Thread: Do they really wash clean???

Default Do they really wash clean???

I was sure i would stick with cloth when I got baby home, but was staying with my mum temporarily, so i did what was easiest for her - we did well sticking to cloth we used in the hospital for the first few months but went to disposables after that.

I was sure i would go back to cloth, but i remember how hard it was to get the bright orange/yellow poo stain out of the cloth if you didnt bleach it properly.

In all my pre-birth research, all claimed not to need bleach or napisan type stuff, and yet i just cant believe that if you chuck them in the normal wash it will come out clean. My boy is breast fed, 7 months old now, and his poos are still watery and bright yellow/orange - I have an all in one and he pooed in it once and i freaked not wanting to ruin it so i soaked it first.

Do they really wash clean without napisan or equivelant???

Absolutely! I never soak, bleach or do anything other than wash and hang out in the sun.
    The sun is the key though, gets any stains out............ i was amazed myself.

My DD is 8 months, and BF and we have no stains at all. Give the sun ago, you might surprise yourself!

My Hubby and freinds said that it wouldnt work either BUT they have all changed their opinions now.

Any stains left on the nappies after washing will bleach out in the sun! I was a huge sceptic till I saw it for myself.

I don't know why but the modern cloth don't stain! I did have to soak my terry squares in nappisan etc but our MCN go into a bucket of water and then into a wash with half as much Purity as recommended on the bottle (half a cap) and they was spotless nearly everytime. As the others have mentioned any residual stains i would put a bit of washing liquid directly on the atain and then rewash next time and hang in the sun - after 15mth of continuous use I have 1 black/blue stain on one baby kanga and my Bumgenius inserts are a little cream/yellow rather than white but you can't see the inserts anyway.

Sometimes we get stains, but after the next wash (if they don't get pooed on again) they are spotless once more!

That is so bizarre! Err . . .actually the ONE I have is terry toweling I think, do they stain? If so, why did I get the only one that does?!?!?!?

Is it a terry flat, Amy? You can soak cotton flats without any problem, as far as I'm aware... (Soaking tends to coat the fibres of the more modern fabrics and also seems to wear out the elastic of MCNS.)
    My nappies do stain, for sure. But they always come out, either after some sunlight or after the second wash. If you use microfleece liners (you can cut your own from microfleece that you can get fairly cheaply) that helps to protect the nappy too, and I find those MCNs I have that have a fleece inner are the most stain resistant.

its shaped like a disposable but with presstuds. ill give it a go

Ive never had any issues with my MCN staining either, I ensure I do a nice hot strip wash every 3rd or 4th wash though

what's that? (hot strip), sounds like something I'd like for my birthday

mwaaaaaaaa

a hot strip wash is (courtesy of ozclothnappies dog org)

Strip Wash: If you get a particularly bad buildup of wash product residue, you can "strip" your nappies with very very hot water and a little bit of plain (non-moisturising) dishwashing liquid. Don't use dishwashing liquid in a front loader, and check care instructions before using extremely hot water on modern cloth nappies. Watch for over-foaming, and rinse nappies very thoroughly afterwards until absolutely no suds remain.
    Another way to strip wash is to add bicarbonate of soda to the wash, and vinegar to the rinse. Warning: Some nappies cannot be washed using these products, so please check with your nappy manufacturers carefully before trying this.

I am finding that my MCN's are getting a bit stinky. As soon as they get wet (i.e. after one wee) I can smell it...kinda puts me off using them, especially if Zoe is going to be in someone else's arms. Any ideas as to why this is happening or how i can stop it?
    I use bumgenious and greenkids (bumgeniuos smell worse than the greenkids though).

Quote Originally Posted by Falguni View Post
    Absolutely! I never soak, bleach or do anything other than wash and hang out in the sun.
    The sun is the key though, gets any stains out............ i was amazed myself.

Here here!!!

Danda - see the strip wash post above - that's what you should do if your naps are getting whiffy!