Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremist...?

Default Extremist...?

My mum was quite ok with it. FIL and MIL I think thought we were odd and MIL kept freaking out that DD was choking. But SIL has done it with her DD now too and I think they totally see the benefits. But MIL still has a mini panic if she hears a slight cough etc during meal time!

to me it is just so normal that I get taken aback when ppl question me, or ask if it is ok if the baby is ok eat that. DD2 grabbed a lamb chop from my plate and started gnawing on it at 4.5 months. totally unprompted and so i followed her lead. the only puree she ate really was from those squeezy packs when we travel hahaha.

my mothers group would get freaked out but with me being a 'homebirther' they just let me be and put it down to another crazy hippy thing hahaha.

Default Re: Extremist...?

ive been lucky so far. no neg comments. it makes way more sense for me to do it this way. this way she learns to chew before she learns to swolllow (with mash/puree they swollow before they chew) plus im lazy, this is so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius2 View Post
    my mothers group would get freaked out but with me being a 'homebirther' they just let me be and put it down to another crazy hippy thing hahaha.
    so true.

Default Extremist...?

With ds the Inlaws and dh would freak out and get grumpy at me because sometimes he would choke and puke a bit but he got there in the end I do a combination though

This is where living away from our families is handy, they know DS has started solids and we've sent pictures of him with food from head to toe but not had to explain exactly how it's being served to him!

It doesn't help that lots of people confuse gagging with choking, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by MadB View Post
    It doesn't help that lots of people confuse gagging with choking, yeah.
    Yeah they are two very different things

We only got questioned once, by friends if DH. We were up there for dinner and got asked what to put on DDs plate when she was about 7 or 8 months. Told them just a mini version of ours. She automatically smooshed everything and Dd looked at her plate and refused to eat. I handed her something off mine and she gummed down on it. They were shocked and asked why we did it that way, what we were teaching her (yeah, cos teaching her to eat real food is bad, right??) and how did we expect to make sure dd was nourished. Hmmmm. Well it is more "real" this way, we are teaching her to eat what she feels she needs to and ummmm food is fun until she's one. All she NEEDS is breast milk ( and that got the big eyebrow raise - even when she was a matter of weeks old and I dared to not hide away!).

This couple were late 40's so not that old either

Older friends and family were more understanding or bit silly enough to question me lol

Initally yep. DD1 wasn't the first grandchild on my side and my sister did what mum told her. My mum has since changed her tune and was doing BLS with my youngest nephew (whom she cared for 7-5 5 days a week).
    She was the first on DH's side and they expected me to do what they thought....they have since put up or shut up lol.

Now....call me lazy but it's the easiest way to go I reckon.

No one thinks any one thing I do is any more weird than everything else now, so I guess they'd all be surprised if I did something 'normal'. LOL What with the homebirthing, full term breastfeeding, babywearing and BLSing, there's plenty to wonder at. Lucky cloth nappies are not uncommon around here!

In my own family, DD1 was the first on both sides, watching her and DD2 has led both my sister and SIL to do BLS with their babies. Not sure about my second sister, because her bub is still too small for food, but probably.

It's also led my mum to adjust her feeding of the foster babies she cares for, although that is probably because my sister does BLS too and she lives nearby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12