Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighing up whether to make the switch ...

Default Weighing up whether to make the switch ...

I have a couple of questions for all you cloth nappy experts!!

1) My youngest (almost 3 months) appears to be having a reaction to disposable nappies - it's not nappy rash and it only occurs in one main spot (just under his tummy) - it's like chaffing (or even perhaps a reaction to the gel stuff in the disposables) I only use huggies (have had bad experiences in the past with other brands) and they seem to be deteriorating in quality (like they are purposely trying to make you buy more!)

Ok, so that's not really a question, but this is - what would you recommend? I can see cloth nappies have changed drastically in the past 30 years (like it's not just about a bit of cloth, done up with pins and covered with plastic pants!!) I really have NO IDEA about how they work these days!!

2) My 2nd youngest is showing signs of knowing how to control his bowel and bladder, but has absolutely no interest at all in using the toilet (even with a little insert seat) OR the potty If I started putting him in cloth, would this be more likely to encourage him to use the toilet? He just seems so content to wear a nappy atm, and it's even a struggle to convince him to change his nappy when it's wet or dirty.

3) Some (uneducated) people have suggested to me that using cloth is a false economy, what with all of the washing and what-not (I already do approx 16 loads per week) - to those that have converted, what are your opinions/ experiences?

Thanks!!

OK , first of all the "false economy " point can be argued over and over again , yes it uses water and elec. and all that , but sposies take ages to break down are not breathable and way over priced . There are both pros and cons of each nappy system , its up to YOU to make YOUR decision ..

You are not mad if you choose cloth nor will it take up heaps of your time/care , MCN are so durable and worth their money IF you choose wisely .. .

for the best econmonical i would go for a OSFA Fitted, like BabyBeeHinds the fabirc is hemp or bamboo and are great for bubs with skin sensitivity as they are antibacterial and anti fungal .. and then add a PUL cover (sized ie: sm , md ,Lg ) and you have a system that can get you thruogh 2 kids at the same time ... my newborn and 2 yr old share the same pile of nappies ..

so for around $800 you can nappy 2 kids from birth to toddler , saving you ALOT of money (saving you thousands over the 3 or so years they are in nappies)

IMO you just cant go wrong with fitteds and covers , they are great for overnight as well ..

Sized All in ones/pockets have their place , they are convienitent and keep bub dry (like a sposie ) but cost alot more in the long run because of the sizings. eg 24 nb . 24 sml. 24 med .24 lg (compared to 25-30 fitted nappies , a one off buy and will fit bubs of any shape)

IF you are good at restraning your self , MCN are a great money saving option (with the benefit of being kinder to bubs skin) ... but if you are like a lot of MCN freaks out there , you will get hooked and not be able to help your self , MCN are cute and addictive , you have been warned

Toilet traing and MCN/cloth go hand in hand , if you use a fitted with out a stay dry liner your toddler will be come aware and a bit uncomfy with the wet sensation and in the long run help you with toileting !!

so a sum up , is it worth the switch ??? YEP !! we love it how our grocery bill has come down and we never run out of nappies , and the $40 box of nappies is not just chuked away ....

there will be many more nappy lovers in here to help you out im sure

I agree with everything Lea said - especially about the baby beehinds fitted.

I use one at night for DD and don't have any leaks - and it does her for about 13 hours? I use them during the day for DS.

But I am horribly addicted to MCN's - so have LOTS of different types that I use for different reasons...(ie, nights, daycare, home nappies, after bath before going into night nappy - those kind of things..)

I'm not really thinking about how much money I have spent (and believe me its wayyy more than $800!!) cos I am planning another child - so I will get full value out of my nappies by the time the next one is toilet training!!!!!

Don't know about the toilet training biz - I would imagine it would get them more inclined to do it if they are using a nappy that has the wet feeling (like the baby beehinds) but there are MCN's out there that draw the moisture away just like a disposable.

Let me know if you want me to send you a couple of nappies so you can give them a go.. I'm sure Miss M can spare some.. LOL

OOh and another point - you can always RESELL your nappies that you aren't happy with, or have finished using - so you get some money back that way... can't say that for disposables!!!!

Thanks Lea and Mel

I shudder to think how much money I have spent on disposables (I haven't had a break from nappies/pullups for nearly eight years now!!!! ) At least DD pulled her finger out ALOT earlier than her older brother (who we basically had to bribe at 6 years old to stay dry at night!) - she beat him by about a year and a half!!

So we only have the 2 in nappies (and I'm pretty sure Veygas is getting close to 7kg now) and with DS2 starting preschool next year, he has to be toilet trained (for the most part) before he can go.

So do you just buy them online?

Do you think that 25-30 would cover 2 of them? (considering I wash every day anyway!!)

you can always RESELL your nappies that you aren't happy with, or have finished using - so you get some money back that way... can't say that for disposables!!!!
    Mel!!!! Sure you can, you can sell just about ANYTHING on ebay!!! LOL!!!!

Hi there, sorry to hijack
    What is PUL? I'm occassionaly using terry flats with the PVC pants but I don't like them!

Catherine - PUL is poly laminate or something like that.. pmsl... its better than the old PVC that everyone used to use - PUL is great (for day times anyway, wool or fleece better for night times)

MM - yeah I get mine online - baby beehinds have their own site, and if want to see them in real life, check out if there is a demonstrator near you mate. (But another site has them actually cheaper at the moment - so if you want the name of that online shop, let me know)

Oh, and you don't sell them on ebay - can't sell used nappies on ebay - just new ones or new ones that have only been washed - not used. there is site where you buy 2nd hand nappies - not too bad resale value - I sold 16 of mine one month.

Mel - I was kidding about ebay!! LOL!

Would you say Veygas is size small or medium atm? I have looked at BBH website and the have a trial pack (pity it's only one per customer cause I'd love to try Khaemon in them too! )

You're talking about the AIO's on Baby beehinds?

Ummm... not sure... I don't use them .... umm... I'd say take his measurements and see where he fits in...
    I would say a medium maybe cos I know he's bigger than Miss M..

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by catherinemoses View Post
    Hi there, sorry to hijack
    What is PUL? I'm occassionaly using terry flats with the PVC pants but I don't like them!
    if you google

"PUL"

you get great definitions popping up. if i was allowed to post you a link i would!

PVC covers are all sweaty, crack, break, leak etc
    PUL is streets ahead
    if you have never bought one before, you can get PUL covers with snaps like the Wonderwraps at darlingsdowunder (a one size fits all cover)

or sized aplix closing PUL covers from baby beehinds.
    APLIX is industrial velcro that stands up to the repeated washing that nappies go thru.

other waterproof cover options these days are:

- double layer polar fleece covers
    - maldenmills windpro covers (esp for night)
    - woollies in the shape of a cover, often called SOAKERS. they work by being LANOLISED, you only wash them once a month.

have a look at some big MCN sites, and click on COVERS to find out what's out there
    e.g
    darlingsdownunder
    nurturenappies
    baby blossom
    baby softlandings
    nappy bucket

ozebaby
    wahmnaps
    wahmania
    minicuteture
    these are WAHM sites, mcn made by work at home mums

at the cloth advocacy sites
    ozclothnappies (read the FAQ section especially)
    nappycino
    you'll find great info, and links to free patterns (if you knit or sew), even photo tutorials online, youtube vids, all sorts.

PUL is a fabric that's waterproof but more breathable than PVC. PUL wraps are heaps easier to use than the pull-on fluffies or PVC pants IMO, but they are more expensive - about $15 a pop. Worth it!
    Yup, you buy them online mountain mummy. Baby beehinds (if those are what you're considering) have a website and they do have some packages where you save a little bit of $$. I would think if you are washing a lot then 25-30 would be enough. (Depends on how much they wee and poo!) Personally, I'd go for the bamboo rather than hemp. Heaps more absorbent and softer, but take a little longer to dry.
    Not sure if it will help with the TT... Particularly if he already knows the feeling of being wet and knows what it's about, KWIM?
    But personally, I'm already thrilled with the money I've saved using them, even just part time. I find that it is more work, but worthwhile.

ETA: Whoa, sorry I obviously took ages to write that response! Sorry for the repeat info

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mummy View Post
    I have a couple of questions for all you cloth nappy experts!!

1) My youngest (almost 3 months) appears to be having a reaction to disposable nappies - it's not nappy rash and it only occurs in one main spot (just under his tummy) - it's like chaffing (or even perhaps a reaction to the gel stuff in the disposables) I only use huggies (have had bad experiences in the past with other brands) and they seem to be deteriorating in quality (like they are purposely trying to make you buy more!)

Ok, so that's not really a question, but this is - what would you recommend? I can see cloth nappies have changed drastically in the past 30 years (like it's not just about a bit of cloth, done up with pins and covered with plastic pants!!) I really have NO IDEA about how they work these days!!

2) My 2nd youngest is showing signs of knowing how to control his bowel and bladder, but has absolutely no interest at all in using the toilet (even with a little insert seat) OR the potty If I started putting him in cloth, would this be more likely to encourage him to use the toilet? He just seems so content to wear a nappy atm, and it's even a struggle to convince him to change his nappy when it's wet or dirty.

3) Some (uneducated) people have suggested to me that using cloth is a false economy, what with all of the washing and what-not (I already do approx 16 loads per week) - to those that have converted, what are your opinions/ experiences?

Thanks!!
    on the Nurture Nappies site, click on the INFO link (going across teh top of the page) scroll down to find teh "What is in a disposable" article. it's amazing the scary things that are in sposies. really well worth reading (and printing out to show friends who are anti-cloth).

same amount of water to make a sposie (that is used once and forever in landfill)
    same amoutn of water to wash a MCN (that is used hundreds of times)

Sooooo much water used to MAKE one sposie

Really , with how good modern washing machines are, i really can't see the "extra work" argument.

We have a LITTLE SQUIRT to rinse off the poo off pooey nappies, it makes life so much easier (makes MCN easy for us). we would not be without ours.

People who have not used modern nappies, will come out with lots of outdated statemetns, cos they are basing it on the old style of nappies - cotton, PVC and napisan. They don't know about bamboo, hemp, PUL, washing wihtout napisan etc. its' so different now.

i don't even talk to those people anymore - don't have the energy to deal with their closemindedness. Save your energy for people who are actually interested and positive. it's frustrating i know when you want to try something new, but they come around once they realise it's NOT a phase you're going thru.

i would suggest to you the SIZE 2 type nappies that go from 7 - 16kg like bits for bots and dragonflymagik brands and tots bots. bubs get to 7kg real quick and most are TT-d by 16kg.

Big companies that make sposies are not there for love (that's just the commercials!!). they are into getting you to buy as many sposies as possible, and then con you into buying pullups - which are just sposies repackaged. So they will make $4,000 easily out of you from birth - TT-ing.

You can get cloth trainers for your TT-ing toddler.
    Some have PUL (the waterproofing material) inside the outer e.g blueberries at the wee wuns and baby blossom
    Others are all absorbent material e.g the econix at bongobaby.

Some people put their kids in trainer for day, and in night nappies until child starts waking up with dry nappy overnight. THEN they use night trainers. dunno, we have yet to get to that stage! so all i can do is READ about it LOL.

Has anyone used Peapods? How are they compared to BBH?

oooooohhhhh I'm so confused now!! LOL!

I would say a medium maybe cos I know he's bigger than Miss M..
    Oohh yeah, he's a chubba bubba!! LOL!

OK, looks as though I've got my work cut out for me!!

And thanks for all that info too Gigi!!

MM - I read too much bad stuff about Peapods when I was researching so I don't have any... but they do work for some people - like every brand
    Are you sure you don't want me to send you some types so you can work out whether or not they suit your bub? Makes it cheaper for you anyway if you know what type and what shape, material etc suit your bub.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've definitely got some homework to do. I think I've found what I'll spend some of my $1000 from Mr Rudd on!

Mel, thanks for the offer hun, but with 2 to try to cloth-bum, I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy a couple of starter packs ...

I have a list beside me of a heap of OSFA AIO nappies, I think there might be a couple of OSFA that I have to get sized PUL's (like the baby beehinds) but I can fit both my little men into mediums!! Well in sposies, Veygas is only one size behind Khaemon now anyway!!

Believe it or not, I am REALLY EXCITED about this, and DP is totally behind me with it!!

(hopefully these nappies will come in handy again too IYKWIM!! ) LOL!!

I know DP might freak at initial outlay (might start out P/T cloth and build up a collection!) but I agree now that in the long run, it'll be worth it (especially as last shop, BOTH boys needed nappies!! ) I do believe it will help cut down our grocery bill!!

Yeah I LOVE not having to buy them with the groceries - specially with TWO in them..

What ones are you looking at hon?

Mainly looking at BBH, bumgenius, happy heinys, cushie tushies and mummy's touch. Also wouldn't mind trying itti bittis for veygas ...

there's more on my list (I've had about 12 browser tabs open at once today, reading and comparing etc) but most of the above ones I can get trial packs for, reasonably priced, that I can try out on both of them!!

ETA: Up until recently, I had THREE still in them (well, DD was in night time pull ups, but she wanted to wear undies to bed, so that fixed that!! LOL) DS1 was still in night times til Khaemon was almost 1, so that was nearly a year of 3 lots of nappies then too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast