Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby-led Solids Chatter #7

Default Baby-led Solids Chatter #7

The first few times I gave food to my girl twin she gagged and then had big chucks. She had been a refluxy baby so I don't know if it was associated with that.. I took it easy for a few weeks and she seems fine now.

How are you serving the banana? My two seem to find it difficult to grip...

Default Re: Baby-led Solids Chatter #7

What food have you tried her on so far ?
    I just get a whole banana and break in in half and give her the two pieces , after a while she may drop some if it falls into smaller bits but I just give it all back to her haha until she is done with it

Oh tons now - Chicken, beef, pork, tomato, corn kernels, hokkien noodles was dinner tonight, avacado, cheese, yoghurt, tuna, chips (oops ), cucumber, beans. I tried partially peeling the banana to allow a grip at the bottom but they both seem useless at it! . Will give it another go soon.

What are you using for out and about foods that aren't too messy?

anyone around? my little boy is 6 mths, actually he's nearly 7 mths but I'm in denial that he is growing so quickly...

we started at just over 6 mths with some steamed carrot, avocado & a lamb chop to suck on - he loved it! since then we've had a range of fruit & veg, with brocoli & avocado being favourites. it's a messy process but fun to watch him try different things. wasn't sure about how much he was actually eating, but his nappies tell a different story... : )

I'm here. I found the first few months are much messier then spoon feeding, but they are cleaner and quicker in the later years with spoons and self feeding. Twins have enjoyed lately boiled egg, cantaloupe, corn on the cob (huge hit!), and beans. What have you been using for out and about foods?

hi dollyroux : )

my little boy has had porridge & did quite well at getting the spoon in his mouth by himself. I was hoping that it may mean easier self feeding later, so good to hear that was your experience.

when I've been out & about I've just given him something off my plate. dh & I had lunch out on the w/end & we gave him a piece of pita bread & a piece of lamb. he sucked & gnawed at those for at least 20 mins. but we are just a couple of weeks in, so he's happy with small amounts atm.

not sure about packing snacks though... I guess fruit?! cheese?! guess I will have to start thinking about this too. we are only doing 2 meals a day atm, and tidbits here & there if I happen to be eating when he's awake.

crumbed salmon patties last night. as expected, they were squished in hands/tray & most ended up on floor. his favourite, broccoli, barely got a mention either. I think his gums are annoying him atm though. he's definately discovering the drop/retrieve thing lately... porridge this morning was an endless game of loading spoon, passing to him, him popping in to his mouth, then dropping spoon off the side of highchair. kind of cute bc then he would lean over & chew side of highchair while looking at the floor. : )

dollyroux - how's the snacks thing going?

They're 10mo now so I'm a little more confident in giving them bread/toast (I'm always wary about bread creating a ball in their mouth) so I've been using cold grilled cheese on toast, apple slices, chicken legs,
    Baby mumum biscuits (gosh they end up as a gluey mess!) ...or
    Whatever I'm having. I really can't remember what I gave my 4yo as snacks so ideas helpful! Glad to hear it's going well, mess and all!

hey dollyroux (and anyone else reading...), how & when did you introduce cheese? just cut a stick off a block and let them gum/suck at it? grate it? just wondering if 7.5 months is too early, seems like a hard food (texture wise) to give atm. maybe grilled on toast like you mentioned you did for your girls... I know they're older bit my little guy has avocado on toast atm & seems to like it.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Andie I did the softer triangle cheese to start... Laughing cow? Probably not the healthiest choice but the texture and shape allowed her to pick it up and bite bits off. Started those at 10 months, DD isn't a great eater though!

thanks, joeve. hadn't really thought of that soft cheese, I'll check it out. : )

Andie we have given cheese already . We just cut a piece of block cheese and she eats that

thanks, cinder. might give that a go too, just wasn't sure as my little guy has no teeth yet. wondered how he'd go with something harder than the softer veges/fruit he's been having.

No teeth here yet either still all gums haha
    DD went ok with it , she kinda sucks on it breaks bits off with her gums .
    But I figured she would be ok with that as I give her cucumbers all the time in pieces and she does the same thing with those ..

cinder, do you take skin off cucumber or leave on?

also, with veges like zucchini, squash - do you peel the skin off, or leave on?

I peel the cucumber and then cut it down the middle so it's two pieces ..

No I don't normally peel those vegies as I make sure they are steamed well so the skin is softer , I find that when they gum off the skin they spit if out anyway . So far have had no probs with skin .
    Except we had dinner out the other week and the zuchini was so hard I couldn't give it to DD same with the carrots :/

I leave skin on, because it makes it easier for them to grip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast