Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what NOT to do with your MCN's!

Default what NOT to do with your MCN's!

What are some things you shouldnt do to you MCN's to get the best life out of them and keep them in tip top shape?

Ill start,

Do not wash them in fabric softner as i believe they will not absorb aswell.

Do not use barrier creams on baby's bum
    No need to soak them
    No bleach

dont put in the dryer on hot, only low. did it by mistake and now have a very out of shape and scrunchy itti!

hang nappy from side on washing line to not stretch the leg elastic.

use half recommended washing powder on nappies to not wreak the absorbency of them.
    Always put velcro tabs down for the wash so they dont catch on other nappies.

don't leave them anywhere a puppy/dog can get to them... they end up a bit chewed on

Don't accidently chuck in a towel that had been used for hair cutting into your nappy wash. Your nappies will have hundreds of hair particles stuck in them

Ouch Bekz!

Don't put them in a dodgy drier where the snap can get caught and rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    Do not use barrier creams on baby's bum
    ALL barrier creams??? like sudo.. bepanthan etc? DD is a little rashy atm..

what about powders?

I use liners in mine aswell as DD is a huge pooer.. just easier and protects them abit from her poo!

Quote Originally Posted by [M]umma[M]ia View Post
    ALL barrier creams??? like sudo.. bepanthan etc? DD is a little rashy atm..

what about powders?

I use liners in mine aswell as DD is a huge pooer.. just easier and protects them abit from her poo!
    With liners it should be ok. Barrier creams with zinc etc affect absorbancy. Paw paw cream (not red, black I think is best) is probably the best to use.

Oh, umm...do not that hasn't been used yet...Don't use vinegars or bleaches...

Oh & I recently started using just plain bi carb soda to wash mine...nothing else, DS is too sensitive.
    Last edited by ~clover~; August 16th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Don't store them somewhere where clothes moths can eat big holes in them

Yeah, no barrier creams like sudocrem. The paw paw ointment in the black tube is really good, the brand is 'pure neutraceuticals'

i have no input here as we havent started using mcn's just yet, just wanted to say great thread!!!! so many things to keep in mind

Put the fluffy nappies (I think they are called Minkie) in a seperate wash bag thing so they do not put their orange fluff on the other nappies! After washing them again and again the orange fluff has now gone!

Quote Originally Posted by milka View Post
    Put the fluffy nappies (I think they are called Minkie) in a seperate wash bag thing so they do not put their orange fluff on the other nappies! After washing them again and again the orange fluff has now gone!
    Really? Darn! None of my minkee ones have done that! Sure they were minkee?? I hope it was a one off thing & that it doesn't happen again...

Quote Originally Posted by bjrose View Post
    With liners it should be ok. Barrier creams with zinc etc affect absorbancy. Paw paw cream (not red, black I think is best) is probably the best to use.

Oh, umm...do not that hasn't been used yet...Don't use vinegars or bleaches...

Oh & I recently started using just plain bi carb soda to wash mine...nothing else, DS is too sensitive.
    So is bi-carb ok to use with them? For some reason I thought they were bad... or maybe it is just vinegar and bleach that is bad... talk about baby brain!

Yeah, as far as I know, bi carb is the same as washing powder without the brighteners & enzymes etc...
    Vinegar & bleaches will ruin the waterproof lining on the PUL.

1) dont let your DH do the washing unless you have trained him.
    2) dont put brand new red clothes in the same load as the nappies. Even on Cold. See 1) above

3) When 1) above is ignored by your DH, and results in 2) above happening -- Make sure that you catch him before he puts them in the dryer, and have a stash of that runaway stuff for coloured items, in an emergency so that you nice SB OVs and GF A12s have some hope of being salvaged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast