Thread: Dyspraxia?

Default Dyspraxia?

I suspect that all these things that I have been battling with DS for years are Dyspraxia.
    Just wondering if there was anyone out there that had gone through the diagnostic procedure for this?

Does anyone have any good info in regard to it?

Thanks
    Meg

I think there is a member who has posted about her DD having it.
    Good luck darl
    Xx

My youngest niece has it. I can ask my sister for more details and info if you wanted

I believe my 8yr old has Dyspraxia. Often spook about it with our OT & she agree's its likely. If you get your self a referral to a good Occupational Therapist that would be the best place to start.

Default Re: Dyspraxia?

Hi DH and I suspect DS2 has dyspraxia.... I am going to speak to the school about it, we have just kind of hit on it. he is actually seeing at OT at school relating to his pencil grip (b4 starting prep) but i see many other signs (unable to plan tasks, frustrated, interacts with kids but doesnt form strong friendships, can basically read already but wont copy or write and freezes about this.. and many other)
    I am keen to hear about experiences with this - i think it is motor and probably mild not verbal... but i would also love some ideas about chgs to parenting styles as we have been quite frustrated with him and i feel terrible, i want to make things easier for him... and know how to assist.
    i am wondering will he need an aide at school? what will lhe be able to do himself and what not? what can i do to make things easier.
    I cant really believe I am writing this to be honest, im really emotonal about it all - partly i want it to be true so i have something concrete to work with but partly i am a bit heartbroken and typically for me i feel awful i havent picked it up properly earlier. who do i see - gp? paed?

MP, I think the GP would be the first call, unless you have a particular paed that you can go straight to? Please don't beat yourself up over not noticing it earlier - it is the sort of thing that most people wouldn't notice until the start of school time unless it was severe, just because some kids do take longer than others to do certain things and it is not a problem until it is a problem.

This is something that is on my radar with A - very uncoordinated, can't do zips/buttons, poor attention, slow speech with long pauses while she searches for the word. I will see how she goes at school next year and take it from there. Not sure if it is an actual problem or if I am just paranoid after already having one kid that has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaPan View Post
    Hi DH and I suspect DS2 has dyspraxia.... I am going to speak to the school about it, we have just kind of hit on it. he is actually seeing at OT at school relating to his pencil grip (b4 starting prep) but i see many other signs (unable to plan tasks, frustrated, interacts with kids but doesnt form strong friendships, can basically read already but wont copy or write and freezes about this.. and many other)
    I am keen to hear about experiences with this - i think it is motor and probably mild not verbal... but i would also love some ideas about chgs to parenting styles as we have been quite frustrated with him and i feel terrible, i want to make things easier for him... and know how to assist.
    i am wondering will he need an aide at school? what will lhe be able to do himself and what not? what can i do to make things easier.
    I cant really believe I am writing this to be honest, im really emotonal about it all - partly i want it to be true so i have something concrete to work with but partly i am a bit heartbroken and typically for me i feel awful i havent picked it up properly earlier. who do i see - gp? paed?
    Definitely go to the GP and get a referral. Some appointments may be covered by Medicare. You could start with a paediatrician, who. Can get testing done across a number of areas. Maybe a OT and a psych widely be a good start.

As for an aide at school. I don't know what state you are in, but he would be unlikely to be eligible for one in victoria with a dyspraxia diagnosis alone. It would have to be very very severe dyspraxia and include verbal difficulties as well as physical.

You are doing the best you can. So be kind to yourself.

yes will make an appt with a gp and also talk to the school and ot. when i referred to an aide i meant a privately funded one, i am very sure he wouldnt qualify for anything funded... i hadn't thought of a psych... i guess i will see what the gp and paed think, i do think it is pretty mild.

An educational psychologist would be able to assess what level he is achieve ing academically and cognitively and provide strategies about his strengths and weaknesses which could help identify areas of strength which will help motivate him for learning, as well as help deal with and manage the frustration and lack of motivation. But yeah. See what the drs say and make a call after that.

Hi- well my DS is now completing grade 2. He still cant draw at all, writing is pretty bad, but OT has been wonderful so much improved. he cant swing on monkey bars and struggles with core muscle strength. Basically he is unfunded as they don't see his dyspraxia as any where near severe enough to warrant funding. we pay for Ot ourselves, which has made a world of difference.

He is actually coping really well with it. He knows to tell others that he has dyspraxia if they say anything to him in regards to why he cannot do some tasks. He also joined Cubs. This has been amazing for him. Cubs is all about giving things a go. And the things that they do there means that he is trying new things all the time. I would love him to go back to gymnastics but he hated it.

I too find myself frustrated with him when he thinks that he cant do things. He gives up so easily. we just have to gently encourage him to keep trying. it usually ends with him in tears, but that's the rules. He has to try.

We also identified that he was a good reader, so we have continued to assist him further develop his reading abilities as it is his strength. That way he knows that there are things that he is really good at, and other things that he needs help with. He too has poor pencil grip. he has a special pencil that he uses and a grippy ruler (they are rom Woolies) to use in the classroom. It is interesting to note that many children with dyspraxia also have ADD or ADHD. it is also severely underdiagnosed as kids are often just labelled 'unco.' Britain has much more information and research, so I have joined some of their forums. They also refer to it as 'Developmental Coordination Disorder.' There is also a dyspraxia Australia facebook page.

He had a full assessment through Krongold at the Monash in Melbourne. They were great. they identified that when he needs to do tests (i.e. Naplan *shudder* ) he should be eligible for additional time. He also went and had a hearing test (mild loss and now has grommets) and an eye test. You need to rule out these things too.

Good luck. I too spent a lot of time in tears worried sick about him for now and the future. But I have now come to terms that it is what it is. I have come full circle with my emotions and now have accepted it, and moving on to ensure that he gets the best assistance that he can. It has also helped that he has had an awesome teacher this year, who has been amazing with him.