Thread: Dairy? allergy/intollerance & rash

Default Dairy? allergy/intollerance & rash

DD reacted (gut issues/irritability) when she was exclusively breastfed if i ate dairy, but this eased by 4-6months of age. Tried her on dairy couple of times, but got symptoms and so slowed again but by 10 months ish she was ok with small amounts in her diet.

DS has had gut issues (colic/reflux unsettled chucky) since birth, reacted if i ate dairy but this has not eased like it did for DD. I haven't completely cut out dairy but have minimised it, if i have cow milk on cereal he breaks out in rash/eczema plus tummy is more upset.

I knda thought he would just outgrow it, but it seems to be hanging around, and so i need to look at more dairy free options, not just exclusion, for both of us. Tried rice milk and soy milk, both very ordinary, and DS not keen either.

DH was on goat milk until he was 3 or 4 because he couldn't handle cow milk either. He also has asthma/eczema tendencies and i think DS may have inherited these.

We had busy day today doing fire stuff, and so DH just picked up a pasta and sauce from the supermarket for dinner. He didn't think about it, and it was a creamy tomato sauce. DS rash came up almost instantly over his whole body (so not just where the sauce touched him). He seems ok and has had bath, cream on, breastfeed and gone to sleep.

Here is the rash rash (640x480).jpg

Does this look like reaction to dairy? would it be called an allergy or intollerance?

Am i better of to have DS completely dairy free for a couple of months and then try again, or if the reaction to small amounts is only slight is it better to keep small amounts in his diet (e.g. butter on toast or non-dairy free bread)

Does he get any hay fever symptoms with the rash?

I'm not sure if it would be an intolerance or allergy.

I'd think about allergy testing, as if it is an allergy it will probably get worse each time he is exposed.

Default Re: Dairy? allergy/intollerance & rash

That looks uncomfortable. Poor little tyke.
    To me, it looks like an intolerance to.something. But store bought creamy tomatoe sauce... Could be lots in there.

Sorry no real help.

Thanks for your replies.

No hay fever symptoms

It was latina creamy sundried tomato sauce (A tomato based sauce, blended with fresh cream, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil and a pinch of basil), he is ok with tomatoes, so i'm assuming it was the cream. or maybe something in the pasta.

Both the girls allergies presented as hives or a rash if they touched things or swelling when eaten (but not always).

I would take the pic to your GP & get a referral for allergy testing, some kids can get progressively worse.

That's looks like an allergic reaction to me, I'd show your GP
    Xxx

If the rash is widespread, then it's likely to be an allergy, I think.
    If being completely dairy free didn't seem to relieve all symptoms, perhaps there's something else he's reacting to as well? a lot of people who can't handle dairy also can't have soy, for eg.