Thread: What do you do when funding is gone?

Default What do you do when funding is gone?

Hi everyone.

I have a 4 year old son who was diagnosed over a year ago with classic Autism. He is verbal, but he had no functional speech until recently after a year of intense speech therapy. He now responds to questions and will ask for things umprompted occasionally which is pretty huge! Our problem is after the first term of 2014 our funding will be gone. He still needs a lot more therapy and is still very behind in speech and his fine and gross motor still needs a lot of work. Would it be better long term if we cut his therapy down now to stretch the funding for longer or go full blast now and cut it down to half an hour sessions each week paid for OOP?

which funding is it?
    do you have an Early intervetntion service working with you? they would know the best rout or if there is more funding to apply for. better start is one type of funding that we're in the throws of applying for for Dj - chromosomal deletion

Shows how clueless I am! We have FACHSIA, I've been told that's all that's available. We have an autism advisor, I might give them a ring.

My boys both have ASD. The FaCHSIA funding goes until the age of 7. ECIS is what you may be in which covers until your child enters school but depending on when your DS was diagnosed and how long he was/has been on the waiting list to get a place there is a good chance you never had ECIS funding available and therefore your FaCHSIA funding would be getting used. My boys have been on the waitlist for a placement for almost 12 months.

You should have a FaCHSIA contact point at the Autism 'Service' in your state - in Vic it's Autism Victoria. I would get in touch with them and they can advise you how much of the $12,000 has been used and how it works until the age of 7.

Quote Originally Posted by TaRhLi. View Post
    My boys both have ASD. The FaCHSIA funding goes until the age of 7. ECIS is what you may be in which covers until your child enters school but depending on when your DS was diagnosed and how long he was/has been on the waiting list to get a place there is a good chance you never had ECIS funding available and therefore your FaCHSIA funding would be getting used. My boys have been on the waitlist for a placement for almost 12 months.

You should have a FaCHSIA contact point at the Autism 'Service' in your state - in Vic it's Autism Victoria. I would get in touch with them and they can advise you how much of the $12,000 has been used and how it works until the age of 7.

I'm not eligible for ECIS, I live in Sydney. As far as I'm aware I'm only Eligible for Fachsia and some medicare rebates like mental health care plan

ECIS is the Victoria program (it's state run and funded), so either NSW doesn't have an equivalent or they do but you were never put into the waitlist for that program. Give you Autism Advisor a call as they can tell how much of the funding you have used to date but it finishes at the child's 7th Birthday, so if there is still funding in your account then you will have some money available for the therapies.

Have you accessed support services in relation to your DS being assessed for school readiness and worked with the school he will be going to as the school may be able to get funding to have a Teachers Aide to help your DS while he is at school.

Also investigate your entitlements via Centrelink, do you get a Carers Allowance (you are eligible for Children with Autism) also you may be int he income threshold to be eligible for a Carer's Pension or part pension (depending on other incomes). There is also the Carer Adjustment Payment you can apply for which is a one of grant but needs to be lodged within 2 years of diagnosis. This grant is for families who are eligible for a Carers Allowance but earn too much to get a Carer Pension, but suffer from financial strain due to addition costs outgoing and with you being a primary carer. The grant is up to $10k - I'm in the process of applying for this grant.