worth the money"?, it really is worth educating yourself about the MCN fabrics used in the construction of all the nappies you are comparing.

Find the nappy specifications of what you are considering buying, and take note of WHICH fabrics are used. HOW MANY layers of the absorbent fabric in that nappy?

bamboo, malden mills windpro are two expensive mcn fabrics for example.

looking up MCN supply fabrics sites will help you too
    (nappies covered, fairy fabrics etc)

reading the DIY SEWING threads on Nappycino also helps. The sewers tell you what to avoid, just by reading their posts. THey tell you the good quality velcro brands, the difference between 1 and 2mm PUL etc.

i did this (fabric education), not to sew my own nappies, but to understand what i was buying in ready made mcn.

so for example, if i was comparing a PUL nappy with microfibre absorbency, with a windpro nappy with bamboo absorbency, i knew which one SHOULD cost more.

i'm not sure what age bub you have PEACHES, but if you have a new bub, sometimes i see nb sized bumgenius aio on the nurture nappies site, on the sale page. Get one to try? i wouldn't personally buy a bulk number of ANY nappy, until i was sure it suited my bub (fit wise, absorbency wise), and suited me (carewise, ease of putting it on).

next month will be The Great Down Under Nappy Hunt, good discounts available from most of the sponsors of that hunt. register for the hunt and you will be able to use the discount codes (even if you don't complete the hunt).

Must say i'm a bit with Mel, npt that impressed.

I did have V2 though, not V3.

They are certainly a great fit, no leaks and they do dry quickly. But the idea that they last birth to TT is laughable. The elastic has gone in most of them, the aplix is worn, and a lot of the washing tabs came unstiched and fell off.

I wash on 40, never use the dryer and am pretty good to my nappies. So not sure what i did wrong....... but i won't be buying anymore....

As a comparison my OSFM blueberry pockets have lasted exceptionally well..... basically the same fit, but better quality imo.

I'm not a fan of them because in my experience they aren't built for long term use. The four that we use(d) for 2.5 years have shot elastic, freying velcro and the lycra sides look tatty. If I fixed the elastic and replaced the velcro I'm sure I can extend their life for a bit longer.

Having said that they are a trim well fitting nappy that performed well!

I agree with Arimeh that in this case the price doesn't dictate quality, rather the poor exchange rate

we have a full-time pack of BumGs pockets and have used them since DD hit the 4-5kg mark and she is 2 weeks shy of her 2nd birthday. so 2 years of solid use and they are going strong. so in our case, i would say that they can most certainly be used from a newborn to TT without problems.

in our experience i find that they dry really fast. i was surprised that ppl have found them to take forever? but i have lived in the ACT and VIC which are not world famous for humidity lol! so maybe that is a consideration. we have had an elastic issue with a few of them, but we still use all of them without any problems or leaks.

cant comment on other nappies as the BumGs have been so good for us that we never had to look elsewhere.

I am so and so about them.

I love the fact that the outer shell dries mega quick so you can simply reuse with different stuffing.

Love how it is quite thin and non bulky.

It fits great on DD with no leakage and sometimes she uses the BumG as a night nappy.

However, I did noticed their covering (i think microsuede or something) causes nappy rash on DD but she does have an extremely sensitive skin.

I bought mine at $28 each too but would never pay $38!

if you are worried about costs of them i think the nappy hunt is coming up and usually the sponsors have discounts so maybe you can buy some then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast