Thread: Help with Cushie Tushies

Question Help with Cushie Tushies

Sorry to be the one always asking questions, and thinks in advance for reading this.

I am a total cloth newbie and i only have 9 so far including 3 Cushie Tushies which arrived on Monday (1 couture, 2 basics). I washed them, and put them out to dry. They took forever to dry, which had me thinking perhaps they aren't the best winter nappy for those in Vic!

When DS woke up from his afternoon sleep at 4.30 yesterday, I put 1 of the basics on him. I took it off at 7.15 on his way to the bath - only to see the most hugest sorest looking welt on his little bum. Plus there were other little red patches too. Nasty looking. I have not had a problem with nappy rash with the prefolds or the BumGs that i am using.

It seems to be too much of a coincidence that he got these awful welts after wearing the Cushie Tushie?? And i'm not putting another one back on him until i know what's going on.

Can someone tell me what the fabric is on the CT that is touching DSs skin?
    Is this possibly causing a reaction?
    Could there be a different problem?
    Are there other nappies made of the same fabric that i should avoid? (seeing as i am trying to biuld up to full time MCN use).
    I guess most importantly, can someone tell me if there is something i can do to make this not happen again? (i.e. get something sewn-in?)
    Or do i need to accept that these are not the right nappies for DS and cut my losses?

Sorry, this ended up quite long. I spent a bit of money and I am very anxious to make this right.

Thanks
    Jo

Hey Jo

I'm sorry that you are having troubles with them! They have a microfleece inner, which isnt really known for being an irritant - usually its suedecloth (like whats in bumg's) that causes the most problem.

DId you change washing powder or anything? Or could you have used a bit too much or something? I'm hesitant to completely blame the nappy though, its quite odd that he can wear suedecloth and not microfleece. If you only washed them once, maybe a bit of manufacturing residue was still in them, that might have caused it. I'd do a good wash with no powder and try again if I was facing that problem.

If it is the nappy, you can buy silk liners to put in the nappy, that will help and you will still get the use out of the nappy.

Do you have any moogoo? That will help clear up the rash and you can still use your cloth.

HTH

Thanks Mel - again you are my little saviour!

The wash liquid was the same as usual. But I will rewash them now and try again when they are dry. Maybe i'll wash them twice more, just to be sure!
    He'd had no troubles with the BumGs. Weird.

Moogoo - where can i get it?! (Bear in mind i live in outer suburbia!)

They have their own online store - just google moogoo

On their site, they also have stockist details, so you might find one near you. I get it from a natural food store in maroochydore - so its easier to buy ours there than pay postage to get it delivered.

I have almost all the whole ct courture collection, and so far have not had a problem with nappy rash or anything, and my kids have sensative bottoms.

Im going outside the box on this one, and ask if they were hung on the line, could it be possiable if an ant or something was in the nappy?