Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids chatter #6

We've been using plates and bowls from the start - so 6 months. DD needs to have the same as us or she won't eat anything.

We use a bowl for dinner but for all other meals it's straight off the tray. I guess we really should start using a plate but she's annoying wanting to lift it up and play that game so I just figure it's easier to use the tray.......

we're using an unbelieveabowl (Heinz) which i've found to be the only suction bowl I've ever encountered that works. So saying, maybe she'll manage to rip it off when she's a bit older/bigger/stronger.

Has anyone got any good recipes for finger foods with egg in them? My DS is allergic to egg, so we're keen to introduce egg to DD asap (yeah, that's a fun practical problem - how to give it to the baby when the toddler is in the room ). But having avoided egg like the plague, I'm not really sure what to make her. I was thinking some kinda slice that I could hopefully freeze then give her a bit of it each day.

Hey Belfie - I make quite a few egg things as DD loves eggs. I make this frittata which is just eggs, a bit of stock, vegetables and some milk and I freeze that. I also make muffins, my latest batch is risotto muffins (because we had left overs) and I just whipped up the risotto until it got gluggy and then added eggs and some frozen spinach and baked them and they came out tasting lovely!

Just one thing, I think when introducing eggs you are supposed to do whites first and yolk later? I did do this and just made omelettes for a while for her until I was confident giving her eggs. These days one of her fave meals is a fried egg - LOL

we just give DS egg! boiled, scrambled, fried, whatever. works fine for him.

one thing I've seen is a zuchinni fritata which looks great, and also a quiche without crust, just with chunks of sweet potato and cubes of cheese with the egg. was great! and DS managed fine

GL!

Hello, hope you don't mind me joining in here

starangelk - I didn't know that about eggs, I have given DS eggs whites, yolks and all, twice now. He seems ok, but I'm not really sure what to look out for.

Belfie - good idea about a slice type thing, I might do that too. I'm trying to find simple recipes I can freeze. Zucchini slice is very easy - grated zuchini (and any other vegies, corn, peas grated carrot), some beaten eggs with a bit of milk and cheese, usually add salt but I would leave that out, baked in the oven (sorry I don't have specifics, probably 180 degrees until it looks ready), you can then cut it up and freeze it.

I have a little boy who just loves banana too. He is eating a half a big banana for breakfast every morning with some natural yoghurt. I usually give him a quarter of the banana to eat, and squash the rest up with the yoghurt. At the moment I am feeding that to him but I do want to give him control of the spoon, I just don't think he has good enough hand control to get the right end in his mouth himself yet. I give him a spoon to hold with food in it, but the food usually ends up in his eye or on the table. Sloppy stuff like yoghurt just doesn't go in his mouth yet. I hold the spoon in front of him and he moves forward and opens his mouth for it. If he doesn't do that I put the spoon down. Is that kind of BLS?

Dinner times I do the same, give him brocolli and some toast with avocado or something to feed himself with, and also offer some squashed vegies on a spoon. Gradually I'll stop with the spoon when he is better at doing it himself.

Does anyone have any ideas of simple recipes with basic ingredients for finger food? pasta bakes or something similar?

Hi Bec and welcome

The whole spoon feeding thing isn't really the way BLS works but I know some people do a combination. I guess we do it a bit but try very hard not to and to be honest, DD barely lets us even if we tried. You'd be surprised at how quickly babies work out which end of the spoon has the yummy stuff on it! With the yoghurt and sloppiness of it, we buy Jalna natural yoghurt and find that this is quite thick and DD often starts eating it with her fingers before we can load her spoon and pass that to her. It's all very messy

Finger foods, no recipes from me because I don't really use them - I just make things up in my head but pretty much we feed DD anything we eat. SO if I am having a muffin, I'll cut one up into quarters and give her a quarter and for out and about finger foods I do sticks of cheese, dried fruit and I also make omelette and cut it into fist sized pieces.

Enjoy It's such a wonderful time.

thanks starangelk, I might try Jalna yoghurt. I have been giving him the yoghurt I eat, a natural organic one which is a bit runny, I remember the Jalna being really thick so I'll see if I can get that here

Quote Originally Posted by bec293 View Post
    I have a little boy who just loves banana too. He is eating a half a big banana for breakfast every morning with some natural yoghurt. I usually give him a quarter of the banana to eat, and squash the rest up with the yoghurt. At the moment I am feeding that to him but I do want to give him control of the spoon, I just don't think he has good enough hand control to get the right end in his mouth himself yet. I give him a spoon to hold with food in it, but the food usually ends up in his eye or on the table. Sloppy stuff like yoghurt just doesn't go in his mouth yet. I hold the spoon in front of him and he moves forward and opens his mouth for it. If he doesn't do that I put the spoon down. Is that kind of BLS?
    My little one can eat all sorts of 'spoon-foods' just with her hands. Yogurt she loves and just dips her fingers and then sucks it off. She is 13 months now and also uses a spoon and does half-half of spoon eating and finger eating. See what happens if you just let bub play in the yogurt, he might work out his own method for getting it to his mouth.

An important part of BLS is to let bub decide when they have had enough. If you are controlling the spoon, it can be tempting to say 'one more spoon', when bub would have stopped themself. It's part of them learning when they are full or comfortable with what they have eaten. If you do want to spoon feed, just pay attention to baby s cues and let him tell you if he wants more.

I never spoon fed bub in the first 5 or 6 months but sometimes give her some help now because she hands me the spoon, and i know that she will tell me when she has had enough. My LO is quite clear in what she wants to eat and how much and i think this is partly (mainly??) due to BFing and BLS and being able to decide for herself.

Thanks HotI. Might try letting him play with it but have to get new yoghurt first, this stuff is soooo runny, little thicker than milk so it would take him 2 hours. I ALWAYS follow his lead with everything I do. With feeding him yoghurt, he closes his mouth when he has had enough, turns his head away and starts playing with the food in front of him. Like your bub, he is very clear as to what he wants and how much. I would never make him have more than he wants. I really have to watch my mum when she is here, even if he opens his mouth to talk she will put food in. Makes me so angry!

We're getting there! Tonight after his dinner (which he ate himself as usual) I gave him the spoon for pureed apple and pear (I have a heap of pureed fruit in the freezer, just using it up) and he knew exactly what to do with it.. straight in his mouth. I had two spoons going, I loaded one up while he held the other. Only problem was the fruit was falling off before he got it to his mouth so he was getting very frustrated as all he wanted was to eat it. I had to help him in the end, just held the spoon upright and he lunged forward to eat from it.

Belfie - I tried the vegie/egg baked slice I posted about, Isaac loves it. What I ended up doing was grated carrot, broccoli and cauliflower pieces, peas, cooked pasta, 3 eggs and a bit of milk and some grated cheese, baked for about half an hour in two dishes. It sliced up really nicely after being in the fridge and I gave it to him cold today.

Another thing he loved today was hummus on toast! I had a heap of chickpeas left over from soaking too many for a curry so I made a hummus (kind of, more like a chickpea dip really) and I was so surprised he actually liked it.. he has been a bit fussy so far with a very sweet tooth so this is a big thing for him

Quote Originally Posted by bec293 View Post
    thanks starangelk, I might try Jalna yoghurt. I have been giving him the yoghurt I eat, a natural organic one which is a bit runny, I remember the Jalna being really thick so I'll see if I can get that here
    Bec, we buy (or I should say bought, before we discovered DD's dairy intollerance) an organic yoghurt which is quite thick... I can't remember the name but they sell it in woolies and Coles and it is in a clear pot with a green lid. They have quite a few varieties and it's usually next to the jalna on the shelf.

Thanks Swoop, I don't shop at the big supermarkets but I found a nice thick natural yoghurt at the local shop here. It's not organic though, but it seems to be the best I can do for now (they don't even have Jalna). And it stays on the spoon, yay!

Woo hoo that's great Bec! I must say I was so surprised with Annika, she has been so happy using a spoon herself from the very first second I put one in front of her. She hates it if I hold it, but she's happy as larry when she has control. I haven't tried the slice yet (keep meaning too) but have just ended up doing scrambled egg which i cut into soldiers - and no reaction yippee yippee yay. I was going to go separate whites & yolks but in the end I decided to just do it.

I'm getting better at just giving her what we're eating. The other night we had a roast and she was SO happy with the selection of veggies & a big hunk of lamb meat. She sat there for an HOUR just happily exploring her bowl of stuff long after we'd all finished. She was so content I just left her there. I still can't believe how wonderfully she's eating. It's so lovely and enjoyable for her and me! Her dexterity picking stuff up is great too. Today she had some kiwi fruit (and it wasn't super ripe - so a smidge sour). She made a huge face at first bite, but then happily went back for me. It was as if she just had to learn that taste then she was still curious to experience it again.

Belfie, that's awesome about the egg! What reactions do you look for? I don't really know about allergies, will it be obvious if Isaac has an allergy to something? That's so great she's good at eating.

Isaac is getting better, more interested, and plays more with the food for longer than he used to. He has never really eaten much but is eating more and more every day. Tonight he had hummus on toast (loved it), some carrot and cauliflower. He didn't touch the carrot (never does), I might try and cook it a different way. It was quite funny today, my mum (who doesn't really 'get' BLS and tries to feed him) came over while Isaac was sitting happily in his high chair with a huge mess of food and a water cup in front him. She then told me how her visitors staying for the week "still" spoon feed their one year old, she seemed amazed and then said, and just look at Isaac! Feeding himself at this age! And drinking out of a cup! He is so clever. Haha I think she is coming around to the idea finally...

Bec - try roasted carrots, my DD much prefers them to steamed/microwaved ones. Same for pumpkin

Hi ladies,

my DD seems to not be eating much - she really should be eating more than she is. SHe will taste, and then more often than not, throw it on the floor. I have found things that she likes, and then she will surprise me and eat it, but then I try it again another day, and she doesn't want it anymore. I don't want to force food into her, but she would be lucky to even eat a teaspoon full at each meal.
    she is not thin though - doing very well off mumma's milk, she just needs to be eating more than she is.
    any suggestions appreciated!

Milly5

My LO was only taking in tiny amounts at 8 months, some kids just take abit longer. Keep offering, but try to not to stress too much.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast