Thread: SPD diagnosis

Default SPD diagnosis

DS is 5yo. he has just been diagnosed with SPD. the OT thinks he only has SPD but its been mentioned by a couple of friends who have kids on the spectrum to get DS checked to see if he is on the spectrum too. the OT says that all that DS displays are sensory but my friends think a lot of them are more ASD. I am so confused. he appears a very energetic boy, very tactile mostly

here are some of the things they find are red flags
    - can repeat questions until you answer them
    - very black or white, matter of fact. no grey areas with him
    - at times can be routine based but not overly
    - has meltdowns over small things
    - doesn't understand sarcasm at all

I am so confused. we have a paeds appointment at the end of july but in the meantime I am trying to gather as much information as I can.

for those of you with kids on the spectrum, what behaviours were they exhibiting?

Default Re: SPD diagnosis

Have a look at the fact sheets on the Act Now Monash University website and Amaze (Autism Victoria). Lots of useful information about the symptoms of autism and a good place to start as you'll find (have possibly already found?!) a google search pretty overwhelming.

I have an SPD boy. Remember that Autism is a spectrum disorder so some kids will show every sign while some show none and some are somewhere in between. It is not unusual for a kid to have some autistic traits but not to be diagnosed as having ASD.

Meltdowns over minor things and routines are also symptoms of anxiety which is often comorbid with SPD - apparently the high alert that these kids are always on due to their sensory issues can leave them prone to anxiety. This is where we are at with DS and the more anxious he gets, the more meltdowns we get and the more adherence to his routines and rituals as a means of having some sort of control when he is feeling that he has none.

I wouldn't expect a 5 year old to understand sarcasm, and lots of kids are black and white - often very intelligent kids are.

Good luck with the paeds appointment. Try not to stress about it, it is what it is.

thank you ladies.

its all so confusing and overwhelming. I don't think he is on the spectrum but I have a few friends who are saying yes so I just don't know anymore

its good to know that other kids are the same but in all respect, I kept getting told he was a normal boy doing normal things, only to find out no, he in fact has something going on. its hard to know what is normal anymore.

It isn't easy