Thread: night nappies and covers, starting up with MCN

Red face night nappies and covers, starting up with MCN

ok so im once again delving into the world of cloth.. I ended up going with cloth with my daughter around 5mths old due to persistent rashes but gave up once she got better.. Now with my son at 10mths old we are having the same problems and ive decided i really should be using cloth and am half excited half a little worried about it all..
    Ive ordered 12 itti bittis and 4 BBH night nappies with 3 pul covers.. Ive since been reading tho that i should use wool for night time? i bought these from the BBH website and they were the only covers available that i could see on that site.. do i now need to go and buy some wool ones? what do u guys think?
    Im starting off part time, DS goes to daycare 3 days a week so for now those days he will be in disposables as those are the days i work as well so i need to see how well i cope with the washing etc and then if it all goes well we will move into full time as ive already talked to the centre about it..
    Im excited about my fluffy mail i cant wait to get it all i just dont want to do something wrong in the first few days and make him hate the nappies or make his rash worse.. what do u guys think?

I don't use PUL overnight, as my DS's skin is sensitive & the PUL isn't breathable enough. These colder months I can get away with it if I need to, but when its warmer he wakes up with bright red skin.
    You don't have to use wool, fleece is great We are full time cloth & don't have any wool soakers.
    Have you had a look at Maz's stuff? She does some awesome fleece covers!
    There's no reason not to keep the PUL covers, you might end up with some day nappies that need a cover, or you could resell them if you don't think you'll use them.

ughh its so expensive setting all this up! ive already spent over $400 i know its worth it in the end but wow the outlay is getting a bit over my head! will check out the fleece covers as i dont think i have enough time to add more into the washing process.. will i get away with PUL for around 2 weeks till next pay or do u think im better off getting some fleece now?

I only have 2, for night use. You could just start with 2 & switch every night.
    You can use the PUL & see how it goes. He might be fine til you can get fleece

i use pUL all the time except for my maz covers which are fleece..
    havent ahd any issue, yes its not as breathable, but its always codl here so we dont get the heat issue.

try them out see how you go.

i avoid wool as i know ill stuff them up as i do with hubys wool socks

i use the BBH pul covers at night as they are all I currently have. I have not had any issues with DD overnight and she is snuggled up nice and warm with me under a doona at night. That said i am keen to get some longies and wool covers when funds permit. I find the bamboo next to her skin, even when really wet, has been good for her skin. Surprised me. Because of that I want to get more fitteds for day use as well.

I personally wouldn't use PUL at night. Same reason as Clover, just not breathable enough.

I can lend you some woolies if you like to see you through until you can get some of your own. I'm not using cloth anymore at night so don't need nappies or covers - so have a lot to spare IYKWIM

hey thanks heaps everyone for ur replies..
    think i might just try them and see how i go until i can buy some..
    Arimesh - ur offer is so generous im just worried something will happen to them and id feel really bad!

hey thanks heaps everyone for ur replies..
    think i might just try them and see how i go until i can buy some..
    Arimesh - ur offer is so generous im just worried something will happen to them and id feel really bad!

Meh - there's not much you can do to stuff them up. Don't use barrier creams, don't hang them so their elastic stretches, don't soak and don't use fabric softener. That's pretty much all the rules.. LOL

Offer is there anyhoo