Thread: Questions

Default Questions

So we are just starting out with BLS and I'm hoping I know what I'm doing. So, question time . . . did you start bub on pretty much what you were eating from the word go? Did they love it right from the start? How did you cope with the constant gagging at first? Is copious amounts of spew at first normal? Have you ever had any actual choking moments or is it just all dramatic gagging?

I've been giving the girls bits if what we are having for tea. They sit up at the table and eat at the same time as we do. I'm so paranoid about choking - will this fear lessen? G is right into it and having a fine old time while E grabs the food fine and has a good gum of it but always ends in either a massive vomit or she will scream and cry? What's the go with that? We don't force the food issue in any way - if they want the food, its there, if they want to play with it, fine and if they don't want to eat it, we just leave them to watch us or play.

Also I know that breast milk is plenty for them at this stage and they don't need anything else but just reassure me that its fine that they don't seem to be actually eating anything yet. And that I don't need to give any purées or anything because no food seems to be going in.

TIA

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Default Questions

Sounds normal although not so sure about the chucking

Not sure about the chucking here either?? Babies have an amazing gag reflex so it's very rare for them to actually choke - that's not to say you should give them food then leave the room, they def still need supervision, but if they are given foods of appropriate size there should be no problems. I'm pretty sure prior to 12 months, it's all about the taste and texture, rather than how much they actually eat. Breast milk is more than enough for them, so don't stress

Default Questions

It doesn't seem to matter what she eats either in regards to the power chucks. Whether its fruit, veggies, meat, porridge - all comes back up and some regardless. She is a reflux baby, don't know if that has any bearing on things.

Absolutely, reflux has an effect. My #1 gagged abit, and might have chucked once or twice. #2 who still had reflux symptoms when we started BLS would do the same power chucks.

I went slowly with him, because i didn't want to deal with the massive vomit, and i figured it wasn't that nice for him either. He was keen, but his body wasn't yet. As his throat got stronger, he was able to take more food in and not chuck. - By go slowly, i mean i only offered small amounts of food, and once the gag reflex started going i didn't offer anymore. I also took a break of a meal or a day or more and only offered breastmilk when the reflux was going through a bad period.

The gag reflex is normal, and it is the way babies learn to eat, but when the baby also has a weak sphincter at the top of their tummy and all the food ejects when the gag reflex is stimulated, it's not nice.