Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: itchy eyes cause of hay fever or allergic wine?

  1. #1

    Default itchy eyes cause of hay fever or allergic wine?

    Can one be allergic to wine?

    Got itchy eyes and teary too, they say its hay fever but i remember i drunk a wine yesterday and the smell isn't good and the taste too. From then on my eyes became itchy and teary.

    When i got home i took zyrtec and turned on our air purifier running overnight, it gave me a relief cause that's what i usually do when hay ever attacks. I didn't put any eyedrops. Do you think its hay fever or because of the wine?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: itchy eyes cause of hay fever or allergic wine?

    You can get allergic reactions to the sulfites in wine. Dried fruit has more sulfites than wine though so if you're allergic to sulfites you'd also react to dried fruit. Hope you feel better soon!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,222

    Default Re: itchy eyes cause of hay fever or allergic wine?

    There are a couple of sulphite preservatives in wine. They tend to give breathing issues similar to asthma though. Could just be a coincidence?

  4. #4

    Default Re: itchy eyes cause of hay fever or allergic wine?

    I get it ..thanks for your infos.. so its the wine.. i am also convinced. what is this? i have to avoid a lot of things, before i avoid hay fever triggers only, dust, pollen, animal danders and now including wine? its almost the same symptoms with hay fever and got a relief too with the help of an air purifier but of course i took meds too... but there are wines i am not allergic to, like Sauvignon & Shiraz. I have to look into the ingredients of the wine and avoid the sulphite or sulfites you were all saying... good to know this..

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: itchy eyes cause of hay fever or allergic wine?

    Well you don't necessarily need to avoid wine. It could just be a coincidence, as Trillian said. Especially as there are sulphites in (pretty well) all wines and many other foods such as dried fruit have much more sulphites than wine.
    So if you haven't noticed reactions to dried fruit, there's wine you don't react to, and this was a once off reaction after one wine which you said didn't smell or taste good, then this was probably just a once off thing maybe caused by a bad glass of wine or possibly even by something else.
    I wouldn't rush to change anything in your diet yet. Just wait and see if you have any more reactions and maybe keep a note of what you eat/drink so that if you do have another reaction you'll have a better chance of working out what it was.

    Working out allergens is a really tricky business and actually a lot of people avoid much more than they need to. Good luck!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •