Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many photos do you take? How many do you print?

Default Re: How many photos do you take? How many do you print?

I actually wish I remembered to take more photos. I feel like this time with the kids so young is slipping by so quickly and I'm going to miss it, and I want to be able to look back on it.

I definitely don't print enough. Any. I've just outlined how photos will go in our house, just need to choose the pics. Our walls are bare right now so we'll be getting some special ones on canvas and others will be interchangeable. I can't wait to actually get them done, I don't know why I've waited so long! After that will be year books for the kids.

It's really hard to pick them!

I have to keep reminding myself that the photos I pick and reject are not actually going to have any significant impact on the future and livelihood forever and ever...

Why do you feel you need to get rid of some? I don't think I could do it! I'd just keep them somewhere separate. But when you're old with lots of time just hanging about, you might want to look back over all of them? Write the most detailed and well illustrated memoir ever?? The kids might want to see them? Or they might become famous and others might be chewing at the bit to find out their history? It becomes a national treasure! Some sort of potential alibi or clue for a crime in amongst them??!! Future generations piecing together your life through photos?

>strange attachment to photos right here<

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    I agree there are some activities that is better to be engaged in (concerts for example, and fireworks (because they are over so quick) you will never capture what you observe) - but also I think sometimes taking photos for me is a good distraction from interfering with what the kids are doing and getting involved (because I love playing) - they need to be left to do their own thing, and at the age they are at I can't just leave them at the park - so the camera gives me something to do, it could be reading a book, but for me it is the camera.
    Ooo I like this. And it is so true.

Lol Jellyfish! It's so easy to get attached to photos, they're a part of our history.

I never get rid of any photos that have been printed, they're all in a box in the office waiting for sorting. But all of those photos are also on the computer and skydrive, so therefore also on our phones and the tablet, and anything else we link up. They're not going anywhere even if the physical ones do.

I do find it hard to pick the best ones to display though, I could cover the entire house in favourites! I saw on tv (Better Homes and Gardens I think) where a photo feature wall was made using tape as frames, pretty tape holding the photos straight onto the wall. I'm considering trying it because it'll be cheap and temporary, but I'm worried it won't turn out well and then I'll have to go buy frames for all the prints.

Is anyone else here the main photographer? DH doesn't take that many photos, and the ones he does take are mostly just of the kids. So I find I don't have that many of me, and I really want more of me and the kids and DH, and I don't want them all posed. But if I'm not taking the photos they don't get taken, so I don't get in them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    Why do you feel you need to get rid of some? I don't think I could do it! I'd just keep them somewhere separate. But when you're old with lots of time just hanging about, you might want to look back over all of them? Write the most detailed and well illustrated memoir ever?? The kids might want to see them? Or they might become famous and others might be chewing at the bit to find out their history? It becomes a national treasure! Some sort of potential alibi or clue for a crime in amongst them??!! Future generations piecing together your life through photos?

>strange attachment to photos right here<
    I also wouldn't get rid of them, what you might pick now as being keeping worthy might not be what you are interested in, in the future. Storage is cheap these days. When I look back at my parents photos - lots of the ones that are most interesting, probably wouldn't have been classed as good photos, some are just a blur - but they bring back memories they are a trigger for remembering.

Within Picasa their is a 'star/favorite' feature - so I tend to just star the ones I really like - so if I only want to see those then can just click 'show starred' lots of the photo organisation apps have something interesting.

Some of my pics I GPS tag, and they are all automatically date tagged - so they are even more useful for reminding of things even if the picture itself is not great.

Because the volume is overwhelming, and dilutes the appreciation of the good ones.

I'd rather have 200 great photos than 200 great, 300 good, 300 ok and 200 blurred, dark, crummy ones.

I am probably the more enthusiastic photographer, but DH takes heaps too.

Between the two of us, we've taken almost 10,000 photos this year. It's just too many. It drowns you ...

Wow, 10,000! We're nowhere near that many.

Being digital, I do delete on the spot if it's no good. Today I took three almost exactly the same. One was perfect, one was blurry and the third DS had his finger in his eye. I don't see the point in having three so similar when really, I get the point with one and the other two aren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by peanutter View Post
    Because the volume is overwhelming, and dilutes the appreciation of the good ones.

I'd rather have 200 great photos than 200 great, 300 good, 300 ok and 200 blurred, dark, crummy ones.

I am probably the more enthusiastic photographer, but DH takes heaps too.

Between the two of us, we've taken almost 10,000 photos this year. It's just too many. It drowns you ...
    I suppose it just depends on how you look at it - I have taken 17,627 photos this year (well maybe I have taken 17 000 and DH has taken 627) according to Picasa - which is above average because in the past 5 years it says 54,543 - but I take alot of burst photos these days so I suspect that is the difference). I would rather spend the time on editing those that I feel worthy, than working out what to cull - but I am not really a photographer - I am a recorder, the photos I like are not really that great photos - but tell some sort of story, they picture something, someone or a moment I feel I would like to remember in the future.

I suspect it might be like either loving or hating vegemite - either you can cope with lots of extraneous photos that might not be great, or too many photos makes you feel like you are drowning.

Google+ has just made me a little movie - of my photos and movie files from this year - it (being some supercomputer somewhere) selects the photos and videos rather than me - and is interesting to see what it pics, some are photos I had completely forgotten. (I only started using it end of October - so is only the last couple of months but still is a nice little montage and mum and dad will love it :-))

Even with those slideshow things, I like to pick them

Organised control freak I am ...

But as long as it works for us each, it's all good

I don't even want to think about how many hours I've spent over the past couple of weeks sorting out the last 3 months of photos ... gah!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12