Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completely additive free foods for kids! With challenges ;)

Default Re: Completely additive free foods for kids! With challenges ;)

Have been reading all the wisdom in these replies with interest.
    but just thought I'd add that from what I've read, these things can affect behaviour over days or weeks, not only hours.
    So decide what changes you're going to make then stick with them for a few weeks, and THEN reassess behaviour.

I mean yes, the severe reactions can happen same day, but the overall stuff you talk about might take a while.
    The sue dengate/failsafe/fedup stuff is great and has lots of tips on where to start.

good luck with it and much respect to you- many mums just settle for the adhd label and don't put in the hard hard work you are doing figuring all this stuff out.

Im at the point where I'm really not even wanting to bother with christmas.
    Shopping is done, but wrapping hasn't started.
    By the time I finally get dd to sleep at night, im mentally & physically exhausted
    She will just run through the house & flick things of the table, throw her plates/cups etc on the floor, chases the others around with a broom, brush or something else threatening & enjoying them running away & cowering from her.

My day is full of getting her to pick up after herself, picking up after her, breaking up fights & dealing with it the best I can, to the point that I havent cooked a decent meal in almost a week. I haven't showered in 2 days. Its 10.15 at night & she's still awake. I stupidly gave in & let her have a pie, after dd2 had one for dinner. We have 6 or more meltdowns at the fridge a day, with her holding the door open for so long I'm waiting for the bloody thing to blow up!

Every night lately I've become a screaming lunatic because I dont know what the hell else to do, or how to handle it.

I hate what my house looks like, even though I spend hours a day cleaning. I will never have a clean house. Not just because 'kids make mess', but because I'm that mentally screwed every night I have no idea where to start! Its not a tidy up job.

She never leaves my side & in the lead up to christmas there isn't that chance. Mum & dad are gone & everyone else is flat out.

She sleeps after 10pm & is still awake by 8-8.30 every morning. 8pm is bedtime, with everything off at that time. But she can still lie there wide awake for 2 hours or more!

I am trying so hard to get this diet under way, but its a challenge. Definitely worth it, if it works, I just need to learn to deal with the meltdowns. Its hard to say no to an apple, or a strawberry.

She's slowly getting worse & I'm not coping very well alone. Dd1 lost more nail polish today, I've had full bottles of laundry liquid, shampoo etc tipped out, the christmas tree pulled apart & a chux shoved down my shower drain with the bathroom flooded... all in the last 3 days.

All while I was washing up, or hanging out washing. Or doing something else that I can't not do just because she needs 24/7 supervision.

Oh I just need to vent. 10.30 now. I planned to have a shower tonight, maybe even shave my legs. ALONE! Then start wrapping... I'll be up til 2am christmas eve then grumpy christmas day the way we're going :/

Oh Clover, that sounds utterly exhausting. Just reading your description I feel overwhelmed. That your children are clothed and fed... you are doing brilliantly. Let alone to be stretching you poor tired brain to manage Christmas and considering dietary changes. I 100% agree with making long-term, consistent changes to diet, but go easy on yourself in establishing it. It'll take time for you to learn what works and for your kids to adjust to the changes. It sounds like you could use way more help though.
    I have read bits and pieces of your other threads and I think you're about to/considering a move? Do you know what professional and social supports are available where you're going? You can't do this all on your own. No one can. You are, for now, but you deserve a break, some strategies and a big cuddle.
    Here's a virtual one in the meanwhile.

I was moving, but I've decided to stay here for another 12 months. Dd has kind of helped that decision. There's no way I could pack up & travel to NSW completely alone
    I can barely manage a food shop most days.

At the same time there are way more services over east.

I need a break, I just wish it was that easy. The only person I usually have to give me the occasional time out is an auswim instructor & their holiday lessons started yesterday, the day after school finished, & go through to Christmas Eve.

7am dd was awake. With a bottle she's back asleep. Yep, my 3 year old has a bottle. Well, it's a cup, with a lid & watered down milk, but it's a bottle. I'm trying to cut her off it. I've been trying to for about 12 months... But with it she sleeps. Without it she lays awake for hours, or even better, cries, kicks, screams etc til she passes out or I get it for her.

I don't know what, if any other services are available here, but all I get from the health nurse is triple p. She thinks that will make it all better. She won't listen when I tell her it doesn't help. I've tried. She's not understanding what's actually going on. She doesn't have kids of her own & really doesn't get that this is beyond normal.

I might need to find out more about my cousins milk allergy. He was ADHD. No milk/sugar etc. I think the milk was linked to his asthma, rather than behaviour, but it might pay to find out.

It's really hard, yes. You need to marshal yourself, shop and plan, and then start. I found it worked better, also, to make the whole family do it. That way nobody is being singled out. Good luck.

Forgot to mention, that I talked to our butcher. Their mince is additive free! The only things that have additives are the sausages & even then its absolute minimum.

She also said their crumbed meats are additive free, but I might still do my own, just to be sure. Good to know I they are eating good meat though Makes me feel pretty good anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12