Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids chatter #6

I agree with hoti, I think some kids take a bit longer to eat. Your dd sounds like she is having a great time tasting which is fab so she still needs to learn that eating will satisfy hunger. My dd has her not eating days too and sometimes she will taste and throw her meals too. We found giving her yoghurt after dinner just in the same bowl as her other food sort of re-ignited her interest in
    It and shed try it again

Same as starangelk we also find DD will go back to the savoury foods after we offer some yoghurt or fruit. So often I will offer those when she seems to have lost interest, and then she alternates fruit/pasta/fruit/pasta etc. Very funny to watch! Your LO will still be getting plenty of goodness from BFing

I think it's funny how DD likes to eat the yoghurt and then mix whatever is left in her bowl into some sort of stew/soup consistency and try and attack it with her spoon

DS still hasn't quite got the hang of the good ol' spoon ... he'll get there

My DD also hasn't got the hang of the spoon yet. If we load it she can get it to her mouth and eat but if we just give it to her she makes stabbing motions with it towards the bowl and then licks the spoon as if there was something on there anyway LOL

I'm getting a bit worried we are giving her too much sugar. This morning she ate almost a whole hot cross bun (woolworths are still selling them can you believe) and then some mandarin. So I tried to give her some vegemite on toast but she threw it on the floor, then DH tried some jam on toast and she ate it all up. Hmmmm

Hi everyone, its been awhile since I was in, actually wasn't getting email updates, oops.

Hope everyone's bubba's have been learning well. DD2 is now 16 months and eats like a trooper. She has finally learnt to spoon feed herself properly and loves eating with a spoon or fork now. People are still amazed at the skills she eats with and the variety that she loves. Her second day at day care they actually thought I had accidentally given her the wrong lunch, it was only a tuna and salad sandwich, but they are very much used to jam or vegemite, or jars with the other children. And they are very much impressed with how much different foods she eats.

It's just so convenient. Now that DS has started on milk and we're slowing down his formula, when we go out to eat we don't even need to pack food really, other than some cruskits in the car. Yesterday, we just bought him eggs on toast with tomato and a hash brown, and he was fine

messy, but fine!

I've got to say, I love the showing off factor of BLS. LOL

me too star she ate vegies the other night at my mums and she was impressed

jazzy had tuna casserole tonite feeding herself as i type i hope giving her milk is ok does anyone know

Joshua is fine with milk

Hi all, I'm new in here. My DS is 7.5 months and not very interested in food. He hates pur?e so I'm going down the BLS path but I'm just wondering what foods you gave your little ones early on? So far we just do toast with avocado, steamed veggies, soft pear etc. He doesn't seem to eat much, more just plays and spits it out. He's bf and still wakes once or twice a night for feeds, so I'm keen for him to eat a bit more to hopefully sleep a bit more! Is it normal for them to not actually eat much at this age? My older DS was a guts and ate everything so this fussiness is all new to me! Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks girls x

Hi Kelly!
    Those were all foods we started with too. You can also try giving him a spoon of yogurt (try Jalna or Mundella) to feed himself with. So load the spoon and pass it to him. Or let him try it from the bowl with his hands!
    At 7.5 months he might also like pasta eg penne or spirals.
    Our DD is a great eater and she caught onto BLS very quickly. But I know other girls who post in here have bubs that go up and down with their eating, so hopefully someone else can give you some advice.

TJ - Milk is fine as long as there is no allergy or intolerance and it isn't their main source of nutrition. Just think of it as a serve of calcium, it could be cheese or yoghurt, but instead it is milk.

KC - Sounds like good foods to start with. Just try to remember that it isn't important how much they eat until after they are 1. Food is for fun until they are 1!! Up until that point while they are BF (or FF) then they are getting the nutrition they need and it is all about experimenting with as many different tastes and textures as possible. My DS was a great eater from the word go but DD took a little longer to catch on. They are all different, just like when they learn to walk or talk!! Just follow his lead and it will be just perfect for him!!

everyone! I've been MIA for a long time, but I'm back, so thought I'd pop back in here and join the party!

hi MT!! welcome back

hi, kelly!

we give DS basically anything unprocessed. breads, veggies, fruits (though we avoid the really sweet ones, in the hope that he won't get too sweet a tooth!), pasta, plain yoghurt, meat, cheese, etc. whatever!

but we definately found that there was more playing than eating for the first while. but we tryed to make sure that we didn't stress over it ... the puppies were pretty spoiled eating the left overs for the first couple of months

Hi Kelly - we're trying BLS too, and I've tried to stick with sharing our meals with DD as much as possible. I found that she loves some veggies more when they're roasted (especially carrot & zucchini is good too), and also loves toast, baby corn spears are great, watermelon, banana (ha!), pear, orange, broccoli, scrambled egg (cut into fingers) etc. I also give her baby mum mums. To start with I think I was very conscious of giving her "softer" stuff, and she did do some gags to start with. Now she doesn't gag at all & just chomps away on everything! And I'm getting much more confident with her food. She also loves yoghurt and from the first second it was offered, grabbed the loaded spoon from the bowl & shoved it in her mouth! I was gobsmacked! Now I just have two loaded spoons in the bowl for her and she does the rest herself. She also has been trying to load them herself, whcih I didn't expect to see her doing at 8mths old! I think when we give them the opportunity to show us, it's amazing what they can do. And might I mention.. thoroughly enjoyable!

TripleJ - my DS has allergies, so i've been watching very closely everything I give to my DD and also trying to introduce foods earlier as research is showing that it's more beneficial to do that, than to delay introduction. So my DD has had plenty of dairy within products whilst not actually drinking milk. I'd be quite ok giving her something with some milk in it (in fact I think I already have). So saying, she's also had a wide range of nuts and eggs too (my DS's allergens), so as you can see, I'm going with a very inclusive approach .

starangelelk - your comment re the showing off factor... aaah yes! I feel ya!

we've tried and tried with loaded spoons, but DS will for neither love or money put the loaded spoon in his mouth ... the spoon, absolutely. after twisting it so everything falls off. and then picking up the food, and shoving it in!

We're getting lots of comments on spoon skills too, and yep I love the fact she is eating such a variety. She sat down and ate most of a whole apple the other day, skin and all. Now at dinner time DD refuses to start eating until she has been given her fork, she will literally just sit there are wait to start until she's given it. The fact she picks it up in one hand and then starts eating with her other hand doesn't matter lol After a few bites she tries to do it herself or hands it to us to load for her.

Hi Kelly, my bub was not really interested in eating for quite a while. He just preferred to play with it, but now there's no stopping him (most days anyway). He still loves to play, but also loves choosing different pieces to put in his mouth and actually eat.

DS is getting much better with the spoon! We use two at once, I load one up for him, while he is putting it in his mouth I load another one. I also found a very thick natural yoghurt, so no more problems there

I can't remember who suggested I try roasted pumpkin and carrot, but thank you! He absolutely loved it.

I'm going overseas soon and just stressing slightly about food while travelling. I was thinking I might have to resort to buying some of that pre-packed baby food for the flight days, has anyone used this before? Are there any natural ones you can get? I don't really want to buy baby food, so any ideas on what kinds of non-messy food I can keep in my handbag for him? How do you do BLS in a restaurant or public place?? I've given him food at the park and at a cafe, just toast with soup or just dried bread, but I can't just give him bread the entire time I'm away. I would love for him to try noodles and rice and vegie stir fries, but I'd feel awful leaving a mess, and I don't want to do lots of clothes changes either.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast