Thread: Mozzie bites

Default Mozzie bites

Dd gets a bad reaction to mozzie bites. This happened around this time last year when we had the really wet summer and now again. In the last few days we have noticed her mozzie bites are bad after the rain we have had.

The bite site almost comes up as a welt with a big red area around it and it also gets quite swollen around the area.

I have been giving Dd some Zyrtec liquid form to help and also put bandaids on top of them to stop her scratching at them.

Does anyone else have children who react badly to them or even themselves? Just wondering what else I should do or if there are any creams I should put on?

Calamine lotion does nothing.

some ice might help. might help the itching too. umm..not sure what else...I'm sure there is something you can put on them to make it better but cant think atm...sorry =(

My daughter reacts badly, with large welts that get so itchy she scratches and breaks the skin causing the injury to degrade and more than once to get badly infected. I now treat them with a tiny dab of xylocaine ointment and a bandaid which sooths and numbs the area and gives it a chance to heal without scratching. It works absolute wonders for her. The cream is quite cheap too and the tiny tube has lasted ages as you only need a teensy spot of it.

Default Mozzie bites

We use ice then paraders cream and an antihistamine too. Works a treat for my boys 😊

Default Mozzie bites

That's supposed to read 'paraderm' cream- damn phone!

Default Mozzie bites

DD1 needs to use polaromine when she's bitten by a mozzie. Dermaid might help stop the itching or stingoes

I used to get them badly as a kid and I would react terribly to them into adulthood - the only thing that worked was pregnancy and having kids, so I don't think that's an option for your DD

There are wrist bands that are like those rubbery material with citronella on them to repell mozzies. I also have an electric repeller in the kids room in the power point. The other thing that worked is like a metal clicker thing for the mossie bites (can't think of the name of it right nopw). Check to see if they are ok for kids as I know they weren't recommended in pregnancy but might be ok for a 4yo?

My eldest would react like that to mozzie bites too. I found using an antihistamine helped a lot with the itching and irritation and then some ice for the swelling. But now I use some Soothing Salve from Blissful herbs (Julie Doula makes it and she's an MPM here on BB) and it's brilliant.

Default Mozzie bites

Yes my DD1 comes up in huge welts, too. We use paraderm plus cream - it has an anaesthetic (soothes the itching), an antiinflammatory (calms the redness down) and an antiseptic (so they don't get festy). If she has really been bitten a lot, I might give her a dose of antihistamine, but usually the cream does the trick, calms it down overnight.

Thanks for all the advice girls. I really appreciate it.