Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids chatter #6

Default Baby Led Solids chatter #6

Welcome to the Baby Led Solids (BLS) Information and Discussion Thread. This is a place for sharing your experiences with BLS, and also to ask questions. Please feel free to share your food ideas, successes, and challenges with BLS.

What is BLS?
    BLS is also known as Baby Led Weaning or Infant Led Weaning. It is way of introducing solids. Instead of starting with pureed foods, it involves starting with finger foods. Traditionally purees were introduced as a first food, as babies were starting solids at 3 months or so. Now the recommendation is to start solids at 6 months, and by this age babies are capable of feeding themselves finger foods.

Interestingly, many parents naturally follow the BLS method with second and subsequent children. Physiologically, it has been shown that choking is less likely when a child is feeding themselves at this age, rather than having a spoon of food put in their mouths.

Why use BLS?

The many benefits include:
    Less mess
    Easier and less time-consuming, as food doesn?t need to be pureed or spoon-fed
    Children enjoy feeding themselves, and it is good for their development to do so
    Exposure to a great variety of tastes and textures earlier
    Children are eating adult foods sooner, so that the whole family can eat the same meal

Your previous thread can be found HERE

woo hoo, new thread!!

DS ate a bit more today which is good

We're trying to get him to have lots of veggies at the moment, and not too much fruit, because he seems to get a super sweet tooth whenever we up the sweets ... others find this too?

Yeah we did. DD is much more in favour of fruit then vegies most of the time. But she will go through phases of loving all vegies and then only eating peas but fruit seems to remain consistant, loves it anytime

Breastmilk is pretty sweet so it's not surprising that bubs like fruit (that are often sweet). My DD is loving oranges and mandarin atm.

DD has a few teeth coming through and a runny nose (maybe related) and is not eating that much this week.

She was excited this morning to have left over roast potato for dinner though!

how do you do the oranges..just quarter/eighth them style? or peel and segment them?.....tried them with connor and he is not a big fan....we call him our champagne baby at the moment cos flavour of the month is bananas......friggin riggin......if h won't eat anything else he'll always have a banana.....I swear we're gonna have to declare bankruptcy it's costing so much!!

good question re the oranges... we haven't tried 'em yet, but yeah, we're missing those bananas!

we give DS segments, but I sometimes take the "skin" of the segment off one side, as he only recently got his teeth and can't always split the segment open.

Or we just do eighths, and leave the peel on. Because they're cut, the skin of the segments isn't an issue, as he can get to the flesh

Jman is loving peas and corn at the moment, but he's got a weird habit of picking up whatever, and then instead of using his pincer grip, he'll curl his fingers around, so the food is clutched or (with peas, corn, etc) goes onto the fleshy part of his hand, and he'll eat it off there ... is that odd?

nah connor does that too...spesh with banana...smooshes it into his palm makes a big deal of inspecting it all and the smooshes it into his mouth!!

our little miss seems to be only loving the carbs ATM - bread, porridge, potato, rusks, crackers/biscuits, though i am putting avo on the crackers and EBM and sometimes fruit in the porridge. She seems to be giving vegies a wide birth!

We leave the skin on the oranges as well....

DD is enjoying throwing her food off the table at the moment, very annoying but also cute when she leans over the side to see where it went and then waves to it. I have to hide my giggles She's teething her 2 front teeth and they look scarily massive coming through but it really does seem to have halted her eating. DH made her some mash potato tonight and she ate this and some yoghurt but threw her baby corn on the floor and this morning only ate half of her toast.

Anyone else notice a drop of interest in food during teething? What foods can I give her BLS style that would be a bit better for her during this time? I actually ended up spoon feeding her a bit of potato and yoghurt tonight and she accepted it happily enough while at the same time grabbing the spoon off me occasionally and feeding herself. She kept handing it back to me though so I think she was just being lazy tonight,

Starangelk I noticed DD was keen on cold things during teething, so things like strawberries, grapes and plums cold from the fridge. She's got her top 2 and bottom 2, looks so cute!

I find that we still don't always give DD the same things we eat, but we do always let her feed herself. She's not keen on eating sloppy things with her hands, so yoghurt I load the spoon for her. Not keen on mash. Also couldn't eat rice either as she couldn't pick it up. She loves brown bread with cream cheese or avo but I worry that it's too much if she has this every day. Though at the moment she has a cold and is off her milk so I'm just happy for her to eat something.

Thanks Mrs P, that makes sense actually as she is loving orange and grapes straight from the fridge.......interesting.

yeah we found cold food great for teething too...even to the point of steaming up the carrots and broccoli and then sticking it in the freezer for a bit....he would suck on the broccoli heads and carrot sticks then....grapes, watermelon, cantelope were all hits for teething...well they're still hits but you get my drift.

I'm having a really hard time with DD at the moment coz she's not really good at picking food up so I'm finding myself feeding her she will eat purees but will eat bikkies and rusks and toast any suggestions also we don't have a high chair for her yet so maybe that will help

Actually speaking of cold food, DD doesn't really like anything warm. We always cool things like pasta, meat or veg in the freezer but she won't eat it if it's still warm. She'll pick it up and then throw it away!

Triplej maybe a highchair would help? We have the ikea one it's great and so cheap and easy to clean. We have another highchair that is more padded but it's a nightmare to clean, especially doing BLS, plus it's a bit big for her so she looks tiny in it.

Update on where we're at just now.

I took DD to the Dr the other day for a check up on her throat infection. The Dr did a random weigh on her and she's lost 500g in the past month (she was weighed the day we did her immunisations). She's worried that DD may have coeliacs (from some of the symptoms that she's been having). I've explained to her that DD isn't a huge eater and still has at least 2 hourly breast feeds and she said even with that, she should still be gaining slowly. She's gone from being just over the 75th percentile to just over the 10th percentile which is worrying.

I just hope the weight loss is a combination of DD being sick with her throat infection and the fact that she's on the move now - she never bloody stops. I've to keep with the BLS..... BUT I also have to help her as well. Thank god DD can use a spoon for herself. She's accepting of the help which is good and we've definitely getting more food into her - DD actually hands me her spoon to help her as she's been getting frustrated with her food falling off.

We've to go back in a month to the Dr and if she's gained good weight then all will be fine. If she hasn't then she'll be tested for coeliacs. *sobs* My poor baby!!

So that's where we're at. Keep your fingers crossed for me that she doesn't have coeliacs.

Mumma Sue - I am really going to keep my fingers crossed for you hun. I have coeliac disease and was diagnosed as a baby. Back in those days it was much much more uncommon and hard to diagnose, especially as a child. We are being very careful with DD in case she also has it and have really only just started introducing gluten into her diet in the last couple of weeks. Please let us know how you go.............if your DD does have this, I have a heap of information I can share with you including recipes and tips. Xx

The whole weight thing is a worry isn't it. DH took DD to be weighed on Friday and it was her first real weigh in since 6 months. She's been growing well and chubbing up a bit and I guess we were procrastinating because we have a GF who's child was referred to a pead for weight issues and that probably freaked me a bit. So I was just weighing DD on our home scales and not worrying about the number as I realise that is not right but just making sure it went up. Anyway, she is 8.2kg at 11 months which is between the 10th - 25th percentile mark on the sheet. The MCHN said not to worry at all, DD looks fine and we are not large people so it's likely she will always be fairly petite. Plus her head and height are averageish and developmental milestones are good. So we were happy BUT I can't understand how gp's/mchn's decide which babies weight is a concern and which babies weight is not a concern................any ideas? Sorry, probably off topic there.

Back on topic. Over the weekend I started trying the fork and DD loved it. I have to load it for her (same as the spoon) but she has a really good idea of which end goes in her mouth with probably a 90% success rate. I was so proud of her. Her teeth have now cut through, I can feel them but she is still preferring soft and cooler foods which is fine. I am just giving her whatever she wants to eat at the moment while she isn't 100%. Yesterday for lunch I have her food and part of it was a piece of GF bread with pate on it and she licked the pate off and handed the bread back to me so she ended up having lots of pate for lunch. LOL. My DD with the expensive taste!! THen for dinner, my Dad brought over these fishcakes he had made with this lemon mayonaise dressing and she pretty much just licked the dressing off everything and loved it. So I fed her the dressing with a spoon instead of her yoghurt. Parenting fail? It's debatable..................the fail is the types of food she's eating but the win is despite her fussiness with her teeth, she IS eating.

I know what you mean with the expensive taste ... J-man loves olives, feta, prawns, etc ... banana at the moment goes in that category too!

yesterday he got some lasagne and he completely inhaled it! I'm thinking about getting brown pasta for the bakes I make - is it much healthier, or is that just marketing and spin?

I think he's about to cut his top teeth - we've had some rough nights lately, when he just hasn't wanted to go to sleep!

Q: when do you girls start to use plates and bowls, as opposed to putting stuff straight on their trays?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast