Thread: quick question for the mcn mammas in this forum

Default quick question for the mcn mammas in this forum

quick questions for the mcn mammas in this forum...

best swim nappy
    best going to the shops nappy (easy to fit in change bag)
    best night nappy

i use terry squares part time and after having poo come out the top of a disposable onto my leg figured that i may as well go to full time as the sposies weren't cutting it anymore. and i always forget to buy more!!

i use terry flats at night and at the shops but middle of the night changes with the nappy coming unfolded and trying to stuff flat terries into a changebag ... just thought i might try mcns for these times instead to save hassle. and we're about to start swimming lessons next month so she'll be 4 months old but she's a lightweight 10th percentile so I need a swim nappy that will be small enough around the legs but big enough around her buddha belly.

i would prefer nappies that can be used for a wide range of sizes if possible.

thanks in advance!!

I only have one swim nappy - it's a bummis. Basically just a cover (with a nice print on the outside), but it is quite trim and well fitting (for my boy anyway - he's got chubby legs and slim belly)

For going out I recently got some AIOs. Bumgenius are a really good nappy, i have to say, though they are expensive and all manmade. They are trim and really easy to use and seem to be a pretty good design & fit. The pocket ones I got are also OSFA, so will fit a wide range of sizes. The BBH Magicalls are not so good. Although they're a sized nappy, I don't think the fit is so good. They also have some absorbancy sewn in so take much longer to dry. For younger babies I think the poo leakage could be an issue with the Magicalls, though I do'nt know as DS doesn't do those kinds of poos any more. FWIW we always had the same problem with disposables and when we used them in the past I would put a cover over the top to stop leakage.

I have only used 2 night nappies. The sandman is quite trim and works well... unless DS has a big night on the boob, in which case they just don't cut it. (he's a fairly heavy wetter). The wild child night nappy is great. Quite bulky (i got the Plus) but really holds a lot of wee. These are sized but tend to fit a fairly wide range of babies, i think.

Hope that's helpful

Hmm... ok...

Best swim nappy - I've only got one and its a monkey doodlez one. Its ok. Doesn't stop the pee going through - just the poop.

Best going out nappy (in relation to size)... Bum G's are pretty good in size - can't beat itti bittis for trimness though - they are the slimmest - although, wild child are pretty slim too. When I pack the bag and i'm going out for a while, I'll always take the ittis - or the baby beehinds fitteds - cos they fit both the kids - then I just take a cover in the different sizes. And I always figure, whats the odds of both kids needing two or more changes when out?

Best night nappy - hmm.. for DD I use the baby beehinds bamboo fitted. They fit her really well, aren't too bulky. For DS I use - bubblebubs (good night sleep tight) they are really bulky cos I have to do major stuffing for his major wees, also use sandmans (although not at the moment cos the elastic has gone in them) but the main two i like to use are Snoozywuns and Green Kids. They are both great.

Best swim nappy - Motherease swim nappy. The monkey doodlez is a pullup type which is useless if bubs happens to poop because you get poo smeared everywhere. Most babies don't poop when swimming, usually they do it in the playtime around the pool/beach rather than when they are actually swimming, so for swimming lessons you are probably okay, for general water play you might encounter poop.

The motherease wins hands down for me for these reasons:
    ~ it isn't made with PUL. PUL swim nappies hold the pool water inside and you end up having a heavy swim nappy and when you take it off a gush of liquid. There is no reason for a swim nappy to be waterproof. The motherease is made with a lycra outer and mesh inner.
    ~ it is side snap. the bummi and others is front velcro which is quickly dispensed with by my children.

Best shopping nappy: itti d'lish snap in. You can have one nappy on (which is super trim), and one spare shell and a couple of spare inserts so you don't have to haul 4 or 5 complete nappies around with you. You can simply replace the inner if its not pooped on.

Swim nappy - I actually just use the terry training pants from kmart (they have a foam insert & are just terry undies). DS has been using these since about 7-8months - but they probably would be too big at 4 months.

Shopping nappy - I agree with marcellus that a Bumgenius-style pocket nappy is a good option. I prefer these to a fitted with a cover, because it's all in one & just rolls up like a disposible would. However, I would get a Greenkids Pocket rather than a Bumgenius pocket. They are more absorbant (bamboo insert rather than microfibre) & they are made in Australia - Bumgenius is American. I've had my Greenkids since DS was born - we use them full-time (with some fitted nappies as back-ups) & they are still in great condition. They are OSFA.

I've only used the swim nappies from Kmart, which did the job, but you have to check with some pools as they won't let you in without a disposable (yes closed minded I know....but you just can't win with some).

Shopping, I agree with the Ittibittis, they are my favourite and i have a skinny legged buddha bellied kid and also found Monkay Doodlez AIOs wo work really well. Lots of people don't like them but they worked fantastically for us.

Nights I've only ever used BBHs fitted or Mandy macs. Not a fan of the MMs but they do have a new night nappie which i belive is excellent.

BEST SWIM NAPPY ~ no idea... haven't used one as yet
    BEST GOING OUT NAPPY ~ it doesn't really bother me..i use whatever MCN i throw in our nappy bag....BUT having said that either IB or Baby beehind bamboo fitted & a pul or fleece cover
    BEST NIGHT NAPPY ~ SO far....SANDMAN night nappy BUT soon to be a Maz sweet dreams

Night nappy - if I can give some negative feedback - I haven't had much success with the BBH overnight. They were fine while DS was littler, but now that he is wearing the nappy 12 hours & having a big drink before bed, they just don't cut it!

Ezz - are you talking about the hemp ones ? Cos I only use those ones for short naps - I find the bamboo ones much more absorbent, but also need the extra booster on the outside of the nappy to last DS the night. DD is fine with the two inserts in the nappy, she doesnt' usually need the extra booster.

Gotta tell ya babe...every baby is different so what works well for me might not for you

how big is she in the rise....is she skinny? is she tall?

Best swim nappy - god you can use a cover cause all its really used for it to contain the pooh if it happens.

Best shop nappy? hmmm have no idea what you mean by that cause I tend to take my kids shopping in whatever is of their bum at the time.

Best night nappy - I use Wild Childs, Sandmans, Mirabai's.

If you have questions about sizing...contact the sellers...they will be more then happy to email you back with info

Good luck on your quest

wow thank you thank you thank you! what an awesome response. sounds like i have lots of different options, i really appreciate your advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    Ezz - are you talking about the hemp ones ? Cos I only use those ones for short naps - I find the bamboo ones much more absorbent, but also need the extra booster on the outside of the nappy to last DS the night. DD is fine with the two inserts in the nappy, she doesnt' usually need the extra booster.
    Not hemp - bamboo. I was using a bamboo fitted with both inserts & a booster outside, with a wool cover. DS still leaked through on a regular basis.

Sorry - you had me confused with the BBH - cos thats how i abbreviate the hemp - the bamboo I call the BBB - sorry! lol

Try Snoozywuns -they are fantastic