Thread: Milks! Help me out! rice/soy/almond/lactose free??

Default Milks! Help me out! rice/soy/almond/lactose free??

DH is starting to think he's lactose intolerant. He has any kind of dairy and bloats terribly and gets really gassy.

DD is heading that way too. But, that's also part of her condition. We try not to let her have dairy.

She loves Continental Noodles, like alfedo or macaroni cheese.

I'm looking for alternatives to cook with.

We usually only have Rev, but I want to move away from that too.

What is the best??
    Soy?
    Almond?
    Rice?
    Lactose Free?

Tips, please!!

Have you thought about trying goats milk?
    We give it to DD who has really bad reactions to cows milk but hers is more a protein issue

Ashton is lactose intolerant and loves Liddells Lactose Free milk. It is a UHF milk. They do also make a cream I think, and have yoghurt varieties, but Ashton doesn't really like them anymore.
    He has Sanitarium Soy Good icecream, and we buy Meadow Lea lactose free margarine.

We have oat milk, it's thicker than rice milk and way less expensive than almond milk. You can also make your own rice or oat milk much cheaper than buying it (although we still by it). What kind of cooking do you do with milk? I make spelt bread in the bread maker with it, I also make my muffins with it, pancakes... ummmm can't think of what else now but whatever I put milk into it works out ok. Oh that's right I have made custard and yoghurt with oat milk a couple of times too. you could also cook with coconut milk/cream if you want something thicker and richer and they are really healthy for you. Regarding soy milk, it would have to be the must unhealthy option, most soy is GMO and it's not the best for hormones especially in a male.

just forgot to add that I have cooked those creamy packet pastas with oat milk and they turn out fine

I second oat milk, I love the stuff!!

Thanks I bought of that Lactose Free milk to try on DH. Going to have a look for some oat milk. Hadn't heard of it... Does it come in 'long life' cartons? How much does it cost?

We are looking for something to give to DD when we slowly take her off formula soon. She's had sips of our milk and it comes through quickly in white chunks, so cows milk is a no-go.

But yes, it would be making things like pancakes, custards, puddings. Basically, anything that says "Milk", replace it with something other than Rev. I'm sick of DH getting bloated and gassy everytime I cook something. It causes him pain, and TBH he really really stinks... And I want DD to eat more of what we do, but it's hard because she can't digest the cows milk very well.

Does 'non-rev' milks taste OK in coffee and tea??

By the sounds of her bowel movements it definately sounds like a lactose issue.

These days there are lactose free youghurt, lactose free cream and margarine, long life and fresh lactose free milk.

A lot of people find that goat's milk is another alternative however as far as I am aware it still contains lactose just is easier than cows milk to digest (Please correct this if I am wrong).

Oat milk is around $2.50 a liter and is in the long life milk aisle, I but vitasoy brand

I have oat milk in my tea and I love it. Its just a matter of personal taste I guess.

I use rice milk in everything. It is naturally quite sweet. It works fine as a replacement in baking. I like almond milk, but it's expensive and has added sugar so I don't buy it. You can get rice milk and oat milk in the aisle with the UHT milks. Some supermarkets also have rice milk in the fridges.

You can make your own rice and oat milks, but not a great idea for your DD in particular as they don't have the same added vitamins as the commercial brands. Yes, you could make sure she was getting calcium through other sources, but easier to have it in the milk.

We use organic soy milk from Aldi and the kids enjoy it both as a drink and on their cereal. It's ok for cooking with, although makes sweet white sauce look a little grey so I tend to add blueberries or cocoa powder to it. Not too high in calcium which is an issue but we make sure he (my son who is allergic to cows milk protein) has access to calcium from other sources such as almonds, broccoli and other leafy greens. Coconut milk is also really good, great for curries and soups.

coconut milk is good too.

you can make milk from most nuts
    brazil nut milk is pretty good as is hazelnut, best to make your own of those though.

We use rice milk for everything as DD1 was intolerant to oats, but I reckon you could use oat milk and rice milk for most things. I use nuttelex to replace butter in all my baking and everything and I use rice milk for most things, I even make my own sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk using rice milk when I need too.

I would also have both tested by your GP for lactose intolerance!!