Thread: Does this mean she's not ready yet?

Default Does this mean she's not ready yet?

I waited until DD was just over 6mths (3weeks ago) before giving her any solid food and had full intentions of doing BLS as I did with DS. I found it easy with him, he took to food really quickly and loved it.
    DD on the other hand is stressing me out! It has been such a different experience this time around. Breastfeeding has been a disaster and she is now FF (whole other post, but I'm still not over it) and she seemed very keen to eat and got so excited when I gave her some food to eat. She scoffed it down on day 1. Ever since she has started gagging whenever there is anything other than mush in her mouth. She gags until she brings up whatever is in her belly, so it's safe to say we have had some huge chucks the last couple of weeks. I started giving her some purees and she loved that and was happy, but now she's even gagging on that. This morning she had about 4 spoons of porridge before she started gagging and brought it back up along with her bottle. I'm wondering if I should just leave it for a bit. She was a bit of a chucky baby until she was about 3 months and then it calmed right down. I'm just really not sure if I should keep going or stop altogether? She's almost 7 months.

DS is a similar age, 7 months yesterday, and a chucky baby. i am doing BLS but going pretty slowly, (cos i don't like cleaning up spew). Some days i don't offer any food, other days i offer a bit more. I try to offer tasters rather than a meal for now and try to stop before we get vomit.

DD took a couple of months before she started to really get into food too.

I really thought my days of full changes of clothes for the both of us after a big chuck were over. I can't handle the washing!!

Ok, I wont let it stress me out and will just take our time. I think because DS was so easy when it came to food, I was expecting the same again.

My DD was like that. Dead keen, but gagged and vomited till she was 7.5 months and didnt' really eat anything till 8 months. She was fine, however.

I'm sorry breastfeeding didn't work out for you

Quote Originally Posted by MadB View Post
    My DD was like that. Dead keen, but gagged and vomited till she was 7.5 months and didnt' really eat anything till 8 months. She was fine, however.

I'm sorry breastfeeding didn't work out for you
    Thank you It's hard after a successful breastfeeding experience with my DS for it to all fall apart this time. But it did, and I am slowly coming to terms with it. I'm still trying to figure out this FF thing. It's completely foreign to me and I need to be so much more organised now that I can't just get a boob out!

How have the last couple of days been?

I also try to avoid foods (for now) or only offer small amounts of foods, that stick to the tongue- bread, banana etc cos they seem to cause more gagging. Porridge could be similar.

Zucchini, cucumber and roast potato slices haven't resulted in much gagging/chucking.

I haven't offered anything else the last couple of days. I'll try a few new things over the weekend, especially the vegies you suggested. I've noticed her appetite has increased today so maybe she had been feeling a bit under the weather. The rest of us have had colds this week and she didn't have any obvious symptoms but still may not have been 100%.

It does sound like she just might not be totally ready yet. Like all things babies, they do things in their own time I don't think it would hurt to wait a little while longer, but if you want to keep trying then maybe you could give her smooth things and let her feed herself with her hands to continue the BLS method (which I also love ). That way she is still in control of what is going in her mouth so hopefully less chance of gagging. Or how about some large strips of meat that she could chew on, but that aren't going to break into bits? My DS and DD1 loved gnawing and sucking on meat. It's great for iron stores too