Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I know what TYPE of MCN I want, but do they work, and what brand???

Question Ok, I know what TYPE of MCN I want, but do they work, and what brand???

I have a GORGEOUSBB lady who is lending me her MCN's to use on Little Girl when she gets here, and for me to just post them back when I'm done, But we'd like to put all the kids (the little ones!) in cloth.

So I think that the AIO, with extra inserts, (so a AI2?) one size nappy, is for us.That way all the nappies will fit all the kids.
    I could never afford to change the sizes over, or buy covers as well...

So.. I have found Bum Genius, Happy Heiny's, Bum Wear and Cheeky Butts all have a one size nappy, with extra insert, for about $28. As some of them are already AIO, it makes them about 6 thick for night time, without buying even more inserts.

Are these One size nappies ok, and are these good brands????? I'd like to grab some now for the boys....

(Kane is in nappies full time, and Zavier just has one night nappy, with usually just one wee in it in the morning)

Thanks ladies....

Why dont you try and grab one of each? You can test them on Kane and then decide which ones are best for you...

Chances are you will like all of them - so it wont be a waste - and if you dont like one or two, then hey its about the equivalent of 2 packets of huggies which you were just going to chuck out anyway

I have bought two types and all I have really been able to do is pour water in them and see how much they absorb, and how quickly. Also tried to see how easily they would pour over the sides - but both seem to handle liquid pretty well!

I am thinking I might grab a couple of itti bitti d'lishes just for when the unit is extra tiny too....

sorry that probably didnt help at all!!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

PurpleMama, when i first looked at MCNs and sized nappies in particular, i thought, OMG, every few months, i will have to buy X more of the same thing. This didn't turn out to be the case.

i used mainly prefolds and covers for the nb/small stage.

once my bub hit 7kg, i moved her into nappies that have the SIze 2 option (weight range is from 7 - 16kg). She is 22 months now, and 11kg, so i think she'll easily be in those same nappies until TT-ing.

So my fear about having to buy ALL the sizes, wasn't as bad as i had thought it would be.

THe thing with OSFA nappies, is they are good for MANY bubs but not ALL bubs. At both ends, the tiny newborn, and the bigger toddler, they are not always the answer.

You have to think about the boosters too. A microfibre insert (that comes free with many pocket nappies) may be great for one child, but not enough for another child who wets more. Six layers of microfibre is different to six layers of bamboo.

So getting bamboo trifolds and boosters, to CUSTOMISE each nappy for the child who is wearing it, will really assist you.

Putting a trifold inside a cover is a good nappy combo too (lay in a microfleece liner to keep baby dry).

THe reality is - kids within the same family CAN have different body shapes. I would suggest side snapper products to you as an option, as side snapping nappies are very adjustable. They adjust waist and legs INDEPENDENTLY. The same MCN Side snappers have suited my bub BOTH when she was a chicken legs, and when she changed into a chubby legged baby. So that flexibility is excellent.

Nothing is guaranteed. You COULD find ONE nappy that suits all your kids. But that is a possibility, not an absolute.

WHy not get ONE of each of the type you are interested in, and road test them on your kids? You will learn SO MUCH about whether those products suit your kids or not, just by using them for a few days.

THen whichever product meets your needs the best, get more of those.

The products you mention, all have PUL outers. PUL is not the most breathable fabric for overnight. Once the absorbent material is 100% saturated, the baby wees again, and the wee has nowhere left to absorb, so the PUL can wick (wet thru).

Malden mills AIO's like Kester Kovers AIO or bits for bots AIO, is what i would suggest to you there.

If you want any covers, the size 1 (birht to 7kg) adn size 2 (7 - 16kg) tots bots covers are on special at nurture nappies right now, great price.

Sure, the birth to 7kg stage - bubs grow so fast, it's not the most economical time to buy sized stuff (although it fits so much better), but the 7+kg stage - that is the economical time to buy sized stuff in my opinion. That weight range - 7 to 16kg is very generous.

Getting to understand what various MCN fabrics do, and what fabrics are in the products you are considering buying, will help you to make wise buying choices.

Do you sew or knit?

fairy fabrics have a great fleece soaker pattern (for your night nappy solutions)

on nappycino, on the DIY KNITTING forum, you'll find great links to free online knitting patterns to make shorties, longies (esp for night nappying). THe great thing with these handknitted wool items, is that even when they are a bit too big, they still work as waterproofing nappy options. You have to handwash and lanolise them, wich is easier than it sounds, and they only need washing every month, not every day like other covers.

buying a few metres of bamboo fleece or terry and sewing up simple rectangles e.g 30 x 40cm of bamboo will provide you with lots of trifolds. Just fold them in three. or make long skinny boosters, 60 x 10cm.

I can sew and knit but haven't had time in years!!
    But getting the fleece and terry for inserts would be easy and doable for sure, MIL would even do it for me...

I might grab one of each, find what I like, and make the extra absorbent inserts myself, a compramise I guess!!!

Off to check the other brands you mentioned too....

Jodie - another brand is Green Kids - one size fits all - pocket nappy.

I only mention this because I have a couple - and I use it for DS at nighttime - and during the day - I just adjust the stuffing. Plus, its not as expensive ($23). I'm planning on buying more (cos I love em) so can probably spare one of these for you to road test if you like?

Oohhh, the Green Kids sound good!!!

I also found the Haute's ones as well... $25, breathable PUL, one size, with 2 inserts (microfleece)...

Off to look at Green Kids....

No nOT the Hautes. The breathables are, IMO, awful! They make baby feel soooooo unbeelievably wet from all the breathing and wicking. Otherwise they are okay, but they feel wet when they aren't.

Jodie, a good way to go about it is to buy the bare minimal nappies and lots of extra inserts - as the nappy bits themself only take maybe, half an hour to dry... So to do it cheaply you could buy maybe say fifteen of them and then have 2-3 times as many inserts, which are usually less than a third of the price. We have just started doing this and it works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    No nOT the Hautes. The breathables are, IMO, awful! They make baby feel soooooo unbeelievably wet from all the breathing and wicking. Otherwise they are okay, but they feel wet when they aren't.

Oh, bummer!!!

Yeah, I thought i'd buy a lot more (or make!) inserts, and change them frequently, not the whole nappy, and put in two when going out...

Which would be best for this???

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
    THe reality is - kids within the same family CAN have different body shapes. I would suggest side snapper products to you as an option, as side snapping nappies are very adjustable. They adjust waist and legs INDEPENDENTLY. The same MCN Side snappers have suited my bub BOTH when she was a chicken legs, and when she changed into a chubby legged baby. So that flexibility is excellent.

Okay, is that the little snaps on the front of the nappy, not just the velcro band around the waist?? I'm such a MCN virgin!!

The Bum Genius has snaps and the velcro....would I get a better fit for all 3 with this maybe?? And just get lots of GOOD inserts??

Actually Happy Heinys have the snaps too....

We use Hautes and I havent really had the problem with the wetness. I think there are two types of Hautes though - "breathable" and "traditional"... so maybe i have the traditional type. I have both snaps and velcro. I personally prefer the velcro as i find it easier to do up, easier to adjust.. unfortunately though Claire is able to undo the velcro now!

We also have Bumwears. They have such cute little patterns on them! I bought one for her maybe a year ago and it never fit that well, but they slightly changed their design since then, and it now has an extra snap to secure it better around the leg. The newer design fits better on Claire. She has really skinny chicken legs.

I find bamboo is good for inserts. Microfibre is als good (and dries quicker than bamboo!) but it seems to leak when it gets squished too much (ie: when it gets sat on during a long car trip).

I think I will need the snaps, as both Za and Kane will probably undo the velcro!!! Green Kids look great, but I'm trying to stay away from ones with covers, as its a pretty big cost with 3!!!

Okay I'm narrowing down my needs....

*AIO or AI2
    * lots of good inserts or material
    * snaps for width and length of nappy to fit all 3
    * good price

So far the ones that fit all are Bum Genius, Bum Wear and Hautes.... (if they dont feel wet!!)

Jodie - Green Kids don't need a cover.

I'll have to go have another look.... I must be mixing them up with another brand... Maybe they dont come with any extra inserts???

I seriously have a headache from the damn computer today, I'm sick of MCN!!!

Yep, they come with no inserts... another $10 for one...But if I make my own, (or mil does!) it is the cheapest nappy!!! They'd be good for Little Girl with the velcro...
    Last edited by Pretty Butterfly; September 24th, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

I justt wanted to mention - the one nappy DS has taken off - was one with snaps. Hasn't pulled off the velcro ones - as yet.

We usually put a pair of pants on him anyway

Righty O, I'm gonna grab a Bum Genius, a Haute and a Green Kids, and use them on my boys. * I think*

I'll get MIL to make some more inserts for me, and I'll see what I like for the boys. Little Girl's will have to wait, but hopefully whatever I stock up on for the boys will be good for her too...
    Ill get my first ones in boys and unisex colours and get pink with the ones that are good on her later...

What should we make the inserts out of, and can I get that at Spotlight???

Jodie - you may want to take a look at the trial pack from green kids - that will give you a day and night nappy - and templates for your own inserts - if you know what i mean?

I LOVE BumGenius!

Green Kids are okay, I find the insert takes ages to dry but I like the opening for the insert the best, no poo can get in like BG. Noah leaks with the GK at night but not BG.

I have a Hautes and I HATE it, after a few washes it got really pilly and old looking, I could probably post you mine if you want it, it is too breathable so there is a wetness factor after an hour or 2. A waste of money IMO, I don't even use it when I run out of my BG and GK, I just put him in sposies until the rest are dry.

With 2 bad responses from the Hautes, I might give them a miss!!!

I might get a trial pack from Bum Genius and Green kids, to give them a fair go...The template for the inserts would be great too!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast