Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bub is hungry

Default Bub is hungry

I've come to the conclusion that DD is hungry a lot. At 4.5 months she started feeding 3-4 hourly at night, to match daytime. At first I thought growth spurt, but it continued. Then I thought sleep regression, but a couple of things have happened lately to make me think hunger.

The first is that she absolutely WILL NOT resettle at night unless she is breastfed.. I've tried everything bar CC (which I will not do!) and she won't take no for an answer.

The second is, her weight and height have both remained in 75th percentile. The night feedings would be keeping them there, extra milk volume taken per feed?

Thirdly, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed my appetite and thirst increase hugely at all hours, just like when she was a newborn and I was first feeding her.

Fourthly, I am losing cm around my waist (woohoo) despite stuffing my face and drinking heaps of water.

She's not that great at holding most foods yet. Apart from regular practice, are there any other things I can do to help her fill up or do I just grin and beAr it?

I say grin and bear it; if baby can't put food in the mouth then baby isn't ready for food. Most babies need feeding overnight for at least the first six months, many for more than that. Even when they have solid food (Liebs was about 10 months, when it was a quick suck to get to sleep rather than a feed).

On the up-side, you get lots and lots of baby snuggles, the ability to eat loads and lose weight and a lack of a headache from listening to baby CIO.

Btw forgot to say she is 7mo and has been doing BLW since 6 mo and can put stuff in and chew it but doesn't get much down yet.

That's a good sign that solid food isn't what her body needs atm. You could force-feed her solids, but that wouldn't be in her best interests.

For the first 12 months, milk is really all that's needed for a baby.

I agree with TFB. If she's not getting a lot of food in herself, then she's not ready for it. Also, if it's the night waking you're worried about, chances are more solids won't fix it. My DD is 15 months, eats like a grown man and still wakes 3 times at night. It's only recently that she's eaten so much though. She still loves her breastmilk, and averages five feeds during the day. She'll still only go back to sleep at night with a breastfeed. It's a fantastic time to appreciate and love her, when it's dark and quiet and she's snuggled up against me with her hand on my chest

My kids didn't really take to solids til about 8-10 months old. And both the ones I fed for longer were still feeding 2 hourly through the day & 2 or 3 times overnight.

DD3 has only just been weaned (to the point I'm not even sure I can say she is yet ), but she was still feeding 2 - 3 hourly through the day & at least twice over night. Just as much for thirst as anything else

My 8 month old wakes for feeds 4, 5 or more times overnight. I only survive through cosleeping, and knowing that eventually it will stop. My dd first slept for a 5 hour stint at 15 months of age. i am hoping hoping that ds doesn't take that long.

You are doing such a great job.Your little one is exploring food, if not eating much, and this makes her more likely to be a good eater later. i totally get why you are worried about her being hungry, but honestly, none of those signs you mentioned necessarily indicate that. She is doing so well on your breastmilk and will eat when she's ready. Solids are really just for fun and learning at this stage. Keep up the great work.

TBH it's not so much that I'm worried about her being hungry... It's more that I don't do sleep deprivation well. Entirely selfish reasons I know! But I'm the kind of person who needs 9 hours unbroken between particular times. Of course none of those criteria have been met since halfway through pregnancy, but I try where I can, lol. I'll just keep wading through the murky blurry haze then. At least she'll be BLW'd

My now 4 year old feed 2hourly over night till she was 2. Even when she ate heaps of solids. Some kids are just like that. I ended up co-sleeping so she could feed and I could sleep/snooze why she feed.

Hi,

Often the first foods we give babies tend to be rather low in calories - the sort of foods we'd eat if we were on a diet. At this age (7mnths) she need normal family foods - whatever you are having she can have. If they are only having small amounts then they need to be packed with nutrition! Is she having meat yet? She could definately try that. Some spag bol sauce in her vegies or some meat from your slow cooked casserole or shank. If she tolerates dairy (or dairy is not an issue in your family) she can have yogurt. Eggs are good if there are no allergy problems and have plenty of iron. (once again this is for families where there are no allergies - which thankfully is still most of us) Some of these foods may be more comfortable served with a spoon - that's all part of baby led weaning - you give them access to these foods so they can try for themselves.

Yeah, it's just she gets so frustrated cause she can't get those things in her mouth yet. I suppose it's all practice though. When do you eat dinner out of interest? I feel like I barely have time to squeeze in her breakfast, lunch and a snack before her bedtime.

dinner at 4:30

I fix that by having kids who don't need sleep
    Last edited by OceanPrincess; September 29th, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Correcting typo!

MadB all of you or just the baby/children?

all of us! Well, DH isn't home from work then. I've just gotten used to it - it's more like 5pm now... really going wild. And there's no way I'm making 2 meals.

So DH has his reheated? I hear you! I have no choice but to make 2 meals cause of my PKU. That's why I'm so glad DD can have what Daddy has

Yeah. I guess. He figures it out himself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast