Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aspergers/Autism/Sensory Integration Chatter #5

After 3 speech therapy sessions, review by a Psychologist and our Paed we have been given a diagnosis of ASD at the grand old age of 2. Certainly clarifies alot for me and times 2 is crazy.

So now onto Centrelink to discuss changing my single careers allowance to which covers both boys to now being eligible for a careers allowance each. Then to add to that all the paperwork that will be needed for Autism Victoria as well.

Oh, and the boys are also getting genetic testing to see if they have a genetic link as they are Fraternal twins. So now everyday will present more challenges and more patience needed by us as a family.

I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time at the moment. We found the finding out period very tough and it was like a grey cloud descended upon us. The recovery stage is much more uplifting. I'd highly recommend getting into recovery to improve the quality of life for your whole family All the best xx

Thank meow,

I think the hardest thing is not just the boys diagnosis but now all the 'extra' stuff I need to think about. They are still quite aways away from getting a placement into a Early Childhood Intervention service so I am having to arrange all the treatments privately and even though we get funding in the meantime until the placements are made it means a lot of time is going to be spent on doing paperwork. Plus I need to consider DD in the whole thing as well, at 3 1/2 all she sees is that her brothers are getting ALOT of attention so I need to find things that will allow time with her as well. Although saying that I am now looking a childcare for the boys 1 day a week to give them some interaction with other children and also mean a whole day of just me and DD.

It is a juggle that's for sure! Having a child with additional takes extra work in paperwork, finding therapies etc but gives you LESS time because you have high needs children! Starting some child care is a great idea. We have found Floortime OT to be fantastic for our whole family. We worked a lot on the sibling interaction and both my son's are equally welcome and neither would have any clue we are actually there just for one of them IYKWIM.

gosh been a while since ive been on belly belly
    my eldest has classic Autism turning 7 soon we are in mainstream (little country school ) full time aide
    going along ok working on social and play skills and his never ending OT issues
    hope everyones week is going ok

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234